PDA

View Full Version : Holy Mother of god...Blueraven the racer?

blueraven
17th February 2006, 12:43 PM
jesus tittyf*cking christ.

Well boys and girls...seems lady luck has come along and bitchslapped me in the face. :D

i entered MOTOR magazine's competition to race for their team in the Dutton rally this year. I got a phone call. At work. i am on a week off...if i hadnt popped into work this morning to grab some stuff i needed for buying my new car (another story) i wouldnt have even know about this and would have missed out.

Oh yeh there was a mesage on my work phone... i was chosen as one of the 5 people to go and try out to represent Perth on tuesday at the ahg driving centre!!!!!

YAY!!...a once in a lifetime opportunity to race with a real team in a real car (porsche boxer s tuned) in a real race!!!!

problem...i have to go and "audition"..no problem, i feel i am a reasonable driver for my age. second problem... I HAVE NO GODAMNED CAR!!... :cry: i cant go on the scooter haha. so guess what. i will have to drive my girlfreinds HYUNDAI ACCENT :( around a racetrack against a skyline, a wrx and a honda jazz...yeh, the last one didnt scare me that much :lol: the guy said it didnt matter, that they will be judging on smoothness and skill, consistency blah blah....

so anyway this morning i have replaced all the brakepads and am getting some new tyres in a few minutes. God help me to drive the buggery out of that little car, enough to impress the judges that i should be the one from perth!!

anyone in perth willing to loan me a racecar? no? how bout a lotus? no? how bout their calibra? (which would seriously give me a chance as i KNOW how to drive a cally seriously fast, smooth and safe... )

anyone got any REAL advice/racing experince/tips?? ;)

http://www.dtec.com.au/images/pics/photo3-large.jpg

InsaneAsylum
17th February 2006, 12:55 PM
study the course before hand and plot your racing line, then stick to that line like glue. brake before the corner and once you get round the apex, foot to the floor. throttle off if you get out of shape and if you get into the litter just hold the wheel firm, no feet on an pedals. the litters there to stop you safely.

you'll need new good quality tyres. you will have no tyres left after a few laps if your using your girlfriend's hyundai with stock wheels and tyres.

oh and good luck :D

lowey22
17th February 2006, 12:57 PM
sounds like a heap of fun. good luck :)

oneightoo
17th February 2006, 12:58 PM
dude that would be awesome!!!

why dont you con bass into loaning you his cali??

you prolly have a good chance in the slower hyundai than if you jumped straight into a high powered car, like a calibra hehe ;) and by better chance i mean, smoother and more skillful, less likely to spin out of control..

good luck with it anyway.. and to think it was only last weekend i saw the video of your drag against the 70 series supra..

btm
17th February 2006, 01:00 PM
all the best mate - go hire an MX5 or something similar for a day or two :D

Mr T
17th February 2006, 01:01 PM
foot to the floor. throttle off if you get out of shape

We're talking about an accent here...:D

But yeah what he said and good luck dude...!!!

InsaneAsylum
17th February 2006, 01:10 PM
We're talking about an accent here...:D

But yeah what he said and good luck dude...!!!

hahahahah fair call :D

mx-5?????? WTF... he didn't win a "hairdresser for a day" comp

btm
17th February 2006, 01:13 PM
mx-5?????? WTF... he didn't win a "hairdresser for a day" comp
well its a hell of a lot cheaper than hiring a lambo for the day and quicker than an accent... :)

InsaneAsylum
17th February 2006, 01:15 PM
well its a hell of a lot cheaper than hiring a lambo for the day and quicker than an accent... :)

the swedish accent is quicker than an mx-5... i can never understand those damn swedes

oneightoo
17th February 2006, 01:19 PM
off topic here, but needs to be said..

sweedish chicks are hot..

rusole21
17th February 2006, 01:31 PM
hahaha those were all good but wrong. the key is 'slow and steady wins the race'! lucky bas#ard:D

InsaneAsylum
17th February 2006, 02:18 PM
when your finished, get out, walk up to the nearest guy and say:
"you almost had me? You never had me - you never had your car... Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake! You almost had me?"

InsaneAsylum
17th February 2006, 02:19 PM
hahahahahha

"jesse, visualize the win"

oneightoo
17th February 2006, 02:21 PM
menage en twoi!! menage en twoi!!

