PDA

View Full Version : Article - Premium petrol isn't worth the price

blackSRi
24th February 2006, 12:51 PM
Did anyone see this?

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/stories/2041.asp

My Issue is they only tested an Aussie car - I wanna see figures for Opels (GM's from Europe - where high octane is common and ECU's map for 98RON)!

btm
24th February 2006, 12:57 PM
yeah i watched it on ACA the other night...

all they pretty much said was that if your car was built in australia then there is no benifit in using 95 or 98 RON

bill142
24th February 2006, 01:33 PM
Ughh.. ACA and TodayTonight are both journalistic rubbish and are usually factually wrong. The majority of people would believe that Premium petrol is not worth it based on this article which is factually in accurate as their research was not conducted on a wide enough variety of vehicles.

The article states that the tests were done in lab conditions, where the variables can be controlled and manipulated. This produces incosistient results to what is achieved in the real world.

InsaneAsylum
24th February 2006, 02:12 PM
agree with bill 100%

the stories are:
how to save money by <insert money saving scheme>
single mother that was ripped off
pensioner that was ripped off
dodgy labourers
dodgy compo claims
hoons and illegal street racing
alien invasion and other extra terrestrial phenomena

they don't hesitate to use old footage to back up new stories either

Poogene2001
24th February 2006, 02:28 PM
Next week they have a story called "dodgy tradesmen, who run their cars on PULP while claiming disability and beating their grand mothers"
Dont miss it!

btm
24th February 2006, 02:28 PM
Next week they have a story called "dodgy tradesmen, who run their cars on PULP while claiming disability and beating their grand mothers"
Dont miss it!
i'll have to make sure i get home in time for that one.... :D

lowey22
24th February 2006, 02:33 PM
i missed in on tv but have been looking for an article on it but to no avail, so thanks!

what a load of shiit. i hate ACA and those types of shows, they are waste of time and tv space, although most tv is a waste of space.

now im not sure, but premium is meant to let off less emissions too hey? they didnt mention anything about being better emission wise that i could see.

blackSRi
24th February 2006, 03:17 PM
I agreed - it's a shame "crap" like this gets reported (well reported in very skewed, selectively-biased way) - yes it's proven that 98RON is so much cleaner and better for environment, I'd buy it for that reason alone (less aromatics, less benzene, cleaner burn etc).
The more people that see this, the more higher octane fuels like BP Ultimate 98RON are marginalised and not used, and the higher the price stays (low-volume fuel sales).
The government is so scared about voters and petrol prices they won't legislate it's use in as mandatory (once that happens, Aussie-built cars WOULD have to be built to use it).
Its like the old leaded fuel debate - just a matter of time b4 it's all 98RON anyway - we can't keep polluting with crappy petrols.
Oh and don't get me started about prices - prices here for 98 RON as SO MUCH cheaper than UK, France, Italy Spain, that's a major reason why Europeans have predominanatly smaller-engined cars that are better for the enviroment and cheaper to run. (So there's the major reason for your Opel Corsa/Astra/Vectra etc).
Stupid Aussie car industry and 91RON! (it's nearly as bad as living with leaded).

Alfonzo
24th February 2006, 03:18 PM
News flash - ACA isn't worth my time ;)

Gildo
24th February 2006, 04:36 PM
Its amazing that ACA, didnt mention anything about peformance increase or drivability.
ACA only looked at the money side, $$$$ for KM.....but cmon thats not the reason 90% of australians use premium.

The show did give me a laugh though,
They asked this guy why he uses 95 octane, his reply "my car pings on 91" hehehe Wats your ansa to that ACA!

180HOA
24th February 2006, 05:45 PM
I agreed - it's a shame "crap" like this gets reported (well reported in very skewed, selectively-biased way) - yes it's proven that 98RON is so much cleaner and better for environment, I'd buy it for that reason alone (less aromatics, less benzene, cleaner burn etc).
The more people that see this, the more higher octane fuels like BP Ultimate 98RON are marginalised and not used, and the higher the price stays (low-volume fuel sales).
The government is so scared about voters and petrol prices they won't legislate it's use in as mandatory (once that happens, Aussie-built cars WOULD have to be built to use it).
Its like the old leaded fuel debate - just a matter of time b4 it's all 98RON anyway - we can't keep polluting with crappy petrols.
Oh and don't get me started about prices - prices here for 98 RON as SO MUCH cheaper than UK, France, Italy Spain, that's a major reason why Europeans have predominanatly smaller-engined cars that are better for the enviroment and cheaper to run. (So there's the major reason for your Opel Corsa/Astra/Vectra etc).
Stupid Aussie car industry and 91RON! (it's nearly as bad as living with leaded).

