PDA

View Full Version : Which classic car would you buy?

01CDsedan
7th February 2006, 07:18 PM
Might as well continue the trend with these sorts of polls, seeing as my replies to them are making me so many new friends :)

Which classic car would you buy?

For our purposes, let's define classic as being pre-1980 so there's no arguments about it.

I'd be looking for an old-school musclecar, something American from the late 60s/early 70s like a Pontiac GTO or an AMC Javelin. Maybe something local along the same lines - HQ Statesman maybe.

On the other hand, I've always liked the Holden EJ-EH wagons and utes - a fully restored one, or maybe even a retro-tech one with modern engine and driveline (Alloytec V6 or EFI V8, maybe) would be the go.

I'd love to restore an old car, but I just know that it will sit around for years and I'll get p'd off with it very quickly.

InSaNe^Sna1L
7th February 2006, 07:22 PM
MGB GT V8 Roadster
or a Aston Martin DB5

Mr T
7th February 2006, 07:40 PM
I'd be keen on either a HZ tonner...all the stuff you know 350 etc etc with a timber deck...

or a Sandman, but this sandman would have to look like something off Pim My Ride...velvet trim, satin sheet and pillow cases, HUGE DVD screen and massive sound system murals, chromies...ooohh yeah...oh and a 350 as well :D

pred8r
7th February 2006, 07:47 PM
just ONE!!! OMG ummm
Pick one from this list ANY would do;
GT40
69 RS Camaro convertible
69 Mach 1 Mustang
68 Chevrolet Impala 2door
73 XA Coupe :D
Torana LX A9X Coupe
E38 R/T Charger

For the Mrs;
Mark II Jaguar s type

bill142
7th February 2006, 08:17 PM
Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

PaulTheBall
7th February 2006, 08:21 PM
79 Trans Am - for that Smokey and the Bandit feel :)

CJB
7th February 2006, 08:26 PM
Charger!!!!! all the way!!!!

http://i1.tinypic.com/ncyu8k.jpg

My Uncle had a red one.... ooo0000ooo it was nice. My Dad had a yellow hardtop too!!! Nice cars!

beep beep sri
7th February 2006, 08:28 PM
hmm sandman original as you can get would be nice if you can find one. but if i ever got my chance an original lc GTR xu1 torana! id kill to have one in my shed. my first car was an lc GTR so an xu1 would just do it for me

GeeeAus
7th February 2006, 08:28 PM
NONE

Cars in this bracket are GENERALLY unsophisticated, poor handling and crudely engineered machines. Words like "Live rear axle", "Carburetor" and "Points" come to mind.

Shudder......

It won't be just you who makes new friends on this one...... I've a feeling my ABSOLUTE disgust at ALMOST anything from this era will Irk a few.

Now the 80s, there were a few, not many, but a few goodies in there.

GeeeAus

Wait, maybe a Lada Niva........ :-) Tisk Tisk

CJB
7th February 2006, 08:31 PM
NONE

Cars in this bracket are GENERALLY unsophisticated, poor handling and crudely engineered machines. Words like "Live rear axle", "Carburetor" and "Points" come to mind.

Shudder......

It won't be just you who makes new friends on this one...... I've a feeling my ABSOLUTE disgust at ALMOST anything from this era will Irk a few.

Now the 80s, there were a few, not many, but a few goodies in there.

GeeeAus

Wait, maybe a Lada Niva........ :-)

*screams*

wtf!!!!

*screams more*

the Lada was the biggest piece of _____ on the road!!!! :)

I love classic cars - especially ones from the 60's/70's - and I reckon they were built well.

GeeeAus
7th February 2006, 08:33 PM
*screams*

wtf!!!!

*screams more*

the Lada was the biggest piece of _____ on the road!!!! :)

I love classic cars - especially ones from the 60's/70's - and I reckon they were built well.

The Lada a piece of ****, NOOOO, you don't say....... :-)

CJB
7th February 2006, 08:34 PM
I was agreeing dude...

