View Full Version : *screams* Astra Diesel At Motorshow! *screams*

Red AH SRI T
9th February 2006, 09:29 AM
http://us.tnpv.net//2006/GMC200602/GMC2006020857680_PV.jpg

http://us.tnpv.net//2006/GMC200602/GMC2006020857700_PV.jpg

now let me find some txt on it!

Red AH SRI T
9th February 2006, 09:33 AM
http://www.holden.com.au//images/popup/astraDiesel/img_hero.jpghttp://www.holden.com.au//images/popup/astraDiesel/img_gears.jpghttp://www.holden.com.au//images/popup/astraDiesel/img_volume.jpghttp://www.holden.com.au//images/popup/astraDiesel/img_engine.jpg

Arriving soon, the new Astra Diesel exemplifies all that Astra is already synonymous with – European styling, spirited performance and a broad range of standard safety features. Complemented by Astra’s superb ride and handling, the 1.9L Common Rail Turbo diesel engine offers effortless performance while returning outstanding fuel economy. Soon to be introduced in the 5 Door Hatch in both a six speed auto and six speed manual transmission, the Astra Diesel is the perfect addition to the much acclaimed Astra line-up and is sure to impress any small car buyer.

Specific feature highlights:
1.9L Common Rail Turbo diesel engine
6 Speed manual transmission
6 Speed automatic transmission (opt)
Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
Front, front side & curtain airbags

btm
9th February 2006, 09:45 AM
6 speed auto....

Red AH SRI T
9th February 2006, 09:48 AM
yeah, that sounds very tempting!

It looks as though it will only be released in CDXi spec level though

EL BURITO
9th February 2006, 09:50 AM
DAM i want a coup

Gildo
9th February 2006, 10:52 AM
mmmmm........the poor mans Golf Diesel.... lol looks good!

Mr T
9th February 2006, 11:17 AM
As a former Diesel owner (Hilux and Rodeo) I can say that Diesels are awesome to drive, they have plenty of torque off idle and provide smooth acceleration all the way up to 4000rpm :cool:

I'm interested...tell me more....!!!!

Unfortunately the utes I had were neither common rail or turbo...:( ...but the 2.3L Rodeo was still good for 54KW with 180NM @ 1600rpm...but the little bugger would haul 1400KG of tools, scaffolding, materials and a blue cattle dog and drink just under 10L/100KM

pred8r
9th February 2006, 11:17 AM
Oooh turbo diesel? does that mean performance parts?

Mr T
9th February 2006, 11:31 AM
Got some figures...

89KW @ 3500rpm
280NM @ 2000-2750rpm
9.8 0-60mph
162 G/KM (CO2)
8.1L/100KM (city cycle)

More torque than Astra T, but runs out a tad earlier...should be able to hold it out until about 30KM/H..hehe

entice
9th February 2006, 11:49 AM
pricing is from what I have heard to be premium above the Petrol alternatives, hence the logic in setting it above teh CDXi.. smart buggers in adding a 6 spd as a selling point

01CDsedan
9th February 2006, 12:12 PM
Pity there won't be a wagon version of it...some of us just won't buy hatchbacks :)

rjastra
9th February 2006, 04:51 PM
There are two versions

88kw/280Nm 6 speed auto
110kw/330Nm (yes!!) 6 speed manual

oneightoo
9th February 2006, 05:11 PM
are they both the same engines?? 20kw difference between auto and manual??

BassyAstra
9th February 2006, 05:12 PM
Ive seen those new wheels on the H's at Suttons Holden Homebush on Parra Rd.

Them and another set which are heaps chunky, neither are really good.

oneightoo
9th February 2006, 05:15 PM
the wheels look like the old sri ones..

Red AH SRI T
9th February 2006, 06:28 PM
hmm, i've only read that the engine makes 110kW

wow, such a big difference between auto and manual!

Red AH SRI T
9th February 2006, 06:32 PM
Back in the realms of production cars, the new Astra turbodiesels feature a 1.9-litre common rail four-cylinder mated to a six-speed manual gearbox as standard and rated at 110kW and 320Nm. An optional six-speed automatic will also be available. In this guise, the engine is rated at 88kW/280Nm..

