PDA

View Full Version : thinking ute/one tonner

pred8r
9th February 2006, 11:16 AM
With a choice between Commodore Ute or One tonner and the Falcon unit (which can be either). Id be considering XR6, XR6T, XR8, S and SS because base models suck and either a V8 or forcefed 6, Which would you choose and why? Are any of these available as a 3 seater?

btm
9th February 2006, 11:45 AM
I think you can still get the ford with a bench seat in the front...

btm
9th February 2006, 11:46 AM
and as much as i'm a holden fan... i hate to say it... but the XR6 and 8 utes look friggin HOT!

Mr T
9th February 2006, 11:56 AM
Tonners can have a bench seat...

XR8 - why when the XR6T is better and Holden V8 kills it
XR6T - yeah is ok, I'd have to swallow a lot of pride before I bought one but
S with V8 - do they still make them? bit ordinary but
Tonner - hhmmm, only if you wanted to carry stuff, live axle is not my scene, even for a work horse...!!!
SS - got all the goods, 260KW, IRS, looks etc (my pick)

Ford - Live axle, leaf springs, 200KG heavier
Holden - IRS, Power rated in DIN not EXE so figure means more. uses less fuel.

I'm a bit biased ay...:D

01CDsedan
9th February 2006, 12:10 PM
The Holden One Tonner has been canned, so if you want one, you'll need to buy pretty soon before they're all gone.

Out of those, I'd take the SS ute but all of the Holden utes have excellent resale.

oneightoo
9th February 2006, 12:37 PM
i'd go ss but the ba xr6-t looks mint.. but wasnt there some problems with xr6-t?? something about a recall??

btm
9th February 2006, 12:58 PM
if i had to buy one then the SS would def be my choice

pred8r
9th February 2006, 03:13 PM
Whichever i chose it wouldnt be new, just newish shaped 2000-on, VU and AU onwards, so that covers the HOT looking ones :D

Which has more mods available? Gen3 I assume

Is the excessive oil consumption still warrantable on out of warranty commys as its a manufacturing/design fault or a case of bad luck and how would you tell?

beep beep sri
9th February 2006, 03:48 PM
no way id buy an older gen3. you would have to try real hard to get warrenty especialy if your the second owner id say they would tell you to *iss off. i like the xr6 either turbo or not. my mate has a stock xr6ba 5 speed and must say it goes well but if you want to mod it go the turbo. also the ss uts are just like a#sholes every ones got one

Wattie
9th February 2006, 05:03 PM
dont egt a live axle!!! your going back 40 years in suspension technology!!

beep beep sri
9th February 2006, 05:08 PM
yes but irs is not suited to loads it wears the inside of the tyres like crazy

rjastra
9th February 2006, 06:36 PM
A tip.. the load carrying capcity of the XR6/8 is not better than a S/SS Commodore ute

Go to discountnewcars.com.au. I saw a Commodore S ute on there cheap (28K +ORC). V6 should have plenty of squirt and low insurance.

I bought my Polo Gti through them and the deal i got was $1000 better than any other.

HDTDude
9th February 2006, 06:38 PM
yes as already said the 1 tonners are not made anymore my dad just bought one so there still are a few left not many tho... but for sure go the ss ute clearly best of the bunch

Mr T
10th February 2006, 10:11 AM
Which has more mods available? Gen3 I assume

Is the excessive oil consumption still warrantable on out of warranty commys as its a manufacturing/design fault or a case of bad luck and how would you tell?

I would think that the GEN III has the best options for mods, BUT, and a big BUT...I dont think that the XR6-T is far behind

The oil consuption thing has now been fixed, so all new V8's coming form Holden will be ok. The problem was that the pistons didn't fit the cylinders well enough and so then caused piston slap wearing away at the side walls. Eventually allowing oil to pass into the combustion chamber. you may be lucky enough to get one that has had a re-build in which case it would be ok.

