PDA

View Full Version : Philips Headlight bulb question

GreyRex
4th March 2006, 10:04 AM
Hey guys...
I have a question for you all. I have an 04 Barina SRi, so it has those imitation projector headlights, like the Mazda 3. so when you're driving along, you get a flicker of yellow, purple, blue. Ive put Philips Blue Visions in them (which were an absolute #@%&* to fit, ended up gettin the dealer to change them), even though they're actually white. The thing is, i want more of a Halogen/light blue effect, like the Accord Euro. I know that Philips does does the Crystal Vision, but they are bluer which i want, but less vision, which i dont. Does anyone have the Cystal Visions, in my exact headlights? Ive seen someone here with them in the standard Barina headlights, but i think they have a better light dispertion in that headlight, so i want an accurate analysis lol. Or maybe any comments from anyone who has these globes. Oh and another thing... thinking of putting the Blue Visions in the fog lights/driving lights. What do you reckon?

Cheers guys

MatsHolden
4th March 2006, 10:23 AM
Hey mate, I've got the crystal visions in my low beam and blue visions in my high beam. I'm really happy with the colour of the light the crystal vision globes put out, and it's only minimal distance lost and you get use to it very quickly. The bluer/whiter light makes it a lot easier on the eyes than the standard globes. Not sure how'd they'd go in your projector headlamps though. The Accord Euro actually has Xenon globes so the only way you will achieve the same lighting is to fit a Xenon kit to your Corsa. One word of advice if you do decide to go with Crystal Vision like I have done, is that they are not ADR approved therefore illegal. Also I think it would be a good idea to put either Blue visions or Crystal visions into your fog lights. I wouldn't go any bluer than crystal though, as the Diamond visions look awesome but throw out a lot less light.

Cheers

GreyRex
4th March 2006, 10:54 AM
They're so expensive :mad: . Autobarn they're like $130 for H7 headlights, then Blue Visions H3 for the fogs are $70... thats $200 when i've already got Blue Visions in at the moment :eek: . And i dont generally buy things off the net, so that 20% off voucher for Autobarn might come in handy lol. Just dont know vaarrt to do yah!! Will the cops pull me over??

MatsHolden
4th March 2006, 11:02 AM
They're so expensive :mad: . Autobarn they're like $130 for H7 headlights, then Blue Visions H3 for the fogs are $70... thats $200 when i've already got Blue Visions in at the moment :eek: . And i dont generally buy things off the net, so that 20% off voucher for Autobarn might come in handy lol. Just dont know vaarrt to do yah!! Will the cops pull me over??

They are bloody expensive mate haha. If the fog light globes are H7's then put the blue vision you've already got in your foglights and put some crystal visions in your lowbeam and just leave the standard globes in your highbeam(as highbeam isn't used a lot there's no point spendin $70 on globes for em) Only reason i've got blue visons in my high beam is because i originally had them in my low beam but then i upgraded those to crystal visions. I havn't been pulled over yet, and i've driven past oncoming cop cars at night so i don't think you've got too much to worry about. Just stay away from Chapel Street on friday and saturday nights haha because the cops are right onto you around there. The only other time the cops might get you for em is if you get pulled over for a random road worthy check, they check everything so they may detect them, but that depends on the individual cop, whether they look close enough or realise that they are illegal globes.

cheers

Vectracious
4th March 2006, 12:18 PM
I had Crystal vision in my Vectra B before I sold it, then I put the bulbs into my wifes Astra G. They don't shine as far away as the normal bulbs do, but the light is whiter. Be aware that the Crystal Vision bulbs are not ADR approved so in effect your car becomes unroadworthy.... however I've driven past a lot of cops with the lights on for about 2 years now and not once was I pulled over for having non ADR approved lights in my car.

GreyRex
4th March 2006, 02:17 PM
I honestly think it's too much of an expensive gamble, with no real benefit. I can comprehend the Blue Visions H3's in my fogs, but spending around $130 on Crystal Vision bulbs that are supposedly illegal, and dont project the light as well seems crazy. I dont know what it is about these headlights in the SRi's... those projector style ones... with identical globes, they dont shine like they used to in my previous commodore. The effect just looks cool lol. Crazy!!:p

entice
5th March 2006, 06:49 AM
I've always Run PIAA's in my and my wife's cars...

Bloody expensive, but bloddy brilliant.

Anything above 4850K is a waste of time, and purely bling. Not much light penetration with the 5100K and over's.

Try PIAA Extreme white, or Platinum series, but take a seat before asking about pricing!

Oh, Caatz is also a v good brand. (So are teh Bosch +50's and + 30's....esp considering what you pay for em)

Alfonzo
5th March 2006, 05:14 PM
One word of advice if you do decide to go with Crystal Vision like I have done, is that they are not ADR approved therefore illegal. Also I think it would be a good idea to put either Blue visions or Crystal visions into your fog lights. I wouldn't go any bluer than crystal though, as the Diamond visions look awesome but throw out a lot less light.The ADR thing is really what made the decision for me. Price wasn't that much of an issue, but the decision was kind of forced on me one evening after closing up the workshop on a Thursday night, and finding my left low beam had gone boom. Drove to the closest Aut-O-Barn and changed the globes in the car park :)

But yeah, the lack of ADR approval on the Crystals is what made me decide to buy the Blue Visions. I quite like them too; for the most part they are a whiter light than the stockers, and they still have very decent projection.

Come on, entice - what did you pay for a pair? :)

ROCCO
5th March 2006, 08:36 PM
Hey guys i've got the Diamond vision in my Astra H. They rock. I love the blue/white globe. have driving through numerous boose buses and neevr been done. An example of this is before I had the astra I had a Fairmont moded to the ****ter any way I have Mtec racing globes which where pure white with blue led parkers. I got done for them. Since have the astra and putting these blue babies in no probs at all...just a comment that it really suits the car

MatsHolden
5th March 2006, 09:16 PM
Hey guys i've got the Diamond vision in my Astra H. They rock. I love the blue/white globe. have driving through numerous boose buses and neevr been done. An example of this is before I had the astra I had a Fairmont moded to the ****ter any way I have Mtec racing globes which where pure white with blue led parkers. I got done for them. Since have the astra and putting these blue babies in no probs at all...just a comment that it really suits the car

I agree mate that they do look awesome, but their penetration isn't brilliant. At least with the Crystal Vision's you still get decent penetration as well as a noticeable blue/white light. I spose it just comes down to personal preference. We could always get Xenon HID kits if we want the best of both worlds. :D If they weren't so expensive that is. lol

entice
6th March 2006, 09:16 AM
:)

I got my Piaa's whilst O/s In Japan...

only around 30(H1)-120(H4) a pair depending on the type of bulb and the K range. In Aus they are around $300 a pair last time I priced them (H4)

ROCCO
6th March 2006, 09:35 AM
PIAA's...name rings a bell but I don't think i've ever seen them. Anywhere online you can get some? Who stock em? still I don't mind the phillips as for the pentration doesn't seem to be affected to badly when compared to my wifes car. She has the standard globes that come with the astra.