PDA

View Full Version : Hot Hatch Pricing

Wraith
30th March 2006, 04:01 PM
Just been keeping an eye on what's going on with the pricing of the new hot hatches being released later this year........

Up until now I'd had my heart set on a new VXR/HSV Astra, but have recently discovred more about the new XR5 Focus and Mazda 3 MPS.

HSV Astra looks to be priced at around 43k + onroads - 176kw 320/340mn
Focus XR5 will be under 37k + onroads - 165kw 360nm
Mazda 3 MPS will be under 40k + onroads - 185kw 380nm

Wont even bother with the Golf - it's price has already killed it as far as I'm concerned.

I must say the Astra is not looking as attractive as it was earlier this year.

I'm now leaning towards the Mazda 3 MPS, it looks good, has excellent build quality, good comparative pricing, most powerful of the bunch stock and will probably only need a reflash to achieve some very repsectable power output levels and performance.

It also seems the most advanced in terms of electronics to put the power down (maybe Golf is better - but the price) and has a very neat intercooler set up - like the 6 MPS.

What do you guys/girls reckon, which one would you buy..........

MK
30th March 2006, 04:19 PM
Yes, the 3MPS is a great looking and performing car, from the design point of view (i was a passanger in 3 SP) they are miles ahead of competition...

I am an Opel fan (actually all european cars fan) so my list would have to be, on the basis of price, design and performance:

1. Astra
2. Focus
3. Golf
3. Clio
4. C4
5. Fabia

like i said before, even that japanese cars give the buyer value for money and great performance i have made up my mind and will stay with european car... even if it means being outdone at the traffic lights by a 3 MPS

InsaneAsylum
30th March 2006, 04:33 PM
my mate recently bought a focus. he went for a drive in a mazda 3 and found it uncomfortable, but always like the looks. personally, I think they look like a munted PT cruiser, they are chunky and ugly and everyone has jumped on their bandwagon just like excels and lancers. they're also underpowered compared to their engine size in this day and age. my vectra makes more power/L than the sp23 and it's over 6 years old. cars like corolla sportive are making 140 odd kw out of 1.8L... still to rotaries and hairdressers cars mazda

SSS_Hoon
30th March 2006, 04:52 PM
mazda and build quality in the same sentance how dare you.

well for me the list would go like this

1.Golf Gti
2.focus
3.clio
4.vxr
5. mazda

we looked at the mazda 3 before we bought the golf and it was ok but not the best built car out there, the vxr well its a holden no more needed :lol: nah its good but not for me.the focus is the goods from what i hear and see i like it alot i am actually considering it. the clio well that is just nuts damm crazy french ppl.

the mazda in the standard sp23 form is bad enough at getting the power to the ground let alone adding a turbo and 40odd more kw to it no thanx, the normal focus handles quite well not sure about the xr5 though having a diff setup and all, the vxr well the last model astra handled ok not as good as the golf though, and the golf well i dont need to say anymore about it it wins for me hands down, now that is a bit biased as we own one and all, i have been in many a car from my SSS to the astra srit to a bmw M3 and skyline gtr's and ba falcon fpv utes and even a merc and the golf handles and drives better then all of them, it could do with a bit looser rear end but other then that its the shiznit man.

edit, i forgot to mention that for getting the factory power to the ground i would have to say that the golf is the best at it with 147kw factory to getting 126-127 at the wheels with a 20-21kw drivetrain loss, no i can almost guarantee that none of the other cars would even get close to that little loss. im guessing that the 176kw from the vxr would be about 135-145fwkw, the 165 focus about the same 130-145 and the mazda 185 would be about 135-150fwkw but it would feel faster as it has more torque.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
30th March 2006, 05:19 PM
Good comments there guys, but remember I'm referring to the new MPS mazda not the current SP23, as some have commented on above.

The drive and tractability of this car is still unknown - we'll have to wait and see.

Reports I've read suggest the use of wiz bang electronics to deliver the power and it'll have an entirely new/different chassis/suspension set up to the current SP23........

