PDA

View Full Version : New Car??

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 03:19 PM
Hi guys

Got a new job and will be looking for a new car in a few months time. I was just wondering what you guys would reccommend for around the the 25 - 30 +ORC Mark??

I was looking at a Lancer VRX the other day. The seem like great value for money and have an awesome warranty.

What else is there?

Oh yeah, it must have cruise control as well.

Cheers

Jason

Red AH SRI T
22nd February 2006, 03:25 PM
stay away from the lancer

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 03:27 PM
why do you say that?

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 03:33 PM
i dont lets say recomend the lancer but is better than the lets say hyundi. have u considered looking at the Astra, Corrola and Mazda 3 (not sure on the price) if u are still looking for space they all come in a wagon

woody
22nd February 2006, 03:33 PM
Not sure for the reason behind Blackies comment but i myself have known two people who owned VRX Lancers and anytime the mercury got above 30 degrees the dashboard didn't work.

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 03:34 PM
Impreza RV HatchManual$26,940.00*

Red AH SRI T
22nd February 2006, 03:35 PM
sure, its got good power, but it drives like crap, the lancer is more than a generation behind the small car pack. The interior is cheap and $hitty too.

And u need to read the fine print on that warranty, its not all its cracked up to be.
For example, the 10 year warranty, first 5 years is bumper to bumper, next five years is just engine and transmission and IS NOT transferable from the original owner

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 03:35 PM
Not sure for the reason behind Blackies comment but i myself have known two people who owned VRX Lancers and anytime the mercury got above 30 degrees the dashboard didn't work.

and my mates rear vission mirror falls off at 30 degrees

Red AH SRI T
22nd February 2006, 03:36 PM
or if ur waiting a few months the MY6.5 Astra will be out and u could opt for the leather heated seats in a CDX hatch.

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 03:37 PM
Are you guys talkin about the new lancer with the 2.4 mivec engine because there has been a major overhaul since the last one...

I have looked at the mazda but i don't think you can get cruise control with them.

Sorry to say fellas but the astra is a bit of a rip off now. I've compared to other brands and it just doesn't compare with features. The service is great from SOME holden dealers but the quality of car is a bit...average.

I've got a corsa and its crud, my sister has an astra that she hardly drives and its been in the shop heaps.

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 03:38 PM
or get the wagon seeing as what u did to ya XC when u ran out of room

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 03:39 PM
sure, its got good power, but it drives like crap, the lancer is more than a generation behind the small car pack. The interior is cheap and $hitty too.

And u need to read the fine print on that warranty, its not all its cracked up to be.
For example, the 10 year warranty, first 5 years is bumper to bumper, next five years is just engine and transmission and IS NOT transferable from the original owner

I've sat in a few VRX's and the interior seems fine. Better then the mazda 3.

I've read the fine print on the warranty.

With my new job i will probably do the entire 160,000 kilometres with the first 5 years anway.

I also couldn't give a phuck if the warranty is transferable... or not.

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 03:41 PM
or get the wagon seeing as what u did to ya XC when u ran out of room

lol. Good idea but with my new job i probably won't play in my band anymore. So i won't need the room of a wagon.

Although i will miss the extra space in the back. Good for carryin a whole heap of junk around.

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 03:42 PM
have u had a look at the Tiida

24,490+ORC for the Q with the leather

leather *drools*

Red AH SRI T
22nd February 2006, 03:44 PM
astra CDX coupe then :p

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 03:47 PM
I can imagine the tiida bein the same as the yaris or somethin else pretty crappy. I need to get somethin with a descent wheelbase as well. Travelin for 2 hours at a time doin 120 can get a bit sketchy in somethin with a cruddy wheel base and even worse suspension.

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 03:50 PM
seeeing as it the replacment for the Pulsur it is probly of a resnoble standard.

If u are going to be travling so much maby consider a disel

oneightoo
22nd February 2006, 03:51 PM
mazda 6?????

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 03:53 PM
Mazda 6 is too pricey for me.

Fuel and servicing isn't an issue. The company pays for that. I just have to finance the car out of my own pocket.

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 03:57 PM
Focus LX or ZETEC

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 04:01 PM
mmmm. I heard alot of bad things about fords service. I was leaning towards a Focus LX for a while but i signed up onto a ford focus forum and they have this section lon there, sortof like our UFO thread, but its all about the crappy service that people have had from ford.

They've said heaps of things about poor build quality and so fourth.

