PDA

View Full Version : SRI-Turbo VS 1997 Import Integra Type R

FLY-SRi
22nd April 2004, 08:21 PM
Hey guys my mate recently bought a 97 Imported Integra Type R and he was telling me that he could whip me in my SRI turbo, is this true? coz the current Type R is slower then stock SRi Turbo, does any1 know how quick they are? should i give him a run with my stock SRI-T?

My04SRi
22nd April 2004, 08:28 PM
i think them type r are like 147kw at the wheels N/A

Jass
22nd April 2004, 08:28 PM
The integra type R is 147kw with only 178nm of torque. My mate has a limited editon which is 147kw and not the standard 140kw that most integras come with.

The SRI turbo's are 140kw(true figure) and 250nm of torque.
I can tell you that the SRI turbo would win hands down over the integra, and i have done it raced and integra with extractors and exhaust, and with only cat back on mine at the time, 1st and 2nd pretty equal but as soon as i hit 3rd i left that integra eating my dust. Good thing about the integra is that it has an LSD so you can put the power down to the ground much quicker.

FLY-SRi
22nd April 2004, 08:36 PM
hey thanks alots...think i mite make my mate eat his words or eat my dust :lol:

Jass
22nd April 2004, 08:38 PM
Exaclty mate, prove it to him on the track, type R is good for track great suspension and LSD help place power to the tyres much better the the astra, but the astra engine is overall better, with boost pretty much across all revs.

InsaneAsylum
22nd April 2004, 11:28 PM
you'll get your ass kicked... your turbo is nothing compared to the wrath of the almighty VTEC! :P

Degen-Astra
22nd April 2004, 11:37 PM
Wouldnt you hate to be that indecisive Type R VTEC Astra!?!? :wink:

Jass
23rd April 2004, 06:31 AM
You gotta rev the tits of a Type R to get it moving pffft!

SmellyTofu
23rd April 2004, 07:16 AM
Turbo a Type R... (my friend has one built by Belperformance).. and quietly speaking, it kicks ass.

Yes, the LSD rocks coz it actually pulls the car in, preventing it from understeering. Point them both on the old pacific hwy and you'd be actually surprised who would win and it's not a turbo. 0-100 runs is just boring and of course the turbo will work better but probably not that much more.

Jass, nothing wrong with revs.... nothing worse than a 6k redline when you just want to keep going to the 8-9 range.

Seriously speaking though... I have never considered an Astra to be a racer.. more a high performance touring car.. something classier than the raw Type R and something liveable though I could live in a Type R as a daily driver.

Jass
23rd April 2004, 07:24 AM
Dont get me wrong, i love the Type R's i was considering one before purchasing the astra, as a N/A there awsome specially how you feel the car slam you to the back of the seat when you hit 8000rpm. A turbo Typre R would kick ass, the power through the middle range rpm's and then the vtec way at the top what else can you ask for, however were talking big $ specially since you would need to drop the compression to accomedate the Turbo, i saw one of this in autospeed a few issues back.

SmellyTofu
23rd April 2004, 07:32 AM
My friend's one originally didn't require the engine to be touched (been rebuilt now since it can be done)... ran 6psi boost... spent a shitload of money for it... It's something I wouldn't put my foot down completely on though... considering I was going to build a 3SGTE Camry... (in FWD) :evil:

rjastra
23rd April 2004, 09:22 AM
Seriously speaking though... I have never considered an Astra to be a racer.. more a high performance touring car.. something classier than the raw Type R and something liveable though I could live in a Type R as a daily driver.

Agreed, even the turbo Astra doesn't have the feedback or control of the old 306 GTi-6.

I swapped cars with a mate (type R) on Thunderbolts Way. He was dimayed by the Astra's understeer (my car has more neg camber at front and Konis) and the way the brakes faded down the hill.

The Type R certainly hauled arse by the lack of refinement was amazing. I couldn't live a car like that. The engine was coarse (compared to the 2.2L) and the road noise was astonishing. The lift off oversteer was rather sudden as well. Exciting drive though :shock:

The other point I noticed was that the Integra really disliked the bumpy roads (thunderbolts etc) It was quite easy to stay with him in bumpy corners etc. The Astra (with Konis) just smothers bumps.

Smooth roads or long straights and it was no contest. The Type R was gone!!

SmellyTofu
23rd April 2004, 09:25 AM
Your bum gets used to the harder ride though and I think the ride of the Type R beats my car in Eibach and Koni anyday. Maybe the seats in the Astra probably needs stiffening up to stop me bobbing up and down inside.

shaohaok
23rd April 2004, 07:34 PM
i think that the JDM typeR might just pip u. astra turbo might have torque, but the typeR is like close to 200kg lighter. if both launch at their best, i think the astra turbo would get a bit of a headstart in first gear but once the typeR gets going its gonna keep pulling away.

