PDA

View Full Version : Astra T - Radiator removal

ArdenBlue
22nd February 2006, 12:30 PM
Guys,

The wife decided to do some 'panel beating' to the front of her Astra T, and managed to put a crack in the radiator . It looks like the A/C compressor has been pushed into the radiator and cracked it somewhere low down. There is only a small mark on the front bar and no other visible damage.

Has anyone removed/replaced the radiator from an Astra T (2003 model)? Is it an easy job? I have removed the front bar and disconnected the intercooler, but would prefer to hear from someone that has done it before I continue.

Cheers

Shaun
22nd February 2006, 03:51 PM
My dad and i have replaced mine. have to pull the reinforcement panel off on the front. takes about about an 2 hours if i remember correctly to pull apart. and is a bit of a **** job from memory. but cheaper then getting holden to do it.

ArdenBlue
22nd February 2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks Shaun

Time it takes doesn't really bother me, its getting it all back together without any bits that won't go back on. But if it's 2 hours, I'd be pretty happy.

I just got hold of the service and repair manual - it doesn't look too bad. Here are the steps in case any body else ever tries this:

Remove battery and battery carrier
Remove air cleaner housing
Remove front panelling (i.e. bumper bar)
Remove fan housing with fan motor
Detach compensation tank coolant hose from radiator.
Secure radiator to upper brackets
Detach coolant line bracket from lower radiator bracket.
Detach lower radiator bracket from front axle body – note dissimilar brackets.
Detach condenser from radiator – attach condenser to front panel.
Release radiator and remove downwards.
If present: Remove surrounding seal between radiator and condenser.
Note: The surrounding seal is not re-installed and must therefore be disposed

VioSpeed
13th September 2014, 10:02 PM
Thanks Shaun

Time it takes doesn't really bother me, its getting it all back together without any bits that won't go back on. But if it's 2 hours, I'd be pretty happy.

I just got hold of the service and repair manual - it doesn't look too bad. Here are the steps in case any body else ever tries this:

Remove battery and battery carrier
Remove air cleaner housing
Remove front panelling (i.e. bumper bar)
Remove fan housing with fan motor
Detach compensation tank coolant hose from radiator.
Secure radiator to upper brackets
Detach coolant line bracket from lower radiator bracket.
Detach lower radiator bracket from front axle body – note dissimilar brackets.
Detach condenser from radiator – attach condenser to front panel.
Release radiator and remove downwards.
If present: Remove surrounding seal between radiator and condenser.
Note: The surrounding seal is not re-installed and must therefore be disposed

Going through a radiator replacement this weekend and when I read this I thought this was some sick joke lol until i stumbled across this:

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/astra-h/j__engine_and_engine_aggregates/cooling_system/radiator/repair_instructions/radiator_remove_and_install_%28with_air_conditioni ng%29/

I replaced a radiator on a Toyota a few years ago and it was so easy compared to all this

adam_92
14th September 2014, 09:35 AM
This thread was from 2006. Pleade check the dates mate. Im sure they have replaced the radiator within the last 8 years

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

VioSpeed
15th September 2014, 06:33 PM
in the middle of removing the radiator and just wanting more information on what this is for as I need to unscrew it. When I started to unscrew it a pressurised white smoke starting coming out so I quickly tightened the nut back up.

http://i.imgur.com/WG5ECDy.jpg

guy 27
15th September 2014, 06:37 PM
thats your aircon condenser. You will now need to get the system regassed (as well as get the o-ring that is in that location replaced)
There is no need to undo any hoses from the aircon system.

VioSpeed
15th September 2014, 06:44 PM
hmm that sucks :( So even if it was only loosened for 2 secs it's gone? How much does it cost to regas it?

guy 27
15th September 2014, 06:52 PM
depending where you go could be anywhere from $30 to $100.

Its a high pressure closed system. it will have lost a lot of pressure.

VioSpeed
15th September 2014, 06:56 PM
ok thanks, So If I'm trying to take the old radiator off do i need to hold the condenser up somehow as it the only thing holding it up is the radiator mounting

guy 27
15th September 2014, 07:20 PM
you just need to undo the 2 bolts that hold it to the radiator and then swing it out. this will give you just enough room to get the radiator out.
You need to remove the reo bar first, fan and all the wiring.