I have still yet to drive any of the aforementioned cars so that will be a deciding factor. At this stage tho i'm just trying to get an idea of what else is out there. And what has the best value for money.

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 04:07 PM
VW
Polo
1.4 Club 3 Door $16,990*

1.4 Match 5 Door $19,990*
1.9 TDI 5 Door (74kW) $22,990*
1.8 Turbo GTI 3 Door (110kW) $26,990*

golf
1.6 Trendline (75kW) $25,490*
1.6 Comfortline (75kW) $27,490*
1.9 TDI Trendline (77kW) $27,990+

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/dev2006/pdf/Price_List/JN31556A5pricelist.pdf

JohnBu
22nd February 2006, 04:11 PM
VW Polo GTi

or Madza 3 SP23

or 2nd hand Astra turbo.. :)

Red AH SRI T
22nd February 2006, 04:31 PM
*puts on his salesman hat*

What features are important to you in a new car?

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 05:04 PM
*puts on his salesman hat*

What features are important to you in a new car?

hot brunett with big boobs draped accross the bonet

Dee
22nd February 2006, 05:08 PM
or Madza 3 SP23
if you want something comfortable and a bit quicker, i'd look past the Mazda 3 SP23 and go for the Corolla Sportivo, i may be biased, but i drove the mazda and didn't like it, its a preference thing of course... ohh and the Toyota Cruise Control is an additional $600 (i got it for free) and you had better get in quick there are not many new ones left in the country

180HOA
22nd February 2006, 05:53 PM
have u had a look at the Tiida

24,490+ORC for the Q with the leather

leather *drools*

*shudders* imagining the quality of leather you'd get in a $25k car...

BTW, I also second the anti-Lancer sentiment. I think their engineering is pretty lame. Plus the resale on any Mitsu is gonna be appaling - even if they don't go belly-up altogether.

At $25k, I'd look closest at the Focus and perhaps a slightly used Golf V (don't go for the 1.6, the rest of the car is too good for a 1.6). No matter what brand you buy you're gonna get people that are happy and people that hate their car/dealer. No brand will be a guarantee of quality/reliability - it's always a bit of a gamble (that's what warranty is for). So I'd say go for the one (if any) that has some emotional appeal. It's much easier to forgive something that breaks down if you like it than it is if the only reason you bought it was because you thought it wouldn't break down... (does that make sense?)

Alfonzo
22nd February 2006, 06:24 PM
Brand new Honda Civic Sport. It's at the high end of your price bracket, but from what I've seen of it, it looks to be bloody good value. I have lots of good things to say about Honda.

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 06:27 PM
I'm also a fan of hondas. Do you havea link to see the specs or somethin. I can't find anythin on honda.com.au

EL BURITO
22nd February 2006, 06:41 PM
*shudders* imagining the quality of leather you'd get in a $25k car...

lether in the astra coup seems alright

blackSRi
22nd February 2006, 07:24 PM
I know the pain -
I looked at:
Hondas,
Toyota Corolla Sportivo,
Renault,
Pugs,
Polo GTi,
Mazda SP23
Sonatas,
Ford Focus Zetec,
Waiting for a new AstraT, etc,
I wish I had now got an Astra SRiT G - in 2005

- but in the end the best value for me was a low k, mint condition int/ext, imported EVO VII.
Why?
Great resale value (don't have to worry about a depreciated new car), excellent specs, turbo'd, AWD.
All the other cars had issues, eg:
wait-list times, limited colour choice (Polo, Clio Sport, Corolla),
expensive for quality and performance (Mazda, Renault),
same specs as lower end (Focus Zetec Engine), etc etc.
Each to their own I guess - for me my criteria were:

already depreciated,
resale value good,
appointments/performance (a real AWD turbo with leather),
bang for buck,
safety (dual airbag, sports ABS and Brembro brakes),
reasonable fuel economy,
no need to add any options - driveable "as factory specc'd).

The only issue I have is insurance and warranty.

It's worth working out what your list of priorities is - that's how I originally chose my Astra SRi in 2002 and now this car.

JasonGilholme
22nd February 2006, 08:30 PM
How do you find the interior with the evo?? Its the same materials and layout as the current VXR which i'm looking at. How many k's has yours done?? I know the VXR has a different motor, but how do you find the workmanship and quality??

