PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth lowering my veccy 15mm

Vectra V6
22nd February 2006, 10:22 AM
I'm thinking of lowering my veccy. atm i have 17" rims with a 35mm profile, looks a bit like a 4wd....... Got a quote from Pedders for $550 for lowering springs supply + fitted, which will lower the car 15mm....... you guys reckon its worth lowering the car only 15mm, does it look any good or should i go a little more and replace the shocks?

CateO
22nd February 2006, 10:46 AM
I got my astra lowered 10-20 mm when I first got my 17" wheels (put some SRI springs in it, fitted for $170), to lessen the 4wd effect. It worked slightly for me, but didn't stop everyone from telling me that my 'high rider' looked like a 4wd still. For $550 and lowering only 15 mm .. hm .. not sure about that. I'm getting mine lowered 35mm this weekend for $440, probably different for my Astra tho.

InsaneAsylum
22nd February 2006, 10:49 AM
i have mine done with pedders... its a lot lower than 15mm

i also have 17" with 45 profile (it's actually a percentage of the width, not a direct measurement) and guards sit just above the tyres.

you'll also have excessive negative camber once it's lowered.

if your not sure, get a set of king springs and have them installed by a suspension shop.

Kacper
22nd February 2006, 11:09 AM
15mm and you will barely notice the difference, and 550 is a bit dear I'd think. My veccy is lowered with king springs, that are supposed to have dropped it 40mm, but I havn't measured. Anyway I got my springs for $290 all up(was 330 and went to pay and they said 290 so I kept quiet). But I put them in myself, so I saved on labour. I found that I could get away in my car without a camber kit(which are very hard to find for a vectra) to compensate for the negative camber because my rear tyres had more wear on the outside of the tyres anyway, so the lowering would help that. And the front tyres, I can't really explain but (don't know what they're called) these arm thingies blah blah but the end result is similar camber. I havn't gotten it measured so I'm only estimating. If you want I can send you some pictures of before and after and pictures or help if you want to do it yourself.
I havn't gotten some radical rims yet so it's still kind of looks crap but whatever.

Vectra V6
22nd February 2006, 11:17 AM
15mm and you will barely notice the difference, and 550 is a bit dear I'd think. My veccy is lowered with king springs, that are supposed to have dropped it 40mm, but I havn't measured. Anyway I got my springs for $290 all up(was 330 and went to pay and they said 290 so I kept quiet). But I put them in myself, so I saved on labour.

I forgot to mention that i may be putting extensions on later.... out of curiousity where did you get your springs? did you replace your shocks considering you dropped 40mm?

If you can send me some before and after pics that would be helpful.....

cheers

InsaneAsylum
22nd February 2006, 04:18 PM
there's an eibach kit for the v6 on e-bay right now. starting at $350

i would choose this over king or pedders

blueraven
22nd February 2006, 09:30 PM
eibach is very good :)
15mm is not good.
king springs cheap and ok, ride quality not amazing.

Bernard Siong
22nd February 2006, 10:19 PM
you can get the camber kit for 150 fitted at ozzy tyres
well thats what i paid for my astra..

15mm for $550! wtf...
not worth it at all man

btw turbo springs in a astra dont do **** all, get kmac and drop it 3-4inches i did it, looks mad

Wattie
23rd February 2006, 10:05 AM
i paid 300 for a k-mac camber kit fitted to my vectra, camber doesnt look too bad, untill you fix it the your like **** it was bad!!
i have kind springs, all good, no probs, still got standard shocks.
beware camber kit makes your car look higher... :(

Kacper
23rd February 2006, 01:23 PM
I odered my kings through repco in artarmon(sydney). Looking at the pictures it's hard to spot much difference between the two, but when standing up it really looks lower, although I don't think it would have dropped the claimed 40mm. And the fact that I still have my crappy stock wheels doesn't help either, with bigger wheels it makes it look much better and noticeable.

Copy them into a word document and highlight over them and you can see the difference better.