PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Astra's to a Computer

DirtyHarry
9th February 2006, 06:14 PM
hi Guys,

if any of you are interested here is some info about connecting your astra to a pc.

1. If you have a Astra TS/G than you should be ok with buying the ELM323 interface on ebay which uses the ISO protocol. I bought a USB ELM323 interface and works great.

2. If you have a Astra AH then youll need an interface that does the CAN protocol. The ELM327 interface should be fine with that. (bit more dearer than a elm323)

3. You need the software. There is plenty of free stuff out there, one good one is the scantool.net one. However there is one like pcmscan which is very good, but you have to purchase it.

So there combine the hardware and software and connect it to your obd plug underneath your handbrake and then you can read all your ecu faults, reset them and also read the other different sensors (like rpm, oxygen etc.).

Please keep in mind, that you wont be able to read all the sensors in the car, as a few of them can only be read with the Tech 2 tool. (Opels discretion)

stevedee3
9th February 2006, 08:25 PM
Can anyone report whether they have successfully used an ELM327 on an Astra H or Vectra C?

Thanks.

bill142
9th February 2006, 08:42 PM
It would be good if you could get software which emulated the tech2 for your pc. I found some software which apprarently did this however it contained a virus and i never installed it.

DirtyHarry
9th February 2006, 09:18 PM
yeah i think it would be very hard to find something like the tech 2 stuff.

Poogene2001
9th February 2006, 09:50 PM
What actual use is there to using any of these?
I'm sure the info would be interesting, but other than that, where is the value in buying such a device?

stevedee3
9th February 2006, 10:21 PM
What actual use is there to using any of these?
I'm sure the info would be interesting, but other than that, where is the value in buying such a device?Probably not, except maybe being able to reset fault codes. I'm still curious though...

bill142
11th February 2006, 12:26 PM
Without Tech2 like software the only real benefit would be to extract performance data out of the car. The data could be useful for moding for extra performance or economy.

DirtyHarry
12th February 2006, 07:35 PM
for $100 its useful. you can use it to see if you gain any benefit while changing parts on the car. ie filter, or vectra intake.
also resetting engine fault codes. etc.

bill142
16th February 2006, 02:16 PM
Fault codes eh? would this mean you could reset it if the rev limited has been hit??

DirtyHarry
16th February 2006, 05:53 PM
yep. get rid of fault codes.

woody
17th February 2006, 05:12 PM
Fault codes eh? would this mean you could reset it if the rev limited has been hit??

whaddya mean IF the limiter has been hit.... :p

sri03
18th February 2006, 11:19 PM
So there combine the hardware and software and connect it to your obd plug underneath your handbrake

DirtyHarry, do u mean just remove the plastic surrounding cover for the handbrake (like you would to tighten it) and the OBD plug is under there somewhere ?

DirtyHarry
19th February 2006, 01:24 AM
im not sure about the AH model, but it would should be in the same place as the G model like mine. Its just underneath the tip of the handbrake. where the button is to press and release the handbrake.

sri03
21st February 2006, 09:50 AM
ok thanks. It's an Astra-G..

In regards to buying the interface from ebay, one German guy seems not to be contacable and the others dont ship to Aus. Did u originally buy from a German seller ?

cheers.

DirtyHarry
21st February 2006, 05:23 PM
nah i bought it from the usa. any one who sells a elm323 (for astra g) interface should work. if you have a astra ah then you need elm327

jefalijas
8th March 2007, 11:03 PM
I am looking at getting autolock enabled on my SRi Turbo. Holden have told me that it is not possible via Tech2. I have read that it is possible to do it using ScanTool. Can anyone confirm this.

woody
9th March 2007, 10:43 AM
I am looking at getting autolock enabled on my SRi Turbo. Holden have told me that it is not possible via Tech2. I have read that it is possible to do it using ScanTool. Can anyone confirm this.

PM Clint - i think he was working on something like this.

DirtyHarry
9th March 2007, 11:48 AM
is it an astra g? if it is. i dont think that feature is possible as it not in the system. i think on the AH astra's it is.

jefalijas
9th March 2007, 11:55 AM
I have a Astra SRi Turbo AH, just picked it up 3 days ago.

Wraith
9th March 2007, 01:34 PM
I think Wayne could shed some light on this topic - maybe :rolleyes:

I'm interested, if it does what you guys say, for the price it's a good buy....

DirtyHarry
9th March 2007, 06:07 PM
i think the AH allows automatic door locking to be setup via the tech2.
you might be able to do yourself. read the manual

jefalijas
9th March 2007, 06:18 PM
The manual says to hold down the Door Lock button for 3 secs, doesn't work for me.

DirtyHarry
10th March 2007, 02:17 PM
have a read of this

To activate and deactivate this function, press and hold the central locking button m on
the centre console for at least three seconds.
The doors will automatically relock five minutes after unlocking with the remote control
unless a door or the luggage compartment has been opened.
NOTE: If the driver's door is not closed properly, the central locking system will not lock.
NOTE: To lock the doors from within the vehicle, press the central locking button m on
the centre console.
NOTE: If the central locking system is locked, the doors can be also unlocked by pulling
the interior handle. This unlocks the central locking system.
NOTE: In the event of an accident of a certain severity, locked doors unlock automatically
(to allow help to gain entry from outside) and the hazard warning lights are activated
provided that the ignition key is inserted in the ignition switch.

DirtyHarry
10th March 2007, 02:20 PM
you might need to have the engine running for this to work as well

DirtyHarry
10th March 2007, 02:28 PM
this is straight from the TIS
Special electrical/electronic features

Vehicle personalisation

In the Astra-H, various electrical functions can be programmed to customer requirements.

The following functions can be changed by the dealer using Tech 2, at the request of the customer

Turn signal (flashes once, twice or 3 times after touching the switch)
"Follow me home" facility (the lighting can be set to come on for between 0 and 255 seconds, dipped beam dimming can be switched on or off)
Warning signal output (volume can be adjusted)
Illumination provided by number plate light when tailgate open (function can be switched on or off)
The following function can be changed by the customers themselves

Central locking (once a certain vehicle speed is reached, all doors are locked automatically, this function can be switched on or off by pressing the lock or unlock button of the central locking facility for longer than 3 seconds)

jefalijas
10th March 2007, 05:05 PM
I have followed these instructions and it does not work, others have also reported this too. My initial question was, would this be possible to do using ScanTool.

DirtyHarry
11th March 2007, 08:32 AM
nah not possiible to do via scan tool. but there should be something in the tech2 that would enable and disable this option from being enabled/disabled by the car user.
i bet you the car dealer when you told you before didnt have a clue about it.

jefalijas
11th March 2007, 12:06 PM
The dealer had no idea !!!

I told them it was enabled in Tech2, they said they had not done it before and didn't know how to do it.

DirtyHarry
11th March 2007, 06:08 PM
it is however possible to do it via a fully optioned scan tool/diagnostic ones
like opelscan.com/www.opel-scanner.com
however for something like that your looking at paying $500-600

im still contenplating buying one as it does everything that the tech2 does.