PDA

View Full Version : Airbox derestriction - what does it mean

GreyRex
13th March 2006, 03:57 PM
Guys im hoping you can explain to me what it means to derestrict your airbox. It seems to sorta be a standard mod. For starters, i don't know how to do, but don't worry about that. Exactly what do you get from doing it? Any performance gains? If it makes the engine louder i don't really want to do it. Also does it effect fuel consumption?

I thought i read once that there's not much point doing it if you don't get the ECU remapped, because you're only attacking half the problem. Basically you're putting more air into the motor than it's designed for from factory, so u need to counteract that by altering more.

My basic question is, do you get any real advantage? Is it worth it, yes or no? Does it effect insurance?

pred8r
13th March 2006, 06:00 PM
My basic question is, do you get any real advantage? Is it worth it, yes or no? Does it effect insurance?

It gives you more Induction (air intake) noise.
Worth it? it sounds louder so id say its personal preference.
I dont think theres any power increase or its minimal at best.
As to insurance i doubt it because its still the stock box/airfilter arrangement.

If you want to derestrict yours, ill swap you for mine and do the install for you.
Basically all you do is remove the trumpet in each half....but you cant go back easily, which is what i want to do.