"We think this will be a certain winner for Holden because it ticks all the boxes: performance, economy, environment and style," said Mooney.

"The diesel market is growing as drivers are becoming increasingly aware of the economical and environmental benefits," he said.

Holden says both Astra turbodiesel variants will be available later in 2006. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.

And they're not the only turbo set to join the Astra range in 2006 either -- chief Mooney said a turbo petrol Astra SRi would debut before year's end -- priced well under the HSV-aimed VXR we assume.

rjastra
9th February 2006, 11:42 PM
And they're not the only turbo set to join the Astra range in 2006 either -- chief Mooney said a turbo petrol Astra SRi would debut before year's end -- priced well under the HSV-aimed VXR we assume.

Well considering the Ford Xr5 will be $35990 how much do you think a Astra Sri can be sold for? For that matter how much can they realistically charge for the VXR!

CJB
9th February 2006, 11:55 PM
Not a fan of Diesel cars. We used to have a Turbo Diesel LandCruiser *shudders*

The only good thing I can say, is they go on, and on, and on, and on, and on :p

so I guess it's a woo hoo for Holden alright. But this won't be like in the late 70's how they converted the Gemini's to Diesel because of the petrol crisis then?

a 6 speed auto :eek: Impressed!!!! :)

oneightoo
10th February 2006, 01:48 AM
ya landcruiser will be a slightly different ride to the astra diesel :)

btm
10th February 2006, 09:14 AM
the wheels look like the old sri ones..
they do look very similar, but the old SRi wheels are only 6 spoke i think??

btm
10th February 2006, 09:16 AM
Not a fan of Diesel cars. We used to have a Turbo Diesel LandCruiser *shudders*
what....!?! turbo diesel landcruisers are the bomb :)

Mr T
10th February 2006, 09:47 AM
a 1.9-litre common rail four-cylinder mated to a six-speed manual gearbox as standard and rated at 110kW and 320Nm.

O man I am interested...that would have some quick acceleration.

btm
10th February 2006, 09:57 AM
O man I am interested...that would have some quick acceleration.
4 doors, quick, cheap, efficient, plenty of room for a baby seat and still an opel....

i think you're sold already Glenn :D

Mr T
10th February 2006, 10:27 AM
4 doors, quick, cheap, efficient, plenty of room for a baby seat and still an opel....

i think you're sold already Glenn :D

I think your on to me...;)

Maybe soon to be called Mr D...hehe

CJB
10th February 2006, 11:31 AM
what....!?! turbo diesel landcruisers are the bomb :)
ha ha yeah but they are really... not smooth. Great for off road - but it hardly ever got used for that.

I know the ride in an Astra would be different to a 4wd - used to cruise around the paddock in a 4 cyl diesel dato - it was ok ride wise.

oneightoo
10th February 2006, 11:38 AM
used to cruise around the paddock in a 4 cyl diesel dato - it was ok ride wise.
lol cruise around in a paddock.. which reminds me, did i ever email you the short video of me cruising around a paddock in the ford meteor?

CJB
10th February 2006, 11:43 AM
lol cruise around in a paddock.. which reminds me, did i ever email you the short video of me cruising around a paddock in the ford meteor?
Hmm... I think so... I can't remember. You send me so much :p

Maybe send it again anyways?

Our turbo diesel fell off Mt Carmel - so Dad was able to take the Turbo off the wagon and put it on his Diesel LandCruiser Ute... :eek:

Red AH SRI T
10th February 2006, 01:24 PM
I think your on to me...;)

Maybe soon to be called Mr D...hehe

or should that be Mr CDTi??? LMAO!

(CDTi is what the diesel astra will be called)

CJB
10th February 2006, 01:27 PM
Ok I am going to ask some dumb questions now on the Diesel option...

1) Why are they doing Diesel - Diesel in QLD as of late is dearer then petrol
2) Isn't Diesel just known as 'reject fuel'? I know it's not...but my question kinda is why are they doing it in diesel?

