PDA

View Full Version : 1 question - need an answer asap!!

Clint
10th February 2006, 03:52 PM
any help would be great. i bought some angel eye headlights... im installing them now and am wondering how legal they are.

they have no parker bulb, but the parkers are 3 white or slightly blue leds and angel eye rings around the headlights.

is this legal and if not are just the leds legal or the angel eyte rings.. there is individual wires running to each led and ring so i can wire up any i want. but i do need to have parkers so i will need something connected.

there is some pics attached. any help asap will be great as im in the middle of installing them now

thanks!!

btm
10th February 2006, 04:00 PM
not sure if they're legal or not - but they look good :)

Clint
10th February 2006, 04:02 PM
lol thanks for the quick reply, just got back to the car now and already got a reply.. got the laptop sitting on the side of the engine lol, technoloogy these days... i can be on opelaus while working on my car:)

btm
10th February 2006, 05:09 PM
can you check the RTA's website (or what ever you guys call it up there...)??

Clint
10th February 2006, 05:13 PM
ahh probably can. ill have a look after i finish and go inside im almost finished now. gotta get done soon getting dark now

btm
10th February 2006, 05:27 PM
i just found this clint....

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=27838

btm
10th February 2006, 05:30 PM
or here

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/str_adrindx.aspx

hope this helps :)

btm
10th February 2006, 05:38 PM
ADR 13 - Installation of Lighting and Light-signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles

The function of this national standard is to ensure that the installation of the lighting and light-signalling devices on the vehicle is such that the effective operation of these devices is not impaired.

ADR 45 - Lighting & Light-signalling Devices not covered by ECE Regulations

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify the photometric requirements for lighting and light-signalling devices which will ensure adequate illumination for the driver of the vehicle and signal to other road users the position, orientation, intention and movement of the vehicle, without producing undue glare for other road users.

ADR 46 - Headlamps

The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify the photometric requirements for headlamps which will provide adequate illumination for the driver of the vehicle without producing undue glare for other road users.

ADR 50 - Front Fog Lamps

The intention of this Australian Design Rule is to specify the photometric requirements for front fog lamps which will provide adequate illumination for the driver of the vehicle without producing undue glare for other road users.

ADR 51 - Filament Globes

The function of this national standard is to specify the dimensional and photometric requirements for filament globes which ensure interchangeability and correct functioning when installed in a lamp.

PaulyJ
10th February 2006, 06:43 PM
cant help you, sorry
BUT THEY LOOK HOT!!!

astraman
11th February 2006, 08:38 AM
Don't know if this is right but if you look at a BMW 5 series with its angel eyes they don't appear to have parking lights as these are replaced with the angel eyes.

Interested to see how you go fitting them and would appreciate if you could tell us where and how much.

Clint
12th February 2006, 05:08 PM
fitting them.. takes about an hour or so the first time... i say first time cause i put them on but took them out straight when i finished. just as i finished dad got home and said oh yea as i was leaving (he left just as i was starting to install them) i forgot to tell u they wont be legal to use on australian roads and i was going to call u but i forgot. the reason is the way the low beam is, on LHD cars the low beam is horizontal to the left and then angles up to the right, so on australian roads this is backwards, the light will be angled up into the oncoming drivers eyes. sooo to install the stock headlights was a 15 min job 2nd time.

so we took them apart, they are just sealed with some very strong glue and a few clips, took the lense on the low beam off, unscrewed the plate which reduces the light on one side and flipped it over. at that time on friday i went out and just got home now. dad has glued them all back together and they are ready to go back in :):) i was thinking he was going to leave it til i get home to put them back together cause the old glue was really stuck on well and would have been very hard to get off but he must have done it today or last nite:) very excited now lol ill be going out soon to put them in.

those ones were the cheapest ones ive seen on ebay, all up i think. all up including the lights, postage and $20 international money transfer fee it was $400. then a bit of work to change the low beam around and $20 for some glue, forget the name of the stuff i got, started with S. but i am very happy with them.

ill get some pics when they're in, maybe tonight if i get time.

and about the angel eyes and leds, they are more of a very light blue/purple/kinda white. im not sure how that will go if a cop is in a bad mood. until i know 100% definate it is legal i think i will replace 1 led on each side with a pure white led, and have only it wired to the parkers, and put the rest of the leds and angel eyes on a seperate switch.

Clint
12th February 2006, 05:11 PM
that adr page doesnt say too much, basically on each rule it says the of this rule is to make blah suit blah regulation. but doesnt state the regulatiuon or what is says u can and cant do.

also saw this...

ADR 24 - Tyre & Rim Selection
The function of this Australian Design Rule is to specify requirements for tyres and 'Rims' appropriate to vehicle load capacity, 'Rim' size and speed characteristics.

This rule will cease to have effect from 1 January 2005.

does that mean after 1 janurary 2005 there is no rule saying u cant have rims 2" larger than stock size or whatever it is? but then again even if u could have bigger rims by law insurance probably wouldnt allow it