I agree 100%. Let's start a petition to mandate decent fuel and ban crap journalism...

blackSRi
24th February 2006, 05:53 PM
I agree 100%. Let's start a petition to mandate decent fuel and ban crap journalism...

Let's just start with decent fuel....we need a way of promoting our cause tho.... hmm...what's a high-rating show we can flog our "sensational" cause on...? (*hint* - lock me in Eddie) ... maybe we can help an oil company or two lobby Canberra - e.g. write some cabinet papers for the Environment minister etc...

Oh and here's some real-life Opel fuel economies (incl. 98RON) from Europe - http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/35-Opel/0-All_models.html

bill142
25th February 2006, 01:35 PM
My mother watches these shows almost daily. That Naomi Robson on todaytonight is so bland and boring and makes everything out to be that everyones being ripped off by big business. Oddly enough Kerry Stokes controlled companies are never mentinoned. Like wise with Nine and Businesses in which PBL have an intrest.

rjastra
25th February 2006, 02:11 PM
If your car doesn't require 98ROn then don't use it.

Car mag did a test of 95 vs 98 Ron fuels and found that it was really only turbo cars that reported any gain.

Even highly tuned engines like the 2L Renault Clio 182 reported miniscule gains (if any) on 98RON.

bill142
25th February 2006, 05:56 PM
Once again it all depends on the sample used. The only accurate one would be to test every car on the market.

blackSRi
25th February 2006, 11:32 PM
If your car doesn't require 98ROn then don't use it.

Car mag did a test of 95 vs 98 Ron fuels and found that it was really only turbo cars that reported any gain.

Even highly tuned engines like the 2L Renault Clio 182 reported miniscule gains (if any) on 98RON.

There's more to 98RON than just performance - and if the fuel sample has lost octane from age it's not a good measure (was the RON tested?).

As I was saying, the fuel is cleaner, and better for the environment, that's the main reason I use it.
I like the performance gain over 91, and it makes my SRi feel better to drive.

rjastra
25th February 2006, 11:47 PM
As I was saying, the fuel is cleaner, and better for the environment, that's the main reason I use it.

How do you know its better?

All fuels in Oz need to meet minimum standards. Anything else is just market hype generated by fuel companies to sell higher margin premium fuels ;)

91 RON was orginally chosen based on a perfromance vs cost to refine ratio.
Incidently it matched the standard fuel grade used in the USA (which most cars were then tuned to used).

blackSRi
26th February 2006, 01:03 AM
http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=4005835&contentId=7010414

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=4005834&contentId=7010413

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=4005840&contentId=7010908

http://www.msds.bp.com.au/pdf/ref_626_BP_Ultimate.pdf

"BP Ultimate™. This is a 98 octane fuel, with less than 1% benzene, compared to the Australian Standard specification of 5%. It also contains less than 50 ppm (parts per million) of sulphur, compared to the current Australian Standard specification of 500 ppm. These characteristics mean that BP Ultimate matches the most stringent environmental specifications being demanded in Europe and the USA. It is Australia's cleanest petrol and is only manufactured at BP's Kwinana Refinery in Western Australia."
http://www.bp.com.au/refineries/kwinana/kwinana.asp

http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/info/dsp_fuel_types.cfm

Or is all this bulls#$t?
I highly doubt it - you can't say this kind of thing without the regulatory authorities approving or vetting such claims with supported scientific and independent results.

180HOA
26th February 2006, 08:33 AM
Agreed. The main reason I buy Ultimate is the fact that it's cleaner, also. For that reason I'd use it regardless of what sort of car I was driving. Any gains in performance, driveability, efficiency and engine life are just bonuses. As for the cost - it amounts to around $150 extra per year for an average car even if you don't see any gain whatsoever in fuel consumption. Compare that against the hit you're taking in depreciation and it's a pretty minor cost of owning the car.

blackSRi
26th February 2006, 07:38 PM
Yep, it's a minor cost considering the reduced environmental impact - if you can afford it you should use it, although it would be better if more people used it. I find I get good kilometres/l although, I haven't tested it against tankfuls of 91 - I have only ever used 98RON since new.

Mr T
28th February 2006, 12:51 PM
Of course it is better....

Euro 4 emissions control laws due in Aus in 2 years, state that to comply, the fuel needs to be at least 95RON. If it wasn't better than 91/92 RON why would they stipulate it...!!!