Thanks in advance

Jase

Bernard Siong
22nd February 2006, 08:48 PM
clio sport 2nd hand is around 20-25
but its small and second hand...

pred8r
22nd February 2006, 09:06 PM
Citroen C2 VTR - Nice car, 'interesting' 'box.

blueraven
22nd February 2006, 09:09 PM
best car under 30k on the road is the new Polo gti, go take one for a spin...
(its also the cheapest turbo on the market as far as i could see :D )
get the leather too, worth every damn penny. i was only inches away from signing on the dotted line for one... until a mint astra turbo fell into my lap for nearly 10k less :D:D:D putting the deposit on it tonight :D

the polo compared to EVERYTHING i have seen so far new or old has by far the best interior i have seen, the leather in amazing (was parked next to a liberty gt at the dealer and made the leather in a 60k car look nasty) and the dash and stereo are awesome. Not to mention for $1200 you can get an undetectable APR upgrade and that will see you get 152kw....which will then make it eat the renault sport clio for lunch ( which was my second option, but it was way smaller..even tho its the best handling car i have ever driven ;) ). the renault was amazingly quick and handled great, but the looks both inside and out, plus the gearshift felt like it was at least 6 inches too far forward.

so yeh, if you really want to go new, it would be the polo for sure... i looked as so many cars i got bored...just couldnt get past the polo for a new car..

mazda 3- build quality very avg
toyota sportivo - slower than you think unless you are absolutely hammering it..flat seats...
astra coupe - looks sweet but gutless unfortunately :(
ford focus zetec - was ok..just felt bland and not that quick

for the polo gti check out www.vwvortex.com and find the australia forum section...everyone is rraving about them.. buy now while the wait is only 2 months :P

woohoo 200 posts :D

blueraven
22nd February 2006, 09:21 PM
I know the pain -
It's worth working out what your list of priorities is

i did exactly that and checked out basically everything on that list too...it was down to the polo gti /a hot import/ astra turbs...

Dee
22nd February 2006, 09:36 PM
toyota sportivo - slower than you think unless you are absolutely hammering it..flat seats...
but will beat a mazda 3 sp23 any day of the week :)

blackSRi
23rd February 2006, 12:41 PM
How do you find the interior with the evo?? Its the same materials and layout as the current VXR which i'm looking at. How many k's has yours done?? I know the VXR has a different motor, but how do you find the workmanship and quality??

Thanks in advance

Jase

Well the EVO 7 dates from 2001 - 2003. The interior is different to the VRX (you do mean the VRX Lancer, not Vauxhall VXR). The console layout is similar, but the dash and centre console is all better quality. My seats are leather Recaros, not standard cloth seats! My car has done 41,000km and the quality is top notch (Japanese high-end usually is).

Have a look:

http://tk.files.storage.msn.com/x1pZLh117Fh3wrsPEpqi475BNROv29slg_ldbfy07a_5dk85FY TUjm2Lca-UlX2X01nCwH2eH9i8mjX6A9S6XnkpldoHtMxzrh-R1PoJdQBDrtZymmzFl8VdSPi8g8EPjvXgURX8BjPnnI

http://tk.files.storage.msn.com/x1pZLh117Fh3wrsPEpqi475BOkEKauaALteFa5akQUSaAVQb4x k19FcFM4MJ9MCVSzk_tw4DgiqanDgGfdVzBTChfjfdb9Rl9MnW YmvA4yZbJQOB64HUHOnrqpawPIBcM1H86n6FPUx7fY

blackSRi
23rd February 2006, 12:44 PM
i did exactly that and checked out basically everything on that list too...it was down to the polo gti /a hot import/ astra turbs...

Polo was very tempting for me too - but the fact it's small, looks like a shiopping trolley and has a long wait time put me off.
My SRi lease expires soon so I couldn't afford to wait for the "mythical" VXR or H Turbo (plus it just has the "old" 2.0L) ...plus they are miles more expensive than my EVO.

Red AH SRI T
23rd February 2006, 01:11 PM
that interior is hideous!

*vomits*

the current lancer interior is an abomination :D

btm
23rd February 2006, 01:25 PM
stay away from the lancer
ditto - but not just the lancer, any mitsubishi in general

they will be gone in Oz by the end of this year (my prediction)

They are even struggling in their home town, Japan

If they do go bust in Oz, then this will kill resale value, make servicing & parts more expencive/harder to find

just my opinion :)

blackSRi
23rd February 2006, 01:43 PM
that interior is hideous!