Red AH SRI T
10th February 2006, 01:32 PM
because diesel engines produce a hell of a lot more torque than petrol engines, making them more flexible, and they also have far better fuel economy

oneightoo
10th February 2006, 01:32 PM
well you see how trucks blow so much black smoke from the diesel? well they decided that was too dirty and the diesel engines in cars have been refinded, and now they are cleaner and less emissions than petrol engines.. so cleaner for the environment and cheaper, in most parts of australia and the world..

Red AH SRI T
10th February 2006, 01:38 PM
i bet the diesel astra will get more than 1000km from a tank

and Wheels recently tested the CDTi SRi Coupe in the UK and said it was better than the petrol SRi Turbo

CJB
10th February 2006, 01:39 PM
ahhh, so Diesel is the way of the future?

I remember the cruiser would blow a puff of smoke out the back when it needed a service :p one time stood there in a white shirt... ha ha ha!

Ok - well I can't wait to see it, and hear it. :)

CJB
10th February 2006, 01:40 PM
1000km per tank :eek: for real???

Now I am really interested. No wonder Holden are excited about it!

01CDsedan
10th February 2006, 02:13 PM
Diesel sales are through the roof at the moment - something like 30% of all Golf sales are of the diesel version. It's a reaction to high fuel prices, as diesels have excellent economy.

The downside of them is their limited rev range, and the fact that even modern ones seem to blow black smoke here and there.

Red AH SRI T
10th February 2006, 02:29 PM
diesels usually only blow black smoke under very very hard accelaration or if they are not serviced regularly.

And i think the figure for golf is closer to 50%

Mr T
10th February 2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah I think it is closer to 50%...heard something on the radio the other day about it.

Diesel is the fuel of choice for economy because diesel holds more energy than petrol (maybe an engineer on here can help with the varying KJ ratings) They produce more power than a petrol can at the same rpm.

Down side though is that with 20:1 (on average) compression ratio they dont like to rev much...4500rpm would be a common red line and therfore miss out on a bucket load of performance potential.

CJB
10th February 2006, 04:06 PM
Down side though is that with 20:1 (on average) compression ratio they dont like to rev much...4500rpm would be a common red line and therfore miss out on a bucket load of performance potential.
So is this why Turbo Diesel is preferred over just a Diesel engine?

Mr T
10th February 2006, 04:11 PM
N/A Diesels are rather boring and somewhat frustrating on highways...the Turbo just brings performance up to N/A Petrol standards.

180HOA
10th February 2006, 06:50 PM
Is there going to be some sort of update to the petrol Astra's? The 'old' 1.8 and 4 speed auto is pretty agricultural sounding against the new diesels... There's not a chance I'd buy the N/A petrol against the turbo diesel. My folks have a 2.0 TDI Golf... The Golf hesitates a bit from take-off, but once it's on the move I doubt my SRiT would get far away from it. And my sister was disgusted that a diesel with an automatic transmission can leave her MX-5 behind at the lights... Plus, I believe the Astra 1.9 TDI has even more grunt than the VW 2.0 TDI...

entice
11th February 2006, 06:59 AM
ahh yes.. now we all swing towards the diesel and think it a nice option.

Indeed, it is a nice option, but for the ones of us out there that occasionally take their cars out of the stop start mantics of the city, and into the twisty bits of, say, the GOR, the diesel just wont seem to cut the mustard.

Get a diesel, even a TD onto the twisty bits, and you'll soon understand it's limitations....

why do u all think it;ll come with a 6 spd?

astra_city
11th February 2006, 12:32 PM

It says so on the Holden website...

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid=26

entice
11th February 2006, 01:51 PM
...ummm.. that was a sarcastic comment....

astra_city
11th February 2006, 05:13 PM
oh :P
i hadn't read this thread...just read the last page and saw your comment. (and hard to tell sarcasm on the internet).

ultim8DTM5
11th February 2006, 07:50 PM
The only thing holding back diesel's popularity in australia in the last decade was the high sulphur content. In the last 3 years, intensive lobbying has paid off with new, cleaner diesel standards being introduced.