InsaneAsylum
17th February 2006, 02:22 PM
noooooooooooooooo monicaaaaaaaaaaaa

R3N
17th February 2006, 03:40 PM
Warning: Danger to Manifold

InsaneAsylum
17th February 2006, 03:43 PM
http://www.wtfhost.com/userfiles/Muerte_X/dangertomanifold.gif

Mr T
17th February 2006, 03:44 PM
Best things to do:

Hands at 9 and 3, seat close so you can use your knees to brace you, and soft hands...SOFT HANDS - dont grab the wheel like you're trying to choke it.

blueraven
17th February 2006, 04:15 PM
stop whoring my thread guys...

"your gonna win...I'm gonna win..." etc.. enough F&F quotes.

thanks for the info guys, i do know a few basics, i have been on trackdays before.....just on a motorcycle!! If i had a calibra, i would think i stand a chance..but who knows...

just put a fresh set of bridgstone supercats on the accent :D hahaha they aint the best, but my girlfreind didnt want me to put anything more expensive on her :(

Red AH SRI T
17th February 2006, 04:39 PM
good luck!!

*crosses fingers for you*

woody
17th February 2006, 04:40 PM
Get a course map and draw out the racing lines on the corners.. try and find a recent aeiral shot if you can and take note of landmarks around teh track you can use as breaking points etc.. remember... the tighter the corner the later the turn in...

blueraven
20th February 2006, 01:49 AM
cool.. seems i won an olympus camera too worth $500 :D
put some new brakepads and tyre on the little accent haha... its gonna be a sad, sad day...can you believe i have to wear a helmet too? i doubt the thing will reach over 100 on the straight lol....

i seriously doubt i can impress the judges enough in an accent...would be hard enough in my old calibra...unfortunately all the mates that would have offered their cars..one blew the head gasket last week...one is up north on a minesite, his mint turbo calibra in the frikkin garage here.....but he has the keys!! an another with a lancer coupe....which i figure will be pretty much on par with the accent so why bother...

could ask a few more...but no point really, i definately dont have time to learn their cars...plus its not really kosher to ask such a thing.. i dont know how i would feel if a mate asked to thrash my baby round a track :D

blueraven
20th February 2006, 02:19 PM
just found out the car they are putting into the rally is a prepped golf gti :D:D

there is still hope!! (as i am used to driving a fwd quick).. tho i havent driven the golf, i have driven a polo gti, astra turbo and a renault clio recently so that i think gives me a little insight as to how to tackle the golf :)

the instructor said we will all do the training in our own cars, then we will all get a session with the golf and whoever is smoothest, most consistent and quicket out of us will get the drive :)

oneightoo
20th February 2006, 02:50 PM
make sure u get lots of foto's!!

blueraven
21st February 2006, 03:12 PM
didnt win guys...oh well, still got the camera, a ferrari olympus ltd edition digital 2004...supposedly worth $1000...we will see what ebay has to say about it!!! :D

yeah, the guy that won we all knew he would as soon as he turned up..in a golf gti that had been chipped/exhaust/semi slicks. he had also been out to the same track before for motorsports events, so no doubt he was the best driver anyway. None of us got to drive the golf gti they had for the rally, though it was completely std we were told, better tyres were the only improvement, so it was a great deal slower than the guy who won's car!!

oh well, i didnt think i would impress anyone in the accent anyway, i did my best, but i doubt was on par with the guy who won anyhow :)

InsaneAsylum
21st February 2006, 03:18 PM
did you let his tyres down afterwards? :)

oneightoo
21st February 2006, 06:19 PM
unlucky raven.. unlucky..

had you still had ya cali you know you'd be adjusting mirrors and moving seats in a gti right now :D

blueraven
21st February 2006, 07:00 PM
unlucky raven.. unlucky..

had you still had ya cali you know you'd be adjusting mirrors and moving seats in a gti right now :D

thats so possible its actually a little upsetting..

but on the plus side, the camera should fetch me a pretty penny on ebay so i have found out :D

Dee
21st February 2006, 07:02 PM
that is a shame, at least you got out there and had a go tho... damn hyundai's

nd308
22nd February 2006, 10:16 AM
if i had the money i would buy that camera. but it's only 3.2 mp. it is red and has ferrari all over it. I think the box is worth more to be honest. Ferrari know how to package things up.