Jass
23rd April 2004, 08:35 PM
Like i said before great cars for the track. Yes they are light, great package, i know there was an issue in speed magazine on a civic type R (ran the integra engine) they also run them in the uk for racing ??? saw a pic of one running 200kw or so??

Pretty cool for N/A

SmellyTofu
23rd April 2004, 10:38 PM
That would be the Spoon Civic... B18A with plenty of mods... There is a EK Civic Type R with a red "B16A" plates floating around in the North Rocks area... lovely car! saw plenty of them in Melbourne... well, in Chinatown really.

Anonymous
23rd April 2004, 11:26 PM
That would be the Spoon Civic... B18A with plenty of mods... There is a EK Civic Type R with a red "B16A" plates floating around in the North Rocks area... lovely car! saw plenty of them in Melbourne... well, in Chinatown really.

Mockup Civic Type R in Melb. China Town.
Theres only 4-5 Genuine In OZ (According to HondaOZ)
3 of are In Victoria.
1 is a Road Reg. Car.
The others are a Race/Rally.
One was for sale on Firesport.com for around $20K

SmellyTofu
24th April 2004, 06:09 AM
This was one of them I saw in Sept last yr.

Anonymous
24th April 2004, 08:20 AM
I used to see that one Around in Melb. Around 2001-2002.
I think Now its all Riced up :( Black Bonnet and Stickers :(
I think the Mitsubishi Colt in Front would Kick its RS :lol:

Anonymous
24th April 2004, 03:38 PM
Type-R would open a can of woop ass on the Sri-Turbo.....especially the import model.

Anonymous
24th April 2004, 04:11 PM
i was just gonna say that.
The import is a raw-race car.

It would be very close, and i do think the Type R would win.

BoostedAstra
24th April 2004, 04:38 PM
Even though i drive a SriT i would not be confident going head to head with a type R sure the turbo may help but the teggy is in a diff class as said prev. I have noticed that directional changes and minor adjustments when in excess of say 130km in the turbo dont exactly inspire confidence as the car gets so damm nervous, maybe with some minor tweeks to sus and a serious diet would maybe put these two a lil closer but currently(read stock, cept cat back and de-restricted air box) i wouldn't waste my petrol trying......

FLY-SRi
24th April 2004, 06:39 PM
dont get me wrong here i reckon the type R is a sick are too, i was considering getting 1, but ive seen some race times older type r and the current type r for the 1/4 mile and they dont seem that quick. my mates type R is said to be totally stock. BTW wots the rev limit on the type R?

shaohaok
24th April 2004, 07:10 PM
the new civic typeR that runs the same k20a engine(but in a different tune) as the integra "typeR" in aus, gets to 100km/h in under 7secs.

the new integra typeR(aus model) revs to about 8500ish rpm.
the older b16b civic typeR has a tacho that says 10,000rpm. not sure if it can actually get there but i think pretty damn close to that is good enough!

aus delivered integra typeR is always seems de-tuned, prolly due to the availability of higher octane fuel

Anonymous
25th April 2004, 03:57 PM
I can tell you now that the differnece between a DC5 Type R and a Astra-T in the 1/4 mile is NOTHING. It comes down to driver.

Ask GMAN off these forums. we had a run one night and it was even up a slight rise, and I stayed with him. He pulled a bit then I pulled a bit and we steyed even, he had just a muffler at that time.

Jass, if your friend has a DC2 Limited Edition, he only recieved the factroy 141KW and the 178nm Torque. THe DC5 then got a power upgrade and a extra 200cc to 147kw and 192nm Torque.

Jass, another thing. With the OLD DC2 TYpe R, you did have to rev them, though with the new DC5 Type R, you dont. I drove GMAN's Astra-T and it actually felt very similer to my car to drive with the low down torque, though My top end was significantly better then his.

I think the Astra is a great car, and has a lot of potential, you just need to release the hP :)

Anonymous
25th April 2004, 03:58 PM
dont get me wrong here i reckon the type R is a sick are too, i was considering getting 1, but ive seen some race times older type r and the current type r for the 1/4 mile and they dont seem that quick. my mates type R is said to be totally stock. BTW wots the rev limit on the type R?

DC5-R cuts in at 8400rpm

Jass
25th April 2004, 06:13 PM
Ahh ok that makes sense, like i said when i drove my mates car it basically threw you back into the seats,(high RPM's) felt awsome, real power, however running the astra T and the integra side by side it was pretty equal, the Type R is much lighter then the astra correct?? Would love to see this cars head to head at wakefield, i reckon the Integra would win hands down! Great suspension pacakge on them, thats the only thing the little astra needs :( and a damn LSD

FLY-SRi
25th April 2004, 06:50 PM
So with simple mods like performance filter, cat back exhaust how much power do u guys think ill gain from stock SRI-T?

