PDA

View Full Version : LHD to RHD conversion

Kacper
18th March 2006, 07:03 PM
Hey everyone
I've seen a few cars in europe before that are selling quite cheap, and it's got me thinking. To convert from a left hand drive to a right hand drive would take about this much work [______________________________huge space_______________________________], but would any body know how much such a conversion would cost, for just parts, or anyplace that would do it? I know to import would cost a bundle on top of that, but I'm just curious.
Thanks

180HOA
18th March 2006, 07:20 PM
My Dad used to have a 68 Mustang - when he was looking to buy that he looked at various options like importing and converting. From memory, a pretty poor job then cost about 5 or 6 grand (parts and labour - but that was more than ten years ago) - and on a 60's American car it was relatively easy. I know for later models (i.e. 1990's) it could cost $15k to get a properly engineered, reasonably decent finish. If you were to throw in things like airbags, I'd imagine getting yourself a fully working LHD to RHD conversion would become nightmarishly expensive...

Kacper
18th March 2006, 07:33 PM
Yeah, that's what a I thought it might work out as. Shame. Oh well, there were some nice cars that were just calling my name.

pred8r
18th March 2006, 08:04 PM
i think it would depend on the car, is it available here as a RHD? if yes then it should be easy.....assuming you can have it here (poor Reva)

Clint
22nd March 2006, 06:08 PM
most the dash has to be modified, even the electronics all sit on different sides of the car depending on the LHD or RHD, even other things like headlights has to be changed.