VioSpeed
15th September 2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks i got the reo bar off, the radiator should come off with the fan on it right? Also, these 2 nuts just release the final 2 lines right? Do I need to watch out for anything when taking these off?

http://i.imgur.com/eMiRPSh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SPuKMxZ.jpg

guy 27
15th September 2014, 08:50 PM
no remove the fan from the radiator. lift up and move it back.

yes undo the banjo bolts. You will loose a bit of transmission fluid. Lift hoses up high so fluid won't keep flowing out and don't let any dirt get in so cover them over.
remember to top it up again once its all together. Do not lose the copper washers. there are 2 on each one.

VioSpeed
15th September 2014, 08:57 PM
You will loose a bit of transmission fluid. Lift hoses up high so fluid won't keep flowing out and don't let any dirt get in so cover them over.
remember to top it up again once its all together. Do not lose the copper washers. there are 2 on each one.

Hmm now I'm scared lol, I'm no mechanic and I've got no idea how to fill up transmission fluid, thanks for mentioning this as I would have had no idea about trans fluid coming out.

BTW, does the battery need to come out to properly get to the top banjo bolt?

guy 27
15th September 2014, 09:28 PM
depends how small your hands are. I usually remove the battery. just gives lots more room.

VioSpeed
16th September 2014, 07:29 PM
Finally got the radiator out. Still trying to comprehend the amount of work that has to go into this for an Astra lol. Got the condenser and fans sitting on a box and slipped the radiator out from underneath. The lower radiator hose that plumbs into the engine was so hard to take off I ended cutting it off as I had purchased new hoses. It boggles my mind the the battery, battery tray, air box, front bar etc all has to come off by design.

Only about 50ml of trans fluid came out when i removed those lines from the rad.

I hope this picture helps some people which shows what needs to come off

http://i.imgur.com/M9RvTT4.jpg

VioSpeed
21st September 2014, 07:43 PM
hey guy27, ive put everything back on except the front bumper and added tap water into the radiator so I can flush it fully. Now 2 lights are on, the emissions light and the engine cooling light stay fully on. I ran the car for 10 minutes, I had 0 leaks what so ever but the 2 lights wouldn't go away.

http://i.imgur.com/wRmxqCj.jpg

I also noticed this plug was missing, I don't remember unlplugging this, what is this for and is something meant to go there?

http://i.imgur.com/MRAC12v.jpg

guy 27
21st September 2014, 07:51 PM
are the plugs on the aircon condenser and compressor plugged in?

VioSpeed
21st September 2014, 08:14 PM
are the plugs on the aircon condenser and compressor plugged in?

Yep i can see a plug firmly pushed into the aircon compressor, is the other plug the big one that goes into the fan? If so yep thats plugged it and worked when i turned the car on.

The only cable that I can see thats not plugged in is the one I showed in the pic earlier and this one that goes into the front bumper. Does this one need to be plugged in as well?

http://i.imgur.com/wWYw7CI.jpg

guy 27
21st September 2014, 08:18 PM
No the outside air temp won't matter. There is a small plug on the aircon condenser on the drivers side. It's on the same loom as the aircon compressor plug.

VioSpeed
21st September 2014, 08:36 PM
Ok i checked these 2 plugs and both were firmly pushed in. I've also left them plugged in through the entire radiator swap and didn't touch them.

http://i.imgur.com/IIe7Yfu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bvTZZ2X.jpg

guy 27
21st September 2014, 08:54 PM
in that case it could be due to low pressure in the aircon system from when you let out some gas. Get a scan tool to see what fault code comes up. unfortunately without seeing the car or having codes I can't be of any further assistance.

VioSpeed
21st September 2014, 08:58 PM
Ok no worries, thanks for your help. If i try and find a OBD2 scan tool would that be able to tell me where the problem is coming from?

guy 27
21st September 2014, 09:07 PM
should do :)

VioSpeed
22nd September 2014, 05:32 PM
put the front bumper back on and took a 15 min drive around the block however the water temp sensor on the dash didn't move at all. The aircon doesn't blow any cold air (i'll get that regassed at some point) and the emissions + engine cooling light stays on. Half way through the radiator swap I was thinking to myself I should have taken it to a mechanic but didn't think I would have any trouble once I got the new rad back in. I ordered a OBD2 scanner so hopefully it can determine which sensor is causing the problems.

VioSpeed
22nd September 2014, 07:35 PM
finally worked out why the engine cooling light was on, I had knocked the water temp sensor out of place a bit up near the top radiator hose when trying to put the rad clamp on. Clicked it back in and now the temp guage works and the light is gone :). The "Emmisions" light is still on for some reason, hopefully the OBD scan tool can erase the code or tell me whats wrong with it

VioSpeed
24th September 2014, 04:28 PM
The emissions light has disappeared also the next day when I started the car. So everything is working well except the aircon which of course was my fault for loosening the gas plug.