PDA

View Full Version : The Age Old Insurance Question "Who To Use"

PRC33Y
13th April 2006, 07:33 PM
Hi All,

Long time no post.......

I need some car insurance on the Astra G before 15th at midnight.

I just rang Budget Direct www.budgetdirect.com.au and they wont insure me because i have "sports exhaust" which i deem to not be an engine modification but anyway that their decision, but they would insure me if it was a sports"get this" tip!!. Its only from the cat back so nothing like extractors etc.... BAAAAHHH

If Budget would insure me it would be only about $550 for the year.

GIO and NRMA want a ridiculous $800 a year which is a rort.

I live in Taree NSW 2430, am 25yrs old and male

Have a November 2000 Astra 5dr Hatchback 5sp Manual

I have HBD Body Kit / 16" CSV Alloy Wheels / Sports Exhaust / Sports Suspension / Tinted Windows / CD Player / A/C.

What other insurers do you guys and girls think would be worth trying. I have the maximum NCD cause im an awesome driver :-)

Please help....im guessing you city folk are jealous!!

beep beep sri
13th April 2006, 08:04 PM
im the same age get onto aami.they let you have the zorst mags sterio etc

gaero
13th April 2006, 09:51 PM
I had to phone up aami a couple of time when I got my cat back. They kept on calling is an exhaust TIP. which worried me because when you need to claim they can void the insurance as you have done more than a tip???? mmmmmmmmmm

Lucky_Astra06
13th April 2006, 10:36 PM
try just cars which is an off branch of aami... im wif dem and they where da cheapest 4 me by like 120.. u can do online valuation thing off der website think its justcar.com.au

PRC33Y
13th April 2006, 11:10 PM
PFFFFTTTT. Just got a quote on justcar and they quoted me $1041 its like they punish me cause i dont have and WRX and im 25 or over and dont have the B.O.V wif a big innercooler.

gemstar_007
14th April 2006, 12:18 AM
LOL .. im with just car... been with them for a while i have a squeeky clean record i dont have any mods to my astra atm... only tinting and they charge me around 750 for the year was all done ova the net in about 10 mins... :D every where else wanted like $1000 +.... :eek:

gemstar_007
14th April 2006, 12:19 AM
PFFFFTTTT. Just got a quote on justcar and they quoted me $1041 its like they punish me cause i dont have and WRX and im 25 or over and dont have the B.O.V wif a big innercooler.

the quote ova the net is alot different... give them a call and speak to someone.. im sure ull get it at a cheaper price than that. :D

Poogene2001
14th April 2006, 12:27 AM
Just bear in mind that with 'just cars', it costs less, because you get less.
I.e you are covered for only half the 3rd party damage compared to all other insurers, they dont have a 24 hour number like all other insurers (so if u crash after 6pm, you have to wait till 9am the next day before you can sort anything out, major pain in the ass unless you crash around the corner from your house!)
Not trying to put u off it though, im with them for my 2005 Astra H CDX, and they charge me $830, next cheapest was AAMI for $1300!

beep beep sri
14th April 2006, 09:31 AM
i insured threw aami on the net it was easy as and it cost me about $600. filled it all out stated that i had the zorst $3000 sterio roofracks tinted windows etc etc. agreed value on my 2002 barina sri is $18200. i looked at other companys and they where only going to insure it for around $15000. its also cheaper to insure with aami over the net

ZC_74
14th April 2006, 11:50 AM
I can't fault AAMI

They didn't question my driving history (which isn't great) and they were the cheapest.

Then two weeks ago, this knob end was reversing out of a driveway, so I stopped and he kept coming. BANG. hit me in the front. Got out, got all the details, rand AAMI and setup the claim. Next day, dropped the car off to them and five days later I picked it up repaired. They give you Taxi fares and I had ticked the rental car option so only paid $10 a day for a car.

bill142
14th April 2006, 12:34 PM
Just bear in mind that with 'just cars', it costs less, because you get less.
I.e you are covered for only half the 3rd party damage compared to all other insurers, they dont have a 24 hour number like all other insurers (so if u crash after 6pm, you have to wait till 9am the next day before you can sort anything out, major pain in the ass unless you crash around the corner from your house!)
Not trying to put u off it though, im with them for my 2005 Astra H CDX, and they charge me $830, next cheapest was AAMI for $1300!