*vomits*

the current lancer interior is an abomination :D

Jealousy's a curse - what, you're allergic to Recaros and Alacantra? ;)

As for Mitsubishi going broke? well maybe in Oz, but Japan will be unlikely - the Mitsubishi koetsu won't let it happen, besides, it doesn't matter to me if Mitsu Oz goes under, if I need parts they will come from Japan anyway...

btm
23rd February 2006, 02:06 PM
besides, it doesn't matter to me if Mitsu Oz goes under, if I need parts they will come from Japan anyway...
true - it wont effect you if only Oz Mitso goes belly up (there will always be plenty of places for performance import parts - justjaps etc)

but your standard everyday mitso.... say goodbye to your resale value...

JasonGilholme
23rd February 2006, 02:09 PM
I don't think they'll go broke any time soon. They've been round for ages and they just spent 600 million bucks on a plant for aus.

At the moment its a toss up between the following

2006 Honda Civic Sport
2006 Mitusbishi Lancer VXR
2006 Mazda SP23

blackSRi
23rd February 2006, 02:16 PM
I would only look at 1. and 3.
And 1. would be way better than 3. any day.

The SP23 was a disappointment - more like an "executives' sports car" (mm.. that also goes for the Lancer VRX - I only know guys over 50 driving either...lol).

Dee
23rd February 2006, 02:18 PM
i'd prefer a honda over a mitsubishi anyday... even with their 5 year warranty, and i didn't like the drive or the interior of the SP23

btm
23rd February 2006, 02:25 PM
besides, it doesn't matter to me if Mitsu Oz goes under, if I need parts they will come from Japan anyway...
true - it wont effect you if only Oz Mitso goes belly up (there will always be plenty of places for performance import parts - justjaps etc)

blackSRi
23rd February 2006, 04:16 PM

Oh yeah, I agree absolutely resale value you would expect to be worse. All depends on how they handle warranty too.

I get my parts direct from wholesaler or sometimes retail stores (specials and custom orders) in Osaka or Kobe Japan, it's cheaper that way. Sometimes guys like justjaps are cheaper 'cos of the wholesale freight rate they get (I'm not yet packing containers in Japan lol).

btm
23rd February 2006, 04:26 PM
Oh yeah, I agree absolutely resale value you would expect to be worse. All depends on how they handle warranty too.
i imagine the warranty would be out the window...

180HOA
23rd February 2006, 05:53 PM
I don't think they'll go broke any time soon. They've been round for ages and they just spent 600 million bucks on a plant for aus.

If you ask me spending that kind of money on the 380 was a numbnut decision. What kind of management pins the future success of the company on a product in a market sector that's been in consistent and accelerating decline for over a decade? Especially when you've never had enormous success selling in that market in the past?

And I'm not certain, but I think Mitsu Oz probably went 'broke' a long time ago. I doubt they'd still be manufacturing here if governments didn't keep throwing them money. I can't see that happening anymore because they used to have this fabulous new car under development that would solve all their problems. Now the fabulous car seems to be flopping and they have nothing at all left up their sleeve...

btm
23rd February 2006, 05:55 PM
the new 380 was the "make or brake" for mitsu Oz

so far all signs are pointing to "brake"

CJB
23rd February 2006, 05:59 PM
what??? is Mitsubishi going under????

I thought the Lancer sales were going well?

blackSRi
23rd February 2006, 06:00 PM
Ahh well, they're exporting the 380 to NZ - wonder when it will hit US and if it's in the MiddleEast? I haven't checked...

btm
23rd February 2006, 06:01 PM
what??? is Mitsubishi going under????

I thought the Lancer sales were going well?
just my prediction crispix - that mitsu oz will be no more as of the end of this year

CJB
23rd February 2006, 06:02 PM
I thought the 380 was instead of importing the american galant?

I like it too... looks alright. I am stunned that Mitsu australia aren't doing well.

CJB
23rd February 2006, 06:03 PM
just my prediction crispix - that mitsu oz will be no more as of the end of this year
ahh, well I know you don't just whacked predictions. But even so. I can't imagine not having Mitsubishi here anymore.

btm
23rd February 2006, 06:05 PM
I am stunned that Mitsu australia aren't doing well.
don't tell me this is the first you have heard about it.... they have been spiraling downhill at a steady rate for years now

CJB
23rd February 2006, 06:06 PM
don't tell me this is the first you have heard about it.... they have been spiraling downhill at a steady rate for years now
This is the first I have hard about it :eek:

sorry :)

I knew the Magna wasn't selling, hence the 380, but I thought was it.

blackSRi
23rd February 2006, 06:10 PM
This is the first I have hard about it :eek:

sorry :)

I knew the Magna wasn't selling, hence the 380, but I thought was it.

