PDA

View Full Version : Pros And Cons Of High Flow Cat?

Bernard Siong
17th February 2006, 08:33 PM
ive found someone that imports xforce for cheap
im not a huge fan of xforce but for the prices i cant complain

anyway we got talking and i found out that i can buy just a highflow cat from him too
he told me its good because you get more torque but you waste alot more petrol

how does this work? it looks too simple to increase torque and waste petrol to me

Mr T
17th February 2006, 09:48 PM
I cant see how it would use more fuel, because there is no extra air going in, so no extra fuel.

It will gain more power as there is less restriction and hence your stichometric ratio reduces (porportion of enegy turned into heat). Less heat means more momentive force (power to the wheels).

Bernard Siong
18th February 2006, 01:13 AM
would it be beneficial to a 1.6L
atm im only running a 2inch cat back
i dont have plans to change headers...

or should i save the $$$..

DirtyHarry
18th February 2006, 01:49 PM
it would increase you petrol usage because the cat would reduce the back pressure, hence if there is less back pressure, than the oxygen sensors would pick up more oxygen in the exhaust, hence it would compensate for that by increasing the mixture ie making it abit more richer. Thats why you would use more petrol.

blueraven
18th February 2006, 09:20 PM
i have been told by 3 exhuast guys so far the almost ALL so called "high flow" cat's do NOT flow as good as standard cats of the same size. so for better flow, just get a bigger cat, not a "high flow" cat.

and in all seriousness, in a 1.6l...changing the cat wont give you any noticable difference..except to your wallet.