PDA

View Full Version : very bad news for my car....

BA55UP
18th April 2006, 09:29 PM
on easter sunday 16th of april at 2am i was travelling along parramatta road
i was with my g/f going to pick up her sister from church street and she was asleep next to me.
i was cruising along minding my own business (didnt want to speed as it was double demerit weekend) and i have grown accustom to late night driving as my mates always call me to come grab them after they have a big night out, so i was wide awake
i was driving in the right lane (3 lane main road) with a taxi in front of me (about 50m down the road) so i decide to change lanes.
i look over my right shoulder then indicate to go into the next lane, i then look back to change and the taxi is now stationary and about to do a U-Turn in the middle of a 6 lane road!!!
i slam the brakes but it was too late.....
i hit him at about 40 maybe 50km/h and he was stationary at the time with his brakes on so my car got pretty much cleaned up....
bonnet is pushed in nicley and the lights are smashed, my bumper was chopped in half and is basically irreplacable over here..... radiator is pushed up the engine and has also damaged the block, the front axcel is bent on the car and the suspension on the right side is gone.
est about 8 - 9k but he has to pay up cause it was his fault
i will keep you all updated, heres the pic of the car in its current state...
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5558/image005copy1mj.th.jpg (http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image005copy1mj.jpg)
its a shame shes in this state but hopefully i will be able to still keep her :( 2 years of money and hard work down the drain in 5 seconds, guess we all just have to be careful when driving....

EL BURITO
18th April 2006, 09:39 PM
horrible mate. Hope its not a right off

Charlatan
18th April 2006, 09:42 PM
unfortunate.

Didnt you just have another rear ender?

oneightoo
18th April 2006, 09:45 PM
at least he will have to pay to fix it.. what u gonna do about the front bar? getting another one? or putting your stocker back on?

CJB
18th April 2006, 09:56 PM
sorry to hear man, thats horrible... and I feel for ya.

and u are so lucky they did class it as his fault, I know it is/was - but u know that silly rule that if YOU run up someone it's YOUR fault etc... just glad that he has to pay.

but that doesn't compensate time, effort and energy spent on the car does it.

sorry man.

Misguidedangel
18th April 2006, 10:05 PM
Sorry to hear alex... Looks just like the lancer did about a month ago :( Cept that got written off... Hope its all repairable and at least he'll be paying for it... Bloody taxis

Hope you're okay

Shaun
18th April 2006, 10:13 PM
Shame to see that .

But how do you get he was at fault if you dont mine me asking? isnt the ruling that if you hit someone from behind no matter what you are at fault?

Good luck though if he is paying and hopefully he comes through otherwise Insurance companys will see it as your at fault and you will be charged with the excess .

maloo97
18th April 2006, 10:43 PM
Ba55up Sorry to hear what happened. I know how you feel a few weeks back same sort of thing happened to me also with a taxi ... Anyways ....

at least no one was seriouly hurt and at the end of the day it's just a car... (But a Bloody smick sweet ass ride) Hope all goes your way and you should be back Terrorising the Streets in no time!

PaulyJ
18th April 2006, 10:45 PM
Dude, to be honest, stuff the car, it can be repaired. The main focus here is are you, your gf and the taxi driver. Are you all ok? Hope no-one got injured.
Its a bummer because you just got your car back not long ago, and now it'll be off the road again.
Hope all goes well for you, and that everyone is ok.

DirtyHarry
18th April 2006, 10:50 PM
main thing is that everybody is ok. but the general rule is with insurance companies is that if you hit a stationary vehicle from behind its going to be your fault, as you should have enough time to react to such a situation like this.

CJB
18th April 2006, 10:51 PM
is the car being written off?

because usually on front end damage, when a lifetime guarantee is placed on the repairs, (and they say the car never runs the same after extensive damage) they usually write them off. Mine was gone because of axle damage.

Just wondering... and the damage bill seems about half the cost of the car.

Still - it's an awful thing, and not knowing what happens to the car is even worse.

SSS_Hoon
19th April 2006, 04:26 AM
how did u get away with it being his fault?

were the cops called?

did he say it was his fault and you got proof he said that?

otherwise its your fault man.

SSS_Hoon

BA55UP
19th April 2006, 09:03 AM
its his fualt for neg driving, he was trying to do a U-turn on double lines

i dont think its a rite off, the air bags didnt pop so we will have to wait and see.... he got fined for the neg driving so i think thats proof enough lol

anyways yea the wost part is not having a car for like 3 weeks :(

lowey22
19th April 2006, 09:45 AM
sorry to hear that man. if he got fined for neg driving you should be sweet (i think). i assume you didnt get fined for anything?