Fleeting chance for 380 (http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,18158073-21822,00.html)

CJB
23rd February 2006, 06:16 PM
Fleeting chance for 380 (http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,18158073-21822,00.html)
I just read that from your link in the Barina thread ;)

wow... thats not good.

Alfonzo
24th February 2006, 12:54 AM
I'm also a fan of hondas. Do you havea link to see the specs or somethin. I can't find anythin on honda.com.au
www.hondacivic.com.au (http://www.hondacivic.com.au)

Civic Sport:

2.0L 114kW i-VTEC engine
SRS side, i-SRS front, Curtain Airbags all front and rear
16" alloy wheels
Leather trim & sunroof
4 disc brakes, front vented
Electric steering (good? you decide :) )
Fog Lights
6-stacker in-dash CD player

Pictures don't do this car justice, I'm afraid. I've been watching the development of this replacement (since we own a '96 Civic, I've always been interested in what the reincarnations are like), and when I saw pictures on the internet I was really disappointed we weren't getting the Euro (http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/638/638342/civic-euro-spec-20050802031530211.jpg) Civic (http://www.autoblog.com.es/fotos/honda/3civic_euro5.jpg) (which, incidentally, looks exactly the same as the initial 2005 concept (http://carsmedia.ign.com/cars/image/article/597/597439/euro-civic-concept-20050318034543174.jpg)). However I went down to the local dealership after work last night, and wow, I'm very impressed. The dash is just unbelievably unique, while it may take some getting used to I think it's incredible. You simply must see this car in person.

Between your three picks, I'd leave the Lancer out. Mitsubishi are really hanging on through promises of huge warranties and massive discounts. I received the Brisbane's Best Car Buys magazine in the junk mail the other day - Toowong Mitsubishi are offering MASSIVE - as in up to $17,000 - off new cars!! Just to get sales! (http://www.bestcarbuys.com.au/b87/pages/bbcb_page14.html) Look at what they've slapped on the Lancer to get people to buy it, and notice they're selling that WITH all those accessories - for only $500 more than a bog stock Lancer LS MIVEC.

I wish I could say something bad about the SP23 (I really like the new Civic, lmao), but I can't. It's a great car. If you ever needed a reason to knock the shortlist down to a final two, there's your reason above. But I can't help any more - the SP23 is a very nice car.

Red AH SRI T
24th February 2006, 08:21 AM
Ok, go drive them both, hmm, i dont mind that purple blackish colour the Civic comes in either

damn shame we dont get the lush hatch!

JasonGilholme
24th February 2006, 08:46 AM
chances are ill get the civic.

I went down to the dealer yesterday and sat in one and was immediately blown away. The dash is sweet, The steering wheel looks awesome and the rest of the interior isn't too bad. I only sat the the VTI (the cheapest one) and it still blew me away. I can't wait to go for a test drive in the sport mid week.

Jase

Red AH SRI T
24th February 2006, 08:50 AM
good luck!!!!

blueraven
24th February 2006, 10:15 AM
do me and yourself a favour and drive the polo gti too. unless its too small for you...

wheels magazine just did their full review on the polo gti its out right now....

rjastra
24th February 2006, 12:50 PM
I would recommend the Polo Gti as well.. Biased as I own one but it has the same solid feel that my old Astra SRi had. But the Polo is far quicker.

The Civic looks very good in Sport trim. Too big for me but I have a feeling that it will be a better overall car than the SP23.

If you are doing lots of Kms i doubt the SP23 is the car to have. CC is optional and the road noise is atrocious. Much worse than the Astra.

You could be adventourous and try the new model Citroen C4 5 door VTR manual with the 2L engine. Only $30K. Think you can optiona JBL stereo in it as well as HID headlights etc etc.

blueraven
13th March 2006, 03:41 PM
having just bought my sri turbo on the weekend, i can tell you its significantly faster than the polo and not far off the cliosport for speed and handling. I dont like the dash plastics that much, but the rest of the car is faaaantastic ;)

vectraguy01
13th March 2006, 04:15 PM
if ur wanting a great handling car either go for the DC2 or DC5 Honda Integra Type R, DC2 u can get them for just over $20k, or DC5 for just under $30, and they are a great car.