PDA

View Full Version : Proton to sell the Mitsu 380!!!

Red AH SRI T
15th March 2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/E7622BD98F718496CA2571310082F03B/$file/2006.03.15_Proton_380.jpg

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/E7622BD98F718496CA2571310082F03B

:eek:

CJB
15th March 2006, 12:32 PM
so they are exporting the 380 to Malaysia?? :confused:

PaulyJ
15th March 2006, 01:19 PM
Well it'll be good for the Mitsu workers for them not to lose their jobs, which is important for the Australian economy, so this could actually be a very good thing.

Red AH SRI T
15th March 2006, 01:28 PM
yeah, its a good thing for mitsu OZ

just so long as they don't plan on selling a Proton version here!!!

CJB
15th March 2006, 03:15 PM
Do Proton do well here in Australia?

I have only seen one Proton dealership in south east Queensland... and that was on the north side in Brisbane :eek:

MatsHolden
15th March 2006, 05:08 PM
Do Proton do well here in Australia?

I have only seen one Proton dealership in south east Queensland... and that was on the north side in Brisbane :eek:

They don't have a huge market share in Australia, with them expecting to sell 4000 units this year. They're not a bad car in terms of their mechanicals and ride and handling. Ride and handling being done by Lotus. But their build quality is still mid 90's standard; flimsy/tinny doors, cheap interior materials etc. Exterior design on the Gen 2 is quite nice though.

PaulyJ
15th March 2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah the Gen 2 is a nice car!

Alfonzo
15th March 2006, 05:41 PM
They're not a bad car in terms of their mechanicals and ride and handling. Ride and handling being done by Lotus. But their build quality is still mid 90's standard; They're still selling the OLD SHAPE Mirage, not the last model but the one previous as a brand new car!!! :eek:

Gen 2 doesn't look too bad, but that's only because it's a relatively new car - talk about their quality being mid 90's standards - their small hatch is FROM the early 90s!

PaulyJ
15th March 2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah thats true.
Atleast with the 380, they'll have a new car to sell in Malay

Bernard Siong
15th March 2006, 05:48 PM
are u talking abt the satria gti?
it is such a old car
but still cool i think

PaulyJ
15th March 2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, the entire Satria range is an early model Mirage.
The GTi is still a nice car.

01CDsedan
15th March 2006, 07:37 PM
The Gen2 isn't actually a bad car - looks nice, decently equipped - but it struggles to sell against more established brands at the same price point.

MatsHolden
15th March 2006, 07:59 PM
Gen 2 doesn't look too bad, but that's only because it's a relatively new car - talk about their quality being mid 90's standards - their small hatch is FROM the early 90s!

Yes I said it's exterior design was quite nice, and when talkin about build quality being mid 90's standards I was referring to their new Gen 2; looks good, but build quality is poor, even though it is only relatively new. The Daewoo sourced Barina feels more solid than the Gen 2.

MatsHolden
15th March 2006, 08:03 PM
The Gen2 isn't actually a bad car - looks nice, decently equipped - but it struggles to sell against more established brands at the same price point.

Hence the reason Proton Australia are only predicting 4000 units be sold this year.

extralarge
15th March 2006, 09:24 PM
the proton looks good

handling is ok

i didn't rate the fit and finish

overall a package that would sell if it was cheaper

MatsHolden
15th March 2006, 11:37 PM
the proton looks good

handling is ok

i didn't rate the fit and finish

overall a package that would sell if it was cheaper

Spot on mate. That's basically it in a nutshell.:D

typetnt
16th March 2006, 07:26 AM
So these Proton 380 owners will wanna Mitsubishi-lize their cars? :D

Red AH SRI T
16th March 2006, 08:59 AM
Spot on mate. That's basically it in a nutshell.:D

and the GEN.2 sufferes because it has a 1.6 engine in a class of 1.8's and 2.0's.