BTW- i totally agree that it all comes down to the driver no doubts about it

Jass
26th April 2004, 05:44 PM
5- 10kw max. Wouldn't think any more from this sorta mods.

Turblue
26th April 2004, 06:29 PM
Jass is pretty spot on. Don't expect any great change from catback and intake.

dug74
26th April 2004, 08:27 PM
http://members.optushome.com.au/dugless74/Vectra/vtecstats.jpg

Lets just say.....the astra is better stickin to the winding open roads...not the race track

Anonymous
26th April 2004, 08:33 PM
http://members.optushome.com.au/dugless74/Vectra/vtecstats.jpg

Lets just say.....the astra is better stickin to the winding open roads...not the race track

Just like to point out that you should compare JDM DC5 to JDM EP3

rjastra
26th April 2004, 10:28 PM
[/QUOTE]you just need to release the hP [/QUOTE]

Everyone is totally forgetting the HUGE advantage the Astra T has in torque. 70+Nm or nearly 40% more than the Integra.

If you do not absolutely completely , totally whip the arse of the Type R it will get trounced by the Astra turbo.
Roll-on acceleration (you know, real world driving) will be even more in favour of the Astra.
It's all about the area under the power/torque curves :twisted:

Anonymous
27th April 2004, 06:17 AM
you just need to release the hP [/QUOTE]

Everyone is totally forgetting the HUGE advantage the Astra T has in torque. 70+Nm or nearly 40% more than the Integra.

If you do not absolutely completely , totally whip the arse of the Type R it will get trounced by the Astra turbo.
Roll-on acceleration (you know, real world driving) will be even more in favour of the Astra.
It's all about the area under the power/torque curves :twisted:[/quote]

Mine was a rolling start with gman, he pulled a little on me, and then as soon as Vtec Kicked in, I pulled what I lose back on him. It was even up a slight rise, .

And you dont have to whip the DC5-R to get it going mate.

Brett
8th November 2005, 10:49 PM
Theres a simple answer to this, The type R is not a straight line car, and would struggle like hell to keep up with a stock turbo in a straight line. It will handle better then an astra turbo, but it has had alot of development money poured into it and it has a superior suspension set up. But for 900 bucks you can chip the astra turbo, then spend your cash on new springs and bilsteins, and then my friends I can tell you, the thing handles like its on rails, although it doesnt like really dodgy bumpy roads when cornering. Its actually a completely different car.... a much better one, and type Rs will really learn to stay well clear from you, as will wrxs and even V8s. I would recommend doing more then this, but its definitely a good start.... the ultimate sleeper hatch.

Namus
9th November 2005, 07:13 AM
well if u give me a Turbo, then I can get started!! lol

JakeSRIT
9th November 2005, 02:36 PM
hey guys

my mate has a high compression 2.2 ltr vtec in his crx, full exhaust, extractors,

now when my car was stock as a rock i Farkin killed him, in all gears up to the start of 4th and then i stop racing.

im talkin 4 or 5 cars in front and still gaining more.

in theory the vtec may have 147 but i dought thats at the wheels, and with the higher compression of a vtec, off the line the my car just pulled away

so that answers that question.

Namus
9th November 2005, 02:55 PM
the 147kw is NOT at the wheels; thats from the engine....it's about 118-125kw (at most) at the front wheels...

low astra
9th November 2005, 04:38 PM
my mate had a integera type R with a edelbrock plemun chamber, uni chip, rear muffler adjustable cam gears ( that were dialed in ), kn air filter, extractors,

it was produceing 118kw @ wheels by memory, and i had been in it racing door 2 door against a sti wrx my 03, never got the chance 2 race a astra turbo, but i honestly believe it may be a chalange,

remember all the figures given with a car are at the flywheel, hp a touqe dont mean much when u also add weight of the cars, different chasie configurations, gearbox ratios, tyre and rim size,

i dont mean a niki could destroy a porsche with the right conditions but a integra type R is a very capiable car, and should not be underestimated

pred8r
9th November 2005, 05:50 PM
Not everything gets down to Kw's, throw in power to weight ratio, torque and gearing, and over what distance as well. (Its why a SRi Barina will give a Gen3 a good scare in the traffic-light races)

Anyone seen a truck running bobtail (no trailer) and the guy in a hurry? they move MUCH quicker than you think.

Also theres Fast and theres Quick, gimme quick anyday.

JakeSRIT
9th November 2005, 06:14 PM
you guys can say what u want but i killed that 2.2

thats enuff proof for me lol

that worked integra might keep up but i dought it

astras are supprising, my first and second are short but my third gear is super long and anything i come across even a sti has been caught by my 3rd gear. thats just my car tho esspecially now that ive worked it a bit

pred8r
9th November 2005, 06:27 PM
'I' believe you, a lot of doubters didnt believe cars that Ive beaten.