PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if this is true??

btm
3rd March 2006, 09:56 AM
All M7 users

The M7 have implemented speed prevention devices based on the time one enters the motorway to time exiting.

Based on the distance, time travelled and time started and finished, they can work out your average speed.

If it is more than 15% over the speed limit, a fine will be presented.

The NSW Labour Government have authorised this to be legal and that NO 'SPEED CAMERA WARNING SIGNS' are required as there are no actual radars.

It is based on mathematics.

So beware, your $12 trip might cost you a lot more.

Mr T
3rd March 2006, 10:23 AM
I heard the same Rumour.

Remember years ago they use to have the pig in the sky in the 80's... That was when they flew a helicopter over a highway and timed drivers between lines drawn on the road. They managed to outlaw it because of some technical mathematical crap. The police commissioner was given a scenario in a trial and couldn't calculate the speed correctly or within a resonable time frame so the judge (Panel or who ever was ajudicating the session) found that if he couldn't calculate it then neither could a constable, and therefore outlawed it...

...I dont know exactly what was banned but it could also apply here...!!!

kirssn
3rd March 2006, 10:40 AM
you'll find it is true. got warned about it soon as the m7 opened by my dad. said that it's something which will soon be implemented in many other places. when they were installing these features on his sections of the m7 (superintendent for a few zones) they were delayed in doing their work coz the installers took forever.

Mr T
3rd March 2006, 10:52 AM
Check Point....TIME EXTENTION...!!!

btm
3rd March 2006, 10:56 AM
Check Point....TIME EXTENTION...!!!
don't you mean... Cheque Point.... FINE EXTENTION...!!! :D:D

oneightoo
3rd March 2006, 12:11 PM
BWAHAHAHAHA

i always say that when i go thru the checkpoints.. but when your approaching them, ya gotta go, BEEP BEEP BEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEP CHECK POINT ... TIME EXTENSION!!

rofl @ btm

180HOA
3rd March 2006, 05:46 PM
They've been doing this for years with trucks in NSW with the Safe-T-Cam sites - I read somewhere about 6 months ago that they were planning to upgrade the system so it would monitor all vehicles, and were testing it then... I haven't heard anything since - but it sounds like this is something similar?

Dee
3rd March 2006, 05:57 PM
I heard the same Rumour.

Remember years ago they use to have the pig in the sky in the 80's... That was when they flew a helicopter over a highway and timed drivers between lines drawn on the road. They managed to outlaw it because of some technical mathematical crap. The police commissioner was given a scenario in a trial and couldn't calculate the speed correctly or within a resonable time frame so the judge (Panel or who ever was ajudicating the session) found that if he couldn't calculate it then neither could a constable, and therefore outlawed it...

...I dont know exactly what was banned but it could also apply here...!!!
there is a sign on the Moorooduc Highway in Victoria that says that there is ariel speed detection systems in place with a pic of a helicopter... i never saw a helicopter over the area

CJB
3rd March 2006, 06:26 PM
lucky QLD aren't as sophisticated to implement any of these things, for the moment :p

pred8r
3rd March 2006, 09:45 PM
i dont think itd be long before the Ring Rd, Tulla, and Westgate Fwys all have point to point speed cameras.

Dee
3rd March 2006, 10:02 PM
they could just use the existing toll cameras and measure the time between them

EL BURITO
3rd March 2006, 10:09 PM
dam revenue rasing. NT's speeding laws need to be across the country

180HOA
3rd March 2006, 10:17 PM
Actually I don't have a problem with the point-to-point monitoring - the only way someones gonna get caught is if they speed over the whole journey. I think that's a lot better than a fixed camera where you might be unlucky enough to get pinched cos you break the speed limit briefly.

EL BURITO
3rd March 2006, 11:28 PM
Actually I don't have a problem with the point-to-point monitoring - the only way someones gonna get caught is if they speed over the whole journey. I think that's a lot better than a fixed camera where you might be unlucky enough to get pinched cos you break the speed limit briefly.

thats true

pred8r
3rd March 2006, 11:32 PM
thats true
no, if you sat on the speed limit for the whole journey but did occasional high speed to overtake, then returned to 'normal', all those overs would add up and you would get done if you average was higher than what they said was OK.

Also if your tyres are a little larger (rolling circumference) from factory spec, you could find that over some distance it would become a significant enough to bust you for it.

eg you have a 50Km trip and are travelling, according to your speedo, at 100km/h, if you did the journey in 29.5 mins, instead of 30, then you have been speeding, as your speedo is incorrect and you could be picked up for it.

stevedee3
4th March 2006, 10:50 AM
there is a sign on the Moorooduc Highway in Victoria that says that there is ariel speed detection systems in place with a pic of a helicopter... i never saw a helicopter over the areaMaybe you need a sunroof :), or perhaps fuel prices mean it's not profitable enough to put their chopper in the sky?

180HOA
4th March 2006, 12:04 PM
no, if you sat on the speed limit for the whole journey but did occasional high speed to overtake, then returned to 'normal', all those overs would add up and you would get done if you average was higher than what they said was OK.

