PDA

View Full Version : Snow chains

stevedee3
16th March 2006, 08:38 AM
Seeing the thread about the proposed alpine cruise has made me wonder...

Does anyone here have any bright ideas about using low profile wheels/tyres in alpine regions during winter? In the owner's manual for both my Vectras it has said something like "If you have these particular size wheels, you can't fit snow chains due to lack of clearance".

How have people overcome this?

InsaneAsylum
16th March 2006, 09:21 AM
i've heard that disabling traction control when driving in snow with chains is good

Red AH SRI T
16th March 2006, 10:27 AM
Press the "winter" button on cars with auto transmission :p

InsaneAsylum
16th March 2006, 11:45 AM
Press the "winter" button on cars with auto transmission :p

don't you mean Autumn-atic transmissions? :D

oneightoo
16th March 2006, 12:26 PM
boooom tish!

rjastra
16th March 2006, 01:22 PM
The reason the europeans say that is because they usually fit winter tyres if the location requires it.

Personally. out of 15 yrs of driving down to Persisher etc for skiing i have fitted chains once!

If a "cruise" involved fitting chains then it would be adviseable to not do it :)

If you do need to fit them then check the clearance between the inside edge of the front wheels and the struts.

btm
16th March 2006, 02:36 PM
Personally. out of 15 yrs of driving down to Persisher etc for skiing i have fitted chains once!
man... you've been unlucky!!

Out of the 10 years i've been going down I have had to do it on numerous occasions...

auzvectra
16th March 2006, 05:55 PM
in the 1st week after the peak snow season, u would rarely ever need them, but it is a requirment to have them if u plan on driving into the nation park. i've only ever used em 1ce.

PaulyJ
16th March 2006, 06:05 PM
The chains barely fit... and caused me damage before... not happy jan!

Ginge
17th March 2006, 06:55 PM
the only time i've been there it bucket'd down. had to put chains on in the dark and drive from the national parks gates to thredbo. fit well on my 15's with no drama's of hitting the guards. wouldn't dare put any on my 18's though. i'll just change my fronts for a trip to the snow. leaves a spare set for someone else to.

PaulyJ
19th March 2006, 03:34 PM
The problem is with the car being lowered.
Regardless of what wheels i have on, the chains will still hit the front guards.

eld0ra
19th March 2006, 08:30 PM
I'v been researching abit into snow chains and i'v found a set that is suppose to be good for luxury and high performance cars which include low profiles tyres.. the only problem is i dont know where to buy them from.

http://www.autow.co.uk/snow_chains/rud_comfort_centrax.html
Thats some info for the rud centrax chains.

I need to buy a pair chains because i'm planning on driving down to the snow more than twice a year as i bought all my snowboarding gear already. If anyone has info about chains for large wheels with low profiles on them that won't actually damage the guard if the car is lowered, please let me know.

rjastra
19th March 2006, 09:12 PM
I'v been researching abit into snow chains and i'v found a set that is suppose to be good for luxury and high performance cars which include low profiles tyres.. the only problem is i dont know where to buy them from.

Ring some ski shops....

eld0ra
19th March 2006, 09:42 PM
yeah i might have to.

auzvectra
19th March 2006, 10:14 PM
(02) 6457 5224
ski hire place at smiggins.
try them, thwy might be able help.
try ringin phone directory, ask for 'bp' at jindabine, they hire the chains.