BA55UP
19th April 2006, 09:48 AM
nope, i wasnt wearing shoes at the time but thats cause i took them off lol, i put them on before i got out of the car

Wattie
19th April 2006, 10:46 AM
me thinks it will take longer than 3 weeks to fix that, but i think you knew someone in the car fixin game hey...

CateO
19th April 2006, 10:52 AM
OUCH!
Sorry to see ... very sorry to see.
Glad that everyone is ok.
Reminds me of my accimadental. *ouch*

JohnBu
19th April 2006, 11:08 AM
sorry to hear, but at least everyone is safe.

thats the good thing about the astra, they are pretty strong (and safe) cars.

my cousin had a larger accident, about a month after she picked up her brand new TS astra... car is fine.

however with any largish accident, i would rather they write the car off, but that doesnt really look like a write off.

hope the repairs are done spot on.

CJB
19th April 2006, 11:20 AM
dont they also to determine whether the car is a write off or not look at the repair costs and if it's over a certain percentage of the cars market value they write off?

I am not sure, that's why asking...

and those 3 weeks without it will be hell - but least it will be back as good as new.

CateO
19th April 2006, 11:23 AM
Yes Crispeh ... they did that with my Bro's car.
It was not quite 75% of the value of the car, so they fixed it.

blueraven
19th April 2006, 12:27 PM
same thing nearly happened to me a few years back, a taxi decided to swerve to the left without indicating and i though ok retard and i indicated to go around him and didnt slow down....

he proceeded to swing out in front of me and do a u-turn across 4 lanes without indicating, i slammed on the brakes and took evasive action, as did the car behind me, both of us screeching to a halt...taxi keeps driving and even yelled out at me!!! i should have floored it into him...i have airbags :)

Vectracious
19th April 2006, 02:48 PM
Sorry to hear about that Ba55up - hopefully everything gets sorted real soon.

Its interesting that you said the airbags didnt go off and that you reckon you hit at 40-50km/h.

InsaneAsylum
19th April 2006, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear about that Ba55up - hopefully everything gets sorted real soon.

Its interesting that you said the airbags didnt go off and that you reckon you hit at 40-50km/h.

i've seen similar damage causing collisions where the airbags have gone off. you just got work done on the front of your car right?? i wonder if the sensors have been played with?

BA55UP
19th April 2006, 05:14 PM
no no, you see i hit his corner, and it was in between the sensors, and because i have a fobire glass bumper, the impact wasnt as spread because the bumper just cracked instead of folding like the plastic one would do, this cause the enrgey from the taxi to be centered in one spot, which unfortunetly wasnt on one of my senses

MatsHolden
19th April 2006, 09:28 PM
Sorry to here mate! Probably a good thing the air bags didn't deploy otherwise that'd mean more time off the road to get them replaced. Hope you can get it back on the road. I thought the airbags were deployed by the computer sensing a drematic reduction in speed, rather than sensors in the bumper?

PaulyJ
19th April 2006, 10:26 PM
not on dramatic reduction of speed... otherwise mine would've gone off cruising thru the mountains... :rolleyes:

BA55UP
19th April 2006, 10:50 PM
yea i dunno maybe somework like that :?

pred8r
19th April 2006, 11:47 PM
not good, does this mean you will now get to drive 'your dads' car in the garage?

(i think it was you)

CAL.16V
20th April 2006, 01:12 AM
not too good mate... car looks pretty bad... hoepfully you wont loose out on this.... the bar may be fixable being fibreglass as it dosnt look too bad from the pics..

ultim8DTM5
20th April 2006, 10:35 PM
Good news on the infringement notice. Just hope he doesn't fight it and get it set aside!

MiksOpel
20th April 2006, 11:44 PM
Good to hear your alright champ
Hope all is good,

woody
21st April 2006, 10:53 AM
Man that sucks.. bloody taxi drivers are a menace - hope it all gets fixed up for you quick

JR
21st April 2006, 10:49 PM
damn!!!
very sorry to hear dat.

all that hard work over the years....n some idiot had to spoil it all in a split second.

dat 5UX

180HOA
22nd April 2006, 08:53 AM
I thought the airbags were deployed by the computer sensing a drematic reduction in speed, rather than sensors in the bumper?

That's right. Changing the bumper wouldn't affect airbag deployment. The sensor is there to detect if the car decelerates (crashes) fast enough to make your head hit the steering wheel - then the airbag/s should deploy. My partner used to sell Holden - one day he was on a test drive in an Astra with a woman who managed to run into a tree - ands after that she declared the car was unsafe because the airbags didn't go off - despite the fact she was uninjured :s

ultim8DTM5
22nd April 2006, 09:00 AM
In some collisions it is far more dangerous for the airbags to deploy.

My dad hit a kanagroo at 120kph in his 325Ci. Caused $10k of damage, however, he managed to keep driving. Had the airbags deployed, it could have been a far worse fate.