As for build quality, it's not that bad, I've checked em all out, the worst IMO is the Toyota Corolla, although not mentioned in the original list.

As for the Golf, like I said, neat machine but the top mark will cost over 50k to get on road, it's additional cost isn't justified in view of all the other choices, just my opinion of course.

As for Euro vs Jap, I already have 2 of em (Cali & Astra) and possibly adding a BMW to that list, so one good Jap box shouldn't hurt LOL.

Shaun
30th March 2006, 05:22 PM
1) VXR
2) Focus XR5
3) Mazda 3 MPS
4) Renault Megane 225.
5)Golf GTi (Believe it or not :))
6) Renault Clio

Charlatan
30th March 2006, 09:40 PM
As for the Golf, like I said, neat machine but the top mark will cost over 50k to get on road, it's additional cost isn't justified in view of all the other choices, just my opinion of course.

Well, I'm pretty sure Mazda, HSV and Ford are not going to give you leather, sunroof, sat-nav for free either.

...and why does everyone forget the Megane Cup. I drove one the other day and damn. Sh!ts all over the standard 225. The above cars will have to perform pretty well in the handling to our steer and brake one of them.

rjastra
30th March 2006, 10:10 PM
I have read the MPS3 will be OVER 40K on road.

And the 2.3L mazda engine is all over by 5500rpm. Breathless.

Mazda 3 are just play ordinary to look at.

The most important fact is this.... there is no aftermarket gear for Mazdas turbo motor. And the low number they sell (the MPS 6 is a bit of a flop) means there is unlikely to be much in the near future.

I reckon the XR5 or Golf are the way to go. The Astra SRiT above the VXR.

180HOA
1st April 2006, 04:53 PM
I have read the MPS3 will be OVER 40K on road.

And the 2.3L mazda engine is all over by 5500rpm. Breathless.

Mazda 3 are just play ordinary to look at.

The most important fact is this.... there is no aftermarket gear for Mazdas turbo motor. And the low number they sell (the MPS 6 is a bit of a flop) means there is unlikely to be much in the near future.

I reckon the XR5 or Golf are the way to go. The Astra SRiT above the VXR.

I'd agree with that... I find the 3's styling tacky, and the car just has no spunk.

The Golf and the XR5 would both be good things, I think - Though I suspect I might lean toward the XR5... A bit more grunt and a bit less awkward looking - though the Focus interior puts me to sleep...

Can I have: XR5 exterior, VXR Interior, and VW to build it?

astraman
2nd April 2006, 09:39 AM
Every body always asks the same question. In my view if you want the car somebody else would buy fine. But I look at this way, see how much cash you've got, then depending on it, drive the choices you can afford - don't forget insurance running costs etc and buy what you feel is right.

If I had to buy a new car I'd go for the VXR because of it huge brakes, wheels, seats - RECAROs. If it was a second hand car around $55g I'd go Nissan R34 GTR.

PS: don't discount the standard Astra turbo coming out.

EL BURITO
2nd April 2006, 06:22 PM
and the standard turbo will probly be easyer to get hold of.

CAL.16V
3rd April 2006, 01:04 PM
second hand car around $55g I'd go Nissan R34 GTR.

good luck...

SSS_Hoon
3rd April 2006, 04:27 PM
good luck...

2nd that.

but even if you could y would you bother with the r34, gotta be the worst looking skyline ever.

go the r32.

SSS_Hoon

InsaneAsylum
3rd April 2006, 04:36 PM
2nd that.

but even if you could y would you bother with the r34, gotta be the worst looking skyline ever.

go the r32.

SSS_Hoon

for 55K you could buy 2 decent r32 gt-r's :)

i like the r34 shape, but just looking at the 32 reminds me of richards/skaife going around the mountain

lowey22
3rd April 2006, 04:46 PM
richards/skaife going around the mountain

man, that was hell funny when they won and gave the crowd a bit of a stir.