Toss bags...

lucy
3rd March 2006, 08:55 PM

Just a thought with regards to the whole "leaded/unleaded" fuel thing, its my belief that leaded fuel is LESS harmful when there is no use of a catalyst than unleaded!!!
Therefore ya better use leaded fuel in your lawn mower. ;)

blackSRi
4th March 2006, 10:51 PM
Just a thought with regards to the whole "leaded/unleaded" fuel thing, its my belief that leaded fuel is LESS harmful when there is no use of a catalyst than unleaded!!!
Therefore ya better use leaded fuel in your lawn mower. ;)

Huh? Lead is still worse than unburnt volatile aromatics/NO2/SO2.
That's why it was banned?

I mean when you use leaded fuel (rather than 98RON Uleaded) you get:
1. Unburnt hydrocarbons,
2. Nitrous Oxides,
3. More Sulfur dioxides,
4. More Benzene,
5. Poisoned catalytic converter (in a cat-equipped car),
6. Plus tetra-ethyl lead leading to learning difficulties, lowered IQ etc...

Hmm worse...
Lucy, r u havin a lend?

Alfonzo
5th March 2006, 05:28 PM
Ughh.. ACA and TodayTonight are both journalistic rubbish and are usually factually wrong. The majority of people would believe that Premium petrol is not worth it based on this article which is factually in accurate as their research was not conducted on a wide enough variety of vehicles.Probably a nice big conspiracy to try and kick start sales of ethanol blend fuel, especially how they're all coming out and saying how it's such a good thing. Premium is bad! E10 is what's good! Use that!

/me takes off tin foil hat... :o

Mr T
6th March 2006, 11:16 AM
Talking about leaded fuel, wasn't it rated at 98RON...

...Thought I read that somewhere.

blackSRi
6th March 2006, 12:55 PM
Talking about leaded fuel, wasn't it rated at 98RON...

...Thought I read that somewhere.

I thought it was 95 or 96....hence why LRP is 96... :

http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/info/dsp_fuel_types.cfm

(the TEL boosted petrol from 91 to 96RON).

A good page is: http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/leadtet/leadh.htm

I am reading this thread - If you want high-octane, why not run on pure Tolulene?
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3059

Sam G
13th March 2006, 10:31 AM
Here in the UK we have normal unleaded (95RON) and super unleaded (97/98RON, depending on which servo you use), to be honest although there are performance and fuel economy benefits to SUL, unless you run something like a Subaru Impreza turbo or some kind of beefy engine'd car, normal unleaded is the best to use really, SUL on say a 1.4 is pointless.

Oh and if you think you got it bad there with petrol prices, they are ridiculous here as well, on average, normal unleaded is 90p/litre (about $2.13/litre), and SUL is 98p/litre (about $2.31/litre)...!

BTW - what is generally considered normal unleaded there - 91RON or 95RON?

In the 15-odd years I've been in the UK, I don't think I've ever seen 91RON petrol on sale on the forecourts here?!

GreyRex
13th March 2006, 10:45 AM
Ok i'll have a say in this discussion. Here, unleaded is 91, premium unleaded is 95, and BP Ultimate/Mobil Synergy is 98. Since i got my 1.8 SRi, ive only run it on 98. Since reading quite a bit of info on the exact benefits, ive gone to Premium. The brochure for the actual car says better performance on 95, and it's cheaper than 98. I know about the environmental impact of 98, but 95 is cheaper. Can't say ive noticed any real difference, only saving a dollar or two at the pump. It still costs me just under $50 to fill, so that's pretty good, and i'd say i get around 500kms to a tank in zee city:D

Gildo
13th March 2006, 11:04 AM
500 km to a tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!
u must have a light foot,
ive once gotten 300 off a tank, and my record is 420 (double demerits)....
on average im at about 390 km a tank.

btm
13th March 2006, 11:40 AM
500 km to a tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!
u must have a light foot,
ive once gotten 300 off a tank, and my record is 420 (double demerits)....
on average im at about 390 km a tank.
:eek: do you ever take your foot off the gas....!!??!!

GreyRex
13th March 2006, 12:45 PM
:eek: Exactamonto!! I drive my car pretty easy round the burbs, cuz seriously, there ain't much point racing to the next set of lights which is a few hundred metres away. Occasionally i'll give it a go, or i might take it up the moutains. I rarely run it to empty, hardly see the fuel light. Apparently the fuel light on the Barina comes on with either 6 or 8 litres left, then flashes with 2 litres. Cant say if let it run that dry... wouldn't want to:(

Gildo
13th March 2006, 02:08 PM
ummmm.....well lets just say that the car likes to be driven ...:)
I also do alot of driving though national parks......and they often have nice roads :D