Also if your tyres are a little larger (rolling circumference) from factory spec, you could find that over some distance it would become a significant enough to bust you for it.

eg you have a 50Km trip and are travelling, according to your speedo, at 100km/h, if you did the journey in 29.5 mins, instead of 30, then you have been speeding, as your speedo is incorrect and you could be picked up for it.

According to the first post in the article, there's a 15% tolerance. I imagine there'd always be some margin to allow for speedo inaccuracy.etc, just as there already is with fixed cameras. Add to that, if you drive from point A to point B, and it's all in a 100km/h zone (and you didn't exceed 100 km/h), it'd be rare that you'd actually average 100 km/h due to traffic, corners, etc. If you don't beleive me, try it in a car with a trip computer and measure your average speed over a journey. I find that usually my average speed over such a journey would work out to 90-95 km/h.

Gildo
4th March 2006, 12:39 PM
Find out where points A & B are, once u pass A try and hit top speed befor slowing down and stopping befor point B to wait a few mins for the "time to catch up" :D cant get caught that way

180HOA
4th March 2006, 12:43 PM
haha... that's pretty much what the truckies do in NSW... stopping for a nap midway between two checkpoints brings your average speed down quite a bit...

MiksOpel
4th March 2006, 01:50 PM
Not true guys, this is a hoax email,
http://www.westlinkm7.com.au/news-Detail.asp?NewsID=80

Media Westlink Dismisses Hoax Email
24/2/2006

Westlink M7 has dismissed a hoax email currently circulating that claims that the motorway has implemented a secret speed fine based on the time a vehicle enters and exits the motorway.

Flan Cleary, General Manager of Westlink M7, said that the email was a hoax and that no secret speed enforcement system operates on the Westlink M7.

Westlink supports safe driving and urges all motorists to comply with posted speed limits.

“However, the secret speed fine system detailed in the hoax email does not exist,” Mr Cleary said.

“Speed limits are enforced on the Westlink M7 through the normal policing measures that operate on all NSW roads.”

“Westlink meets regularly with the NSW Highway Patrol.”

Mr Cleary said that Westlink will be installing signs that remind motorists that speed cameras are used in NSW.

These are the standard speed camera signs seen on roads across the state and do not mean that any new or secret speed system operates on the Westlink M7.

----
But do beware of monkeys sitting on the toll structures, they throw banana's at you if you've been speeding, this is true because my uncle's sister's mothers father had this happen to him.

corsa2nv
4th March 2006, 03:06 PM
Easily Prevented, just fly down the M7 at whatever speed you would like to (200 plus watever), pull over in a truck stopping bay, and go for a smoke and think to yourself how fun that was:)

bill142
4th March 2006, 04:01 PM
Don't they or aren't they going to implement something similar to this on the hume highway in victoria?? I remeber reading something like that on drive.com.au once.

btm
6th March 2006, 11:27 AM
i think its something that they have always wanted to implement in most states... just a cost factor stopping them

Mr T
6th March 2006, 11:38 AM
To do it they will need either number plate recognition software (which is in development) or a secondary Vehicle Indentification, such as a toll pass.

I recon live it up while our cars are controlled by the driver. In years to come I am sure that the vehicles speed will be governed by a GPS unit that will implement a speed cap on the vehicle.

Corsa
21st March 2006, 11:27 PM
They've been doing this for years with trucks in NSW with the Safe-T-Cam sites - I read somewhere about 6 months ago that they were planning to upgrade the system so it would monitor all vehicles, and were testing it then... I haven't heard anything since - but it sounds like this is something similar?

The upgrade only involves a minor software change as all the hardware is in place for it to work. Whether the system bothers to read numberplates or not is based on the physical size of the vehicle travelling through it. All they have to do is make it read everything by changing one parameter. Very simple and the number plate recognition software has been in use for the truck monitoring stations for years. I had the opportunity to go and work on the installation of these sites around 7-8 years ago. Was a joint IBM/Telstra/RTA project.

As for the M7 i was spreading those rumours from before it opened. It got a few people thinking. They could do it easily if they wished to. Just because they haven't implemented it yet doesn't mean that they won't do it in the future. Laws may have to be rewritten to include this new method though.
Corsa

safetycar
24th March 2006, 08:46 PM
In NSW they have to by law put up heaps of speed camera signs before the camera.the cameras will also only activate if you are doing plus 10 percent plus 3 kph from what i have been told. i have been past many at 10% and have never been booked.In Vic they dont need signs but in NSW they must put up signs. So in NSW if you are confused by the signs the chances are you will not be booked as the law allowes the law to work if you fight it, but if your in Victoria your screwed because you have Sadaam ruling your state.

MatsHolden
24th March 2006, 10:30 PM
The same sort of thing is done in Victoria on the Mornington Peninsula, but the Police Airwing enforce it. There's lines at various intervals on certain roads and the Airwing randomly pick out cars and see how long it takes them to go from point to point. We do have warning signs though, 'Aerial Speed Detection'. But you'd have to be pretty unlucky to be the one picked out! haha