PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Windows

DrDevil
17th April 2004, 03:40 PM
was wondering how you people keep your windows clean.

the inside of my windows gather a thin film over time and i was wondering if you guys get it too and what u do to get rid of it. usually if i put the aircon on the windscreen it clears, but comes back later. im using a cotton cloth to wipe it every once in a while.

Anonymous
17th April 2004, 04:55 PM
I use Spray N Wipe Glass Cleaner, My Windows never Fog up or Get That Crappy Build up.

sparksy
17th April 2004, 08:55 PM
The film is the fumes from the plastic componants inside degrading and giving off fumes. Unless your a smoker also, then you have all that nasty shit on there too.

If you use the right products on your interiour you can lessen it.

The Sentinel
18th April 2004, 09:06 AM
The film is the fumes from the plastic componants inside degrading and giving off fumes. Unless your a smoker also, then you have all that nasty shit on there too.

If you use the right products on your interiour you can lessen it.Can anyone recommend a product for this?

SmellyTofu
18th April 2004, 10:02 AM
For the smoking or for the fogging windows? :lol:

dan_kind
18th April 2004, 10:17 AM
chamois!, i dont use any cleaning products on the windows as it can degrade/damage the adhesive on the tint (obviously not the windscreen)

using a clean (warm, use hot rinse water) chamois that is barely wet seems to do the best job for me.

the fogging up windows normally indicates high humidity in the car...

not much can be done about the release of the plastic crap from the dash...

The Sentinel
18th April 2004, 11:29 AM
For the smoking or for the fogging windows? :lol:A product for cleaning the insde of the windows of the (non-smoke caused) build-up.

Even if I did smoke it sure wouldn't be in my Astra. :cry:

DrDevil
18th April 2004, 12:05 PM
im going to try windex at let you guys know how it went

i dont have window tinting so it should be all good :)

Degen-Astra
18th April 2004, 12:14 PM
Windex is okay, tends to streak a bit more i feel.

As for smoking in the car...i didnt smoke in mine for 6 months. Smoked in it for 6 months and quit.

sparksy
18th April 2004, 02:45 PM
chamois!, i dont use any cleaning products on the windows as it can degrade/damage the adhesive on the tint (obviously not the windscreen)

using a clean (warm, use hot rinse water) chamois that is barely wet seems to do the best job for me.

the fogging up windows normally indicates high humidity in the car...

not much can be done about the release of the plastic crap from the dash...

GLASS CLEANERS
Just as in the selection of car shampoo and wax, no two car enthusiasts can agree on the ultimate glass cleaner. Some people like ammonia cleaners. Others swear by TSP, while the purists will use nothing but clear water. Whatever you use, the principles are the same: clean, dry and polish.

I highly discourage the use of ammonia-based glass cleaners on your car. While ammonia is a great glass cleaner for the home, ammonia is harmful to many car surfaces, including vinyl, rubber and leather. More importantly, the use of ammonia inside your car is harmful to your health. Use an automotive glass cleaner that specifically states it's safe to use on window-tint film. A glass cleaner that's safe for window-tint film will not harm the plastic and vinyl surfaces on your car.

Glass cleaners in a spray bottle work fine. The only problem is overspray on the dash and upholstery, as it's difficult to direct the spray of glass cleaners. You will have the best luck spraying one side of a clean towel, wiping the glass, and then drying with the other side of the towel.

Many professional detailers use plain water for wiping and cleaning the windows, and dry the glass with newspaper. Unlike paper towels and most cotton towels, newspaper does not leave behind lint, and the ink acts as a glass polish. The only drawback to this method is the newsprint ink on your hands when you’re done. Be sure to wash your hands before touching your upholstery.

PaulTheBall
18th April 2004, 03:25 PM
I have had no problems using a metho/water mixture. It will break down any crud on the window and leave it very clean. Use newspaper to rub it in, then buff off with a lint free cloth. I haven't got tinted windows myself... but if you do a while ago on aus.cars this discussion came up and most ppl agreed that metho will not harm the tint like windex can do.

frankie9fingers
18th April 2004, 04:35 PM
yep metho/water trick aswell. I've been told it's the amonia in some products that screw the tint.
And i smoke all the time in my car and have no problems with the dirt coz i clean my windows regularly.

dazza015
18th April 2004, 05:07 PM
Usually just use a chamois, but have also used the metho/water mix both work fine!

Anonymous
18th April 2004, 05:43 PM
I was going to Say a 75% Metho to 25% Water Mix, Using a Cotton or Linen Cloth,
But I was beaten to the Punch. :D

Dee
19th April 2004, 08:56 AM
i use the holden shit that comes in their "look after your car" pack.. seems to do the job....

just a tip for when you are cleaning glass... next time try using newspaper instead of a cloth... you will have a clearer window :D

slyone
19th April 2004, 09:10 AM
I use Windex BUT the trick is using newspaper. Try it you will be surpirse.

kirssn
19th April 2004, 09:16 AM
i use the cloth that sol-ace gave me when the windows were tinted - use it on all windows with no liquid products at all... windows are clean and clear after using it....

DrDevil
19th April 2004, 10:29 AM
yeah, i use newspaper on the exterior windows... makes them look pretty :mrgreen:

Rhino
19th April 2004, 12:09 PM
Oil based products like ArmourAll on your dash can increase the greasy build up on your windscreen as well.

Use water based or nothing.

Also - Dash mats keep heat inside the dash and assist their degredation.

I use Meguires window cleaner and a soft, lint free window cleaning pad that is washable and re-useable. For the rest of my intereior like trim (leather) and dash, I use the chamois after I have dried the car so it is still moist.

Marty
20th April 2004, 06:24 PM
I use a microfiber cloth.

No lint or fibre residue on the windows after cleaning.