PDA

View Full Version : Noise Cameras for Victoria

MatsHolden
12th March 2006, 08:12 PM
Was reading an article in the Herald Sun today and vicroads is looking at installing Noise Cameras. These are designed to detect any 'noisy' vehicle with the use of microphones and take photos of the vehicle and number plate. They say they want to crack down on 'hoons' with illegal exhausts. More revenue raising for the government... just what we need. :mad:

pred8r
12th March 2006, 08:34 PM
Was reading an article in the Herald Sun today and vicroads is looking at installing Noise Cameras. These are designed to detect any 'noisy' vehicle with the use of microphones and take photos of the vehicle and number plate. They say they want to crack down on 'hoons' with illegal exhausts. More revenue raising for the government... just what we need. :mad:
Maybe then they will shush up some of them noisy cruiser type bikes, that would be nice

oneightoo
12th March 2006, 09:28 PM
how can a "noise" camera tell which car the noise is coming from??

MatsHolden
12th March 2006, 09:30 PM
Very good point, apparently it's very high technology developed to detect submarines, the microphones can pin point it, but i'm still sceptical.

oneightoo
12th March 2006, 09:33 PM
sound bounces, it might be able to detect any area, i doubt it'd pinpoint a certain car tho.. altho, i know next to nothing about the technology of it, so i could be completly wrong :D

stake
17th March 2006, 11:23 PM
I'm no expert either, but it sounds a bit far fetched to me. Sure the mic can pick up sound but it would depend on the frequency on how accurately it could determine direction.

Hi frequencies are more directional than than low but with so many road side objects to bounce off I reckon you'd be hard pressed to get an accurate direction.

Also when the EPA test the dB of an exhaust for legal noise limit it's done at a certain angle and distance and RPM. As the sound would reduce over distance they would have to be able to calculate all these factors to determine legal the sound level

Anyway whatever they do it won't stop them issuing infringment notices, rightly or wrongly

PaulyJ
19th March 2006, 03:32 PM
1) turns stereo off
2) turns car off
3) rolls car past camera
4) turns it back in, thumps the music and away we go again

Kacper
21st March 2006, 01:06 PM
My parents' friend works on thses kinds of things and he was telling me about this a while ago, would have been a couple of years ago. He said that they were refining them so that they would work properly and eventually come into use, and here they are. They are very accurate and I was told they even manage to detect rpm, as engines make a different sounds at different rev ranges. They are so advanced he reckons, and they have no problem whatsoever detecting which vehicle.

btm
21st March 2006, 01:28 PM
They are very accurate and I was told they even manage to detect rpm, as engines make a different sounds at different rev ranges. They are so advanced he reckons, and they have no problem whatsoever detecting which vehicle.
I'm still a little sceptical... i can see how it could 'possibly' work for a stock car. but how do they know what exhaust i have on my car and how many rev's its running at just by the sound?

The only way this could be, would be if this program/computer system has every car with every different muffler, cat back, extractor etc programmed into it at every different RPM of every car... I find this highly unlikely...

InsaneAsylum
21st March 2006, 01:37 PM
come november it will be great, bracks will have to go back to cooking fish and chips at his cousins fish, chips and souvlaki shop, and he will no longer be able to ruin the state.

PS those stupid stupid sculpture things he build for 1.8 million on the old south melbourne rail bridge are stupid and a waste of taxpayers (whoops i mean fine payers) money

Kacper
21st March 2006, 01:42 PM
I don't think it matters what exhaust combination you have for it to detect your rpm, and once it has that it determines whether its too loud or not, simple. And it obviously has to work properly for them to put it into use. Otherwise big bad 'today tonight' will be all over them.:eek:

BassyAstra
21st March 2006, 02:32 PM
if a human ear cant tell where subwoofer bass is coming from then i doubt this technology will be able to pinpoint it

unless it right infront of it

InsaneAsylum
21st March 2006, 02:45 PM
I don't think it matters what exhaust combination you have for it to detect your rpm, and once it has that it determines whether its too loud or not, simple. And it obviously has to work properly for them to put it into use. Otherwise big bad 'today tonight' will be all over them.:eek:

today tonight will continue doing their useless dodgy tradesman married to single mothers who gave birth to hoons 18 years ago who are on the dole and terroise our neighbourhood scam artists after taking prozac on a sunday racial riot through sydney's western suburbs stories.

today tonight are so eco friendly, they continue to recycle all their rubbish

MatsHolden
21st March 2006, 04:45 PM
And it obviously has to work properly for them to put it into use. Otherwise big bad 'today tonight' will be all over them.:eek:

It hasn't stopped them before, remember the speed cameras on the Western Ring Road? lol And they still don't work properly!