PDA

View Full Version : VXR sites/forums?

SSS_Hoon
26th March 2006, 06:48 PM
Hey shaun i know you know some of these.

i was after some sites that have info on these, well im mainly after dyno readouts actually, real world ones not tuner companys power figures.

as i would like to know the stock power output of the said 176kw, im guessing around the 130-145fwkw mark and my money is on 143 :lol:

aussie in london i know you said that you know have 300hp which is around 220kw now that is at the fly i assume do you have dyno sheets to back this up or was it just what the company that did your upgrades told you? also what mods do you have done to it?

SSS_Hoon

Shaun
26th March 2006, 11:27 PM
try http://www.vxrregister.com . good site in the uk for VXR infromation. ran by a VXR tuner i believe.

aussie_in_london
27th March 2006, 06:50 PM
my figures are currently only approx until the map is released, currently im running a pre release trial map (with full milltek exhaust) which is a Thorney motorsport in conjunction with superchips who have on their site graph reading which are 285bhp for stage one without the full milltek, mine is a 2 stage map running off the sports switch and currently is only approx 290bhp but about to do back to back rolling road / dynos for the development and upgrade, once i have this completed i will post up all info, now you wont find many dyno on standard or even tuned as the problem that has been encountered is heat build up, currently the fans used by most tuners with their rr have been to small and once temps start hitting 40 degrees in the engine bay the ignition starts retarding and the ecu shuts down, TMS have just finsihed their rr instalation with 2 1 meter x 1 meter fans plus a third to prevent the retarding ignition, we have organised a dyno rr day for late April (10 astra VXR's, 2 Monaro VXR's and 3 VXR220's plus one maloo) results will be put up on www.vxrregister.com

SSS_Hoon
27th March 2006, 06:59 PM
sweet as keep us informed as im very keen on seeing the real world figures, let me take a guess and say that you will be getting around the 160-175fwkw mark with your mods.

the fans dont matter that much you still should get a reading just not a accurate one, do you know or have any that are done with the heating problem?

SSS_Hoon

aussie_in_london
27th March 2006, 07:10 PM
on the VXR the fans do matter, alot actually, Vxl have put a health warning out to all tuners regarding the heat problem hence the reason many of us have not put our cars on the rollers just yet, was the same problem encounted by the VX220 Turbos with many ecu shutting down with insufficient cool air and engine temps raising above 40 deg,

once i have some figures and the map has been released i will update the thread

SSS_Hoon
27th March 2006, 08:21 PM
damm the heat is that bad, i didnt know that, i would be sorting out something to fix that, that is for sure.

i know mr t on here has hooked up a switch to his elec fans so he can turn it on and off whenever he wants and it works a treat, while waiting inline at the track.

SSS_Hoon

aussie_in_london
27th March 2006, 08:39 PM
no major problems when driving but tests on dyno found the air intake is usually 20 degrees greater on the rollers than when out driving,
alot of power from a 2lt is the cause, some tuners are developing air scoops under the front of the car and outlet vents above the turbo, this will make a diiference in engine bay temps especially in summer and running increased bhp figures, im thinking largert intercooler and charge cooler

Shaun
28th March 2006, 05:09 PM
The Issue with Tuning and Increased Heat will raise its head here thats for sure..
But if HSV are about to Head down the track of offering Genuine Upgrades for the Commodore Baised models that will be covered under warranty then hopefully they will off the same for the VXR.

My understanding is that TWR in the uk now have a workshop that are tuning Vauxhall VXR products. Seeing that HSV is still owned by TWR hopefully those mods are offered at HSV dealers under warranty. I have notice is practace is becoming more common theses days amount all manafactures after reading a recent article in wheel or motor mag (cant remember which one exaclty) about Nissan offering Nizmo products through the dealerships for the 350Z

aussie_in_london
28th March 2006, 06:45 PM
here is the graphs for the Superchips / Thorney Motorsport stage 1 map for the VXR, add the full milltek and the map is upgraded to account for and you are seeing approx an extra 15-18bhp and is listed as a stage 2
stage 3 will consits of a larger front mounted intercooler and charge cooler, stage 4 is on the development side and i believe will consist of uprating the cams, induction systems and a few other bits and pieces, so for us in the UK just shy of £1700 will see us almost 300bhp consisting of a remap and full exhaust system. There is alot of tuning potential with the engine in the VXR but once figures start getting over 300bhp additional measure on heat reduction will need to come into play, one owner is not far off 320bhp and has just purchased a awd system for his VXR, we all await to see the outcome : )

stage 1 map
http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/astravxr.pdf

SSS_Hoon
28th March 2006, 06:59 PM
yeah but that graph is at the fly not the wheels and its a tuner/manufacuters graph which i take with very many grains of salt im afraid.

a awd vxr now that would be something too see/drive that is for sure.

SSS_Hoon

aussie_in_london
28th March 2006, 07:08 PM
im giving you an idea as the car is still very new (first customers took delivery late Dec) and so to is the aftermarket developments, but in the UK most tuners are popping up with alot performance develpments

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/ 305bhp graph, if you wont more details on it email the company they will be happy to provide you with the information you wont but trust me the VXR engine is a very easy engine to get power out of compared with the astra G Turbo as it is a different engine, may look the same from the top but it ends there

SSS_Hoon
28th March 2006, 08:08 PM
ok sweet as, i thought it was the same engine, is it the same ecu running it though, as to me that seemed tha hard bout tuning the last model.

damm 305bhp is nuts in fwd car without a LSD.

SSS_Hoon

aussie_in_london
28th March 2006, 08:29 PM
different ECU to the G models

quafe have now developed a LSD for the VXR but you will be suprised how well the VXR gets down the power with the remap, the power delivery has been improved 100% and is much smoother.
LSD will be good for straight runs on nice smooth surfaces or German roads but the b-roads in the UK are harsh and you would end up bouncing across the road like the Focus RS experienced, Vxl trialed an LSD in a G GSi and where you gained in off the mark performance you lost out heavily on b-road handling.