PDA

View Full Version : Rims and lowering

GreyRex
16th March 2006, 04:59 PM
Hey guys,
For those of you who don't already know, im about to go from my stock 16" Barina SRi rims and SRi Sports Suspension, to 17" rims and POSSIBLY lowering.

I want everyone's opinion, preferably with an SRi, or if not even a standard Barina, as to how much everything is effected...

Does going from 195/45/16 to 205/40/17 dramatically affect the ride, or is it pretty much the same? And going from SRi suspension to lowering say about an inch or 30mm, make the car totally thump over every bump?

Basically what im saying is, is it a beneficial mod to go for slightly bigger rims, and possibly slightly firmer suspension? Cuz that's what i want:)

InsaneAsylum
16th March 2006, 05:03 PM
your camber will probably be affected ie. excessive negative camber which will probably reduce the life of your tyres as the insides will get worn out faster.

i have lowered springs with 45 series tyres on 17" rims and it's not bad. bumpier than stock but it's not like the CD is constantly skipping.

i have a vectra though which we all know is a far superior car :p ... :D nah it's all good, shouldn't be a problem.

MatsHolden
16th March 2006, 06:33 PM
Because of the Barina being a small car, it already has an inherently firm ride, but that's just something that comes with small cars. Going with firmer suspension will obviously make the ride a lot harder and going with 17 inch wheels on top of that will make it even harder due to the less rubber on the rims. But it just comes down to whether you are prepared to put up with the harsher ride and gain looks and handling or not. Personally I would be willing to compromise a softer ride for great handling and good looks. :D

vectraguy01
16th March 2006, 11:44 PM
yer my veccy is abit like that too insane, bumpier but u get that when u change springs and have a V6 as well, wat type of tyres and size are u running on ur's insane, i have 215/45ZR17 91W.

PaulyJ
16th March 2006, 11:52 PM
You wont have a problem with bigger rims and lowering.

Gildo
17th March 2006, 12:59 AM
im down 35mm and 17" rims and i love it :D u could call it a go cart with big rims if u really wanted 2

GreyRex
17th March 2006, 12:37 PM
Gildo, our cars seem to be a bit similar... sorta lol:) . You've basically done the mods that i want to do... the sunroof, the lowering, the 17's... am i right? And you also have a back SRi, and you live in melb!! I should just keep asking you for advice (rest of you don't feel left out haha). The life span of the tyres is worrying me a bit, around 30 000kms:confused: .

One biiiig questions for you all... will my speedo by affected, yes or no? Will the rolling diameter of a 205/40/17 tyre, as opposed to a 195/45/17 tyre be majorly different? Just so as that i know:)

Gildo
18th March 2006, 12:58 AM
im in sydney :D and i have a silver sri :D and no sunroof
will get piccies up soon, a bit has changed since my last pic post. mite do it 2moz actually.
dont get the 195/45/17, u wont find nice rims to suit it and will look wrong.
my tyres lasted me 13,000 km (burnouts and hard driving included)
It all depends on the quality of the tyre....u can buy sh1t and it will last long but then wont grip aswell , or spend the money and get decent tyres ...

EL BURITO
18th March 2006, 04:05 AM
I notice a bit more noise when the stero is tern down. but then if i wanted a quiet car i wouldnt have got a cat back exhaust. my 17's look so cool on my car.