How old are you? I insure my 05 Astra H CDX with AAMI and I only pay about $750. I'm 21 btw.

Poogene2001
14th April 2006, 11:12 PM
How old are you? I insure my 05 Astra H CDX with AAMI and I only pay about $750. I'm 21 btw.

You must have some magic powers, cos i just got an online quote (im 22 by the way) from AAMI and it said $1450, rating 1, safe area of melb, un-modified car, covered for $22500.
Unless you got some family discount, or numerous other insurance accounts with AAMI, i dont understand how u could pay half what they quoted me! :confused:

take a look for yourself!

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6687/quote8cp.jpg

beep beep sri
15th April 2006, 08:42 AM
ouch! may aswell insure a hsv would'nt cost you much more

ZC_74
15th April 2006, 09:07 AM
Guys, I admit that I am 30 but the Vectra still costs me about $600+

As far as the quote thing. This is another experience I had with AAMI

When the bought Vectra I was looking at buying a Liberty 3.0R B Spec. Very trick bit of car. I got a quote one day from them over the phone that was roughly $1600. I asid thanks and hung up. About the same time I was needing to renew home insurance and I rang AAMI and got a quote. Then as a BTW, I said can you confirm this quote for the liberty. It was completely wrong. The new quote came in at about $700.

I would suggest talking directly to them

gemstar_007
17th April 2006, 01:18 AM
i did a few online quotes with different places... they were all over the $1000 mark.. im 21 havent had any claims or anything. so i rang a few of them up and their ova the fone quote was so different to the online one. by about $200 - $400 in some cases.
i joined with jsut cars there online quote was about 900 for me and i rang up and the girl bumped it down to $750. :D so ur best of speaking to them one on one.

astraman
17th April 2006, 10:02 AM
I'm 45 live in a reasonably low risk suburb in Melbourne, use the car as a daily driver and have my house and contents insured with AAMI along with my manual astra convertible which entitles me to some sort of discount.

I pay $615 currently with a $450 excess - applies even if roof is damaged - note some companies charge extra for damage to soft tops.

AAMI have been notified of the following mods to my car:
Arm rest
Front and rear sway bars
Strut bar
Remus muffler
18 inch wheels
turbo front spoiler
OPC Opel grille and badges.

Prior to buying the Astra I was shopping around for 03 WRX quotes, I found AAMI ($1200) cheaper than Justcars ($1600) - not only that Justcars played games when it was claim time. Around $450 excess for accident if not at fault but around $1000 plus for theft.

AAMI stated (whether its still current is another matter) - you could do at least 3 mods to the WRX without any increase in premiums. Still need to notify them of mods.

Note if the mod makes the car unroadworthy eg tyres are the wrong load type (esp if going to 18's) they can refuse your claim.

PRC33Y
17th April 2006, 07:14 PM
Ok,

Got my car insured with AAMI on Saturday for $634 with $750 excess (i took the flexi premium with pay $250 extra for your excess and they will drop the insurance by 10% so i took it). The online quotes are crap to say the least even the girl i was talking to said your better to talk to someone.

EDIT: AAMI told me that once your over 25 you can do unlimited changes to your car specs - as long as your inform them. Under 25 is only 1 change.

I got the car insured for $15k - no one else wanted to insure it for much more than that which pi$$ed me off cause i know i could easily sell it for more. IMO i think insurance company rip ppl off especially the people that never make a claim. But thats my opinion.

Anyway NRMA quoted me $716 for insured to $15k

Shannons told me $1124 but they said that recent car attracted high premiums. They guy told me that i was kidding if i could get $17 -$18k for my Astra with the specs that i had given him - i felt like putting my hand through the phone and ripping his spine out and jamming it up his a$$.

GIO wanted $904 and i was currently insured with them too. When i rang to cancel my policy they asked me why and i told them i can get the same insurance from AAMI for $634. Which the guys goes ooooooooh. And he fixed up the cancellation!

So at the end of the day i hate insurance companies but hey they've got you bent over and reamming your a@$. WTF do you do??

Any ideas how we can avoid insurance companies? But still get our car repaired if an accident happens? :-)