I would steer clear of any GEN III sold in a VT, WH I and II, VX I and VU. VX II, WH III and on are OK. As there was no VU II, I cannot give you an acurate point of when the problem was fixed, but it was fixed at some point in the VU life. Definately the 2002 built VU's would be OK.

Wattie
10th February 2006, 12:12 PM
if your carrying loads on your irs, get a camberkit., all fixed..

Mr T
10th February 2006, 03:49 PM
I think the size and rating of the tyre wall has more to do the weight carrying abilities than the IRS V's Leaf spring argument in this case. In saying that, I do respect that leaf springs can carry more than Coils.

Base model Commo utes can carry 750KG while SS's can only carry about 400KG and Maloo's about 300KG.

So the XR range with 17' and 18's would be in the same boat...

...If you want to carry a Tonne, you'll be needing at least 75 series with 8 Ply walls.

HDTDude
10th February 2006, 04:37 PM
just for the record the vu had a series 2 lol

Mr T
10th February 2006, 04:45 PM
Seeing as though utes dont get the control link and VU started production mid VX I with the revised steering bushes, what would have been changed from the 5 month old VU to create a VU II?

InSaNe^Sna1L
10th February 2006, 05:50 PM
get the FPV Typhoon....its the xr6-t highly modified. Bigger turbo, brakes etc.

and they look awesome compared to the holdens

btm
10th February 2006, 05:54 PM

they may look good but i hate the name of it.... typhoon....

maloo sounds heaps better :D

KID_SRi
10th February 2006, 06:19 PM

The Ute/Tray are called F6 Tornedo.
My Dad has one as a Company Car with a tray,1 tonne Option, 19 " Wheel Option. It will still rip a VZ SS Ute, Even with a Excavator Bucket on the Back.
Nearly 750nm Torque, Makes mince meat of off the Line Gen III

beep beep sri
12th February 2006, 05:43 PM
1 tone option i do not think so. your dad would have to have had the 1 tone stuff done after he got the car as theres no way it would be optioned on that sort of ute. i think if someone lookes into this the max load would be something like 600kg on a ute like that.

Wattie
12th February 2006, 06:15 PM
if your talking Utes, (not tonners with trays)
the commo is the best looking ute in the world...
if holden utes didnt exist, the yeah fords are s%$t hot!
but the Holden without its hooks for the tarp, and no gay holes in the side where the hooks used to be, and also being one piece all the way down the side, is sooo much sexier!!

KID_SRi
12th February 2006, 06:18 PM
1 tone option i do not think so. your dad would have to have had the 1 tone stuff done after he got the car as theres no way it would be optioned on that sort of ute. i think if someone lookes into this the max load would be something like 600kg on a ute like that.

His Company might have had the Springs Changed.
Factory Spec on a BAII XR Series is around 750kgs, FPV Pursuit and Tornedo are the Same Rating. But as thye FPV is Higher performance in the Handling Dept. It does sag the Bum as much with same weight.
We have a FPV Boss 290 Pursuit @ my Work, It will take a Tonne. Just doenst wanna take corners.

pred8r
12th February 2006, 10:32 PM
yes as already said the 1 tonners are not made anymore my dad just bought one so there still are a few left not many tho... but for sure go the ss ute clearly best of the bunch

Just incase anyone else is interested, Alan Mance Footscray has a few left for $22kish +ORC (no tray)

Mr T
13th February 2006, 09:33 AM
Careful how you spell TON or TONNE...1 Ton (Metric) = 1000KG, 1 Tonne (Imperial) = circa 1400KG

There is no way in hell an FPV would be carrying 1 Tonne.

Also there is no way in hell a ute/cab-chassis with 19" wheels is carrying more than 500KG legally.

beep beep sri
13th February 2006, 04:06 PM
thanks MR T. dare i offend some people but some people need to wake up and stop dreaming

pred8r
13th February 2006, 10:19 PM
IIRC their carrying capacity is directly related to weight capacity of the rim. The utes had usually smaller diameter rims than the equivalent sedan model i.e. SS.
The steel rims are also different and have a higher load rating for the ute than the other models.