I like the look of the GEN.2 over the viva, especially inside, the interior is so well designed and so different, but the quality is sh!t (although they have just launched the GEN.2 Series II which they say they have improved the quality on).

Also check out the new Savvy! this is the new Barina's biggest threat!
$13990, 5 DOOR!!!!!, ABS!!!!!! ALLOYS!!!!!! REAR PARKING SENSORS!!!!!

STANDARD!!!!!!!

But only a 1.2 motor! although very powerful for a motor of its size it has 55kW!!!!!! Renault Engine.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/proton/proton_images/proton_savvy_29_06_05.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/elaine_cch/Picture18.jpg
http://img137.echo.cx/img137/9493/dsc068645fv6wt.jpg
http://www.brandmalaysia.com/movabletype/archives/savvy-interior2.jpg

If this car has good quality and proton does good advertising this car could be a real threat

FlySri
16th March 2006, 05:18 PM
Good for the locals jobs but I thought that the two companies had severed there tyes?!

Shaun
16th March 2006, 07:19 PM
I think the 380 looks tops as a Proton. Its not the 1st time Proton has used Mitsubishi products either.

Proton Satria GTi:
Mitsubishi Body.
Mitsubishi Engine

Proton M21 Coupe
Mitsubishi Lancer Body
Engine im not sure on

Proton have some nice cars. And now owning Lotus they can only get better with time.

380 as a Proton looks good. Badge suits the product well.

Red AH SRI T
17th March 2006, 12:26 PM
just read a review of the savvy from the carsguide and they say it has the class best ride/handling/dynamics but is let down by the engine

dodgyblue
29th March 2006, 02:11 PM
The trouble with the Proton range of cars (or for that matter all the Malaysian built cars) are that they are built to a price and for the local Malaysian market.

The road tax ( or rego as popularly called here) in Malaysia is a progressive tax based on engine capacity. Which is why you see them have small capacity engines. Even the Malaysian version of theToyota Camry in gets by with a 2.2 litre engine.

We can't really compare those cars to those in Australia. I can't imagine the road tax for the 3.8 litre mitsubishi 380. The people that can afford that tax would be buying mercs or other European cars. I think they are thinking of targeting the Malaysian government to use the 380 as an official car ala Statesman or LTD for visiting dignitaries & snobs :)

Having said that. The little engines they have really love to rev. It's great fun tearing around in them. They have this dinky little car called the Perodua and it's a 650cc death trap 'cos I've been in a '96 Celica at 130kmh on Malaysian freeways and been overtaken by them.. (100k is the official speed limit).

If only I can figure out how to ship an Astra across to my dad without incuring all the taxes I'll do it know. Even a 2000 Astra CD beats all the Protons in ride/handling and NVH.

Misguidedangel
1st April 2006, 01:37 AM
I think the 380 looks tops as a Proton. Its not the 1st time Proton has used Mitsubishi products either.

Proton Satria GTi:
Mitsubishi Body.
Mitsubishi Engine

Proton M21 Coupe
Mitsubishi Lancer Body
Engine im not sure on

The m21 coupe has the DOHC 4g93 mitsu engine and the gti has the same, also the satrias came out with the mitsu 4g92 and 4g15 SOHC engines...

So basically proton is a mitsubishi with a different bagde... all parts are seemingly interchangeable between the cc and ce lancer/mirage range.

MK
1st April 2006, 07:46 PM
Apparently Mitsubishi Motors still has shares in Proton. Mitsubishi supplied the design and technology for the first models (ages ago) Proton is now mostly owned by the government.

pred8r
1st April 2006, 09:24 PM
I saw a Black 380 VR-X today, its amazing the improvement a change of front a rear lights makes, it looked not too bad.
If they had those standard it'd probably sell slightly better.

Red AH SRI T
2nd April 2006, 08:12 AM
for ages Proton and Mitsu had links and Protons we basically just 10 year old mitsu's rebadged.

That all ended, Proton started talking to VW, but now that has ended and Proton and Mitsu have jumped back into bed together