The first vehicles to capitalise were the BMW X5 3.0d, and the MB ML270 which were released as soon as the new regulations were in place. Now we benefit, with a plethora of diesels available from VW, Peugeot and now Holden in passenger vehicles.

180HOA
11th February 2006, 08:53 PM
ahh yes.. now we all swing towards the diesel and think it a nice option.

Indeed, it is a nice option, but for the ones of us out there that occasionally take their cars out of the stop start mantics of the city, and into the twisty bits of, say, the GOR, the diesel just wont seem to cut the mustard.

Get a diesel, even a TD onto the twisty bits, and you'll soon understand it's limitations....

So what do you feel are the limitations? I know the power is delivered differently to say, a Honda petrol engine - but I'm not sure I'd call a difference a limitation.

Also, I'd say the Astra TDI will come with a 6 speed simply because its becoming the norm in European cars...

entice
12th February 2006, 08:33 AM
I'll try to be brief.

The primary reason why diesel's are becoming increasingly popular of late are fuel prices. Escalating fuel prices mean that we all look to alternate sources of fuel. Diesel has been around since the wheel has, and so it really isnt anything new. SUre, there have been increased levels of refinement in the fuel as well as the utilisation of the fuel (aka engines), but in essence, it's an old technology.

To think a diesel powered vehicle (DPV) and a petrol powered equivalent (PPV) are the same and have the same drive characteristics is false. Yes there is a vast difference, and no although it isnt a limitation of the diesel in itself, compared to teh petrol equivalent it is, to say, limited in its capabilities (in the eyes of the masses).
The mass public are use to the power delivery and characteristics of a N/A PPV. Once they hop into a DPV be it N/a or F/I they'll be fine so long as they're in suburbia, or along a country road. The mass public (read motoring oblivions) will love the acceleration from rest, and feel it to be a strong and powerful motor in town. However, give them a bit of twisty road, or give them a situation where they are conditioned to flat stick teh thing and rev it to 7K, and they'll get all confused and start to dislike the power delivery..or the limitation of teh rev range... they simply will not be educated as to how the car needs to be driven, as opposed to what they've been use to in the past. Then it's only a matter of time till it all escalates, and diesel power aint all that good anymore...and sure, the economy is great, but the service costs are huge, and well.. the economy aint as good as a Hybrid which by then is more mainstream/more easily sourced... (Civic is now a hybrid option too...(Melbourne motor show)..still looks Pox)
and why did we switch to diesel in teh first place???? Economy.

Don't get me wrong...diesel is great, so long as you understand how it needs to be driven. But I still feel that it's an interim solution, a band aid perhaps for the next 5 or so years.

The 6-spd is more cos of the narrow power band of the diesel..you have to work the gears more to get anywhere with it.

Red AH SRI T
12th February 2006, 08:36 AM
who cares what powers the damn thing, at least we will finally have more power in the astra!!!!

Mr T
13th February 2006, 09:54 AM
Entice:

I'm sure people will learn how to change gears...!!!

Red AH SRI T
13th February 2006, 08:13 PM
I checked our system at work today, and stock control has entered the first Allocation of Diesel Astra's.
4 in total, 3 Auto's and one Manual for the whole of our group of 4 dealerships

Also our allocation of the first lot of SRi Turbos

ONLY ONE!! ONE!!

ONE F.UCKING SRI TURBO FOR THE WHOLE GROUP?!

BassyAstra
15th February 2006, 06:11 AM
DIESEL ENGINE PIC:

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/2593/diesel8fv.jpg

BassyAstra
15th February 2006, 06:14 AM
The only thing holding back diesel's popularity in australia in the last decade was the high sulphur content. In the last 3 years, intensive lobbying has paid off with new, cleaner diesel standards being introduced.

The first vehicles to capitalise were the BMW X5 3.0d, and the MB ML270 which were released as soon as the new regulations were in place. Now we benefit, with a plethora of diesels available from VW, Peugeot and now Holden in passenger vehicles.

Good info:)

Red AH SRI T
15th February 2006, 07:44 AM
could you have posted a bigger pic?

BassyAstra
15th February 2006, 10:53 AM
could you have posted a bigger pic?

Yeah, i had to cut that one down.