PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to import opel/vaxuhall?

Cheetahs
1st March 2006, 10:59 AM
Hi guys?How u guys doing? I got a question, is it possible to import vaxuhall/opel by ourself or import car dealer? Or the holden car deal can do it? I ask this question because "oneday" holden may not import opel in future because the poor benfit result of GM and their poor marketing in australia. (it is so stupid holden australia to put opel/vaxuhall in holden range, it should in vaxuhall/opel indepent car dealer)because in aussise mind holden is cheap car it is not worth to spend 30000 dollar to buy 'holden". like vecter zc is example good car poor sales. IF one day holden not import is it possible for opelaus fans or group of member to import or it is not possible because Australia govt is not allow?
love opel but not love holden

InsaneAsylum
1st March 2006, 11:42 AM
you will probably be able to import it if you owned it overseas for at least a year. this would be classified as a personal import.

i think the SEVS laws cover this. i'm not sure of the web site, but the laws are pretty clearly set out

EL BURITO
1st March 2006, 01:14 PM
I would like to ither import the new corsa D in the 1.8 or 1.9 CDTI. both of these use parts same as the Astras so that would fix the parts issue.

Cheetahs
1st March 2006, 01:28 PM
mate! where you will import? will you import by yourself or through the import car dealer?

EL BURITO
1st March 2006, 01:30 PM
still thinking about it. Have to investigate the leagal stuff.

Cheetahs
1st March 2006, 01:47 PM
is it hard for us to import opel from uk or in future if holden not import can we ask for holden do it for us (group of opelaus member) or group of opel fans. or any other car dealer can do it. From I understan new zealand import opel from japan(bad) and not from uk for used car sales.

DirtyHarry
1st March 2006, 04:57 PM
mate i dont think a holden dealer is going to import it for you. if they do that even for a group of people they will charge an arm and a leg.

rememer when you import something, you have to then pay all the taxes/duties, also you have to get it complied which is a few thousand dollars as well.

it wont be worth the cost.
the only time is was worth it was with jap cars, cause the 2nd hand ones were being sold as cheap as chips in japan and hence lots of import places opened up here in aus.
and then the car dealers had a fit cause lots of car were getting imported and hence why they changed the import rules not to long ago.

MatsHolden
1st March 2006, 05:17 PM
Hi guys?How u guys doing? I got a question, is it possible to import vaxuhall/opel by ourself or import car dealer? Or the holden car deal can do it? I ask this question because "oneday" holden may not import opel in future because the poor benfit result of GM and their poor marketing in australia. (it is so stupid holden australia to put opel/vaxuhall in holden range, it should in vaxuhall/opel indepent car dealer)because in aussise mind holden is cheap car it is not worth to spend 30000 dollar to buy 'holden". like vecter zc is example good car poor sales. IF one day holden not import is it possible for opelaus fans or group of member to import or it is not possible because Australia govt is not allow?
love opel but not love holden

Hey mate, the rebadging of Opels as Holdens in Australia is just the way it is, it works the same with Holden exporting commodores etc, being rebadged as Chevrolet Luminas in the middle east and the HSV GTO being rebadged as a Vauxhall Monaro in the UK. There's no point in GM pitching two of their larger brands against each other. On the importing issue of importing an Opel in the future should Holden discontinue them, it may be more of a headache than anything as you will have to ensure it complies with ADR (Australian Design Rules). Because if Opel don't have to export to Australia anymore then obviously, they won't be designing/building/modifying vehicles to suit ADR.

Cheers

EL BURITO
1st March 2006, 05:41 PM
most of the disign specs to suit UK are up to the standards required over here. No Holden dealer will import to Oz i have been looking today and simply put i cant be bothered with the amount of leagal stuff required and the taxes the guy was going on about simply put its going to cost me more than i am willing. If i dont get an Astra or a Tigra. I think i am just going to look toward the Mini.

MatsHolden
1st March 2006, 05:53 PM
most of the disign specs to suit UK are up to the standards required over here. No Holden dealer will import to Oz i have been looking today and simply put i cant be bothered with the amount of leagal stuff required and the taxes the guy was going on about simply put its going to cost me more than i am willing. If i dont get an Astra or a Tigra. I think i am just going to look toward the Mini.

I think Holden will still bring out the Astra and Tigra for a few years yet because it wouldn't be a very wise strategical move to discontinue them in the near future, as they have only recently released the Tigra and are still yet to release the Astra Coupe SRi Turbo and the hot HSV VXR. Also playing into our favour as fans of Opel sourced Holden's, is that Daewoo hasn't as yet got a suitable vehicle to fill the position of the Astra (Hatch, Wagon and Coupe) or the Tigra. Wish they were still bringing out the Corsa! but I guess i'll just have to move up a size to an Astra Coupe SRi Turbo when it comes time.

Cheers

pred8r
1st March 2006, 09:21 PM
HSV Corsa?

EL BURITO
1st March 2006, 10:11 PM
HSV Corsa?

the VXR Corsa D is a 1.6L turbo

pred8r
1st March 2006, 11:48 PM
the VXR Corsa D is a 1.6L turbo

they should have just dropped the 2.0T in it, all the dev work already done

EL BURITO
1st March 2006, 11:54 PM
they should have just dropped the 2.0T in it, all the dev work already done

The reg frindge beinifts tax work diff in the UK they have to keep it in one of the bands, 1-1.4 1.4-1.8 1.8-2.2 or somthing along those lines 1.6 stays in a lower group. but a standard 2L corsa would be pritty sick

bill142
2nd March 2006, 01:10 PM
On the importing issue of importing an Opel in the future should Holden discontinue them, it may be more of a headache than anything as you will have to ensure it complies with ADR (Australian Design Rules). Because if Opel don't have to export to Australia anymore then obviously, they won't be designing/building/modifying vehicles to suit ADR.

Cheers

Low import rules negate this. If less then 100 are imported every year a car does not need to be homologated to comply with ADR. The EVO Lancer is one such car which takes advantage of these rules.

MatsHolden
2nd March 2006, 05:39 PM
Low import rules negate this. If less then 100 are imported every year a car does not need to be homologated to comply with ADR. The EVO Lancer is one such car which takes advantage of these rules.

Ahh, that's good to know! but I don't think I could be bothered with all the other legalaties and the cost.

bill142
2nd March 2006, 08:57 PM
I don't think it would work with Opels sold here. Structurally the cars would be pretty much the same, even tho the same could be said for the Lancer and EVO Lancer. Once the model is superceeded or discontinued in the country then it would be worth it.