I'm freaking at your other comments! :eek: but, all taken aboard. :)

Red AH SRI T
7th February 2006, 08:46 PM
I'd have a Jag E Type

pred8r
7th February 2006, 08:57 PM

IIRC there was a Brock Lada

PaulyJ
7th February 2006, 09:11 PM
1956 Chevy Corvette
Morris Mini Cooper S

My brain is switched off after work, so i cant think of anymore at the moment, but there's more

Degen-Astra
7th February 2006, 09:11 PM
1955 Chevy Bel Air - 2 door wagon (as a hot rod now)
if it was to be original
Morris Mk2 Mini Cooper S

oneightoo
7th February 2006, 09:17 PM
i would go no further than a T-Bird or a mini cooper s..

or..

a Leyland P76 - just kidding, but hey, this wasnt that a bad car.. big engine, had room in the boot for a 44 gallon drum.. perfect for anyone from SA hehe joking guys :p

entice
8th February 2006, 07:54 AM
hrmmm...

1. Ferrari 250 GTO TDF (is there anything more "classic" and desireable than that?..and if you dont know the car, then u truely are not an afficionado)
2. Ferrari Dino GT (more affordable)
3. Porsche 356 Spyder, or if you can, a speedster

or maybe..just maybe I'll keep the 2 Fiat 124 CC Sports I have at the moment :)

btm
8th February 2006, 08:15 AM
maybe an old EJ holden ute or mustang convertible

or an old classic '79 porsche 911 turbo

Mrhopey
8th February 2006, 08:48 AM
I'd love to have a Lotus 7. Just imagine driving in an open ****pit, wind in the remaining hair, screaming engine, open wheeler with beautiful handling on a crisp spring morning on your favorite road.

Streetlights
8th February 2006, 11:20 AM
I'd get a GT40 :D

KID_SRi
8th February 2006, 05:31 PM
I already own a Desirable '70s Muscle car.
But if I was get another one, I'd be a Camaro SS 396.

InSaNe^Sna1L
8th February 2006, 06:45 PM
I'd love to have a Lotus 7. Just imagine driving in an open ****pit, wind in the remaining hair, screaming engine, open wheeler with beautiful handling on a crisp spring morning on your favorite road.

my dad wants a lotus elise....but since he can't afford or locate one he is settling with a Mazda Mx5 on which was based off the lotus

CJB
8th February 2006, 07:13 PM
maybe an old EJ holden ute or mustang convertible

or an old classic '79 porsche 911 turbo
I like your choices there Bryne....

just not really a Porsche fan... but the Mustang - nice, EJ - nice!!!!

ultim8DTM5
8th February 2006, 10:48 PM
If you want an attainable muscle car, get a 68 Camaro or a T-bird.

250 GTO will be just a little more than difficult to acquire, even if you have the funds.

Other than that, maybe look at a Karmann Ghia.

beep beep sri
9th February 2006, 04:05 PM
if you where to have a colectable car would you guys not want to drive them? Ferrari definatly not something that you can drive anywhere but yes its a collectable car. why not australian muscle cars they are going up in price as we speak.

Dee
9th February 2006, 04:14 PM
my dad wants a lotus elise....but since he can't afford or locate one he is settling with a Mazda Mx5 on which was based off the lotus
get him to buy a celica or corolla sportivo... has the same engine... slightly de-tuned tho...

entice
9th February 2006, 04:52 PM
if you where to have a colectable car would you guys not want to drive them? Ferrari definatly not something that you can drive anywhere but yes its a collectable car. why not australian muscle cars they are going up in price as we speak.

who said you cant drive a ferarri?

Last one I saw was on a track doing laps at Winton... (550 Maranello)
cars like that are MEANT to be driven

but a 250 GTO? well at 11 million pounds, I f you could have one of those, you could also afford a private airstrip....

I think that any owner of a collectible car thinks carefully about when and where they drive it..and hence the insurance companies are aware of that and the premiums are adjusted accordingly (my 124 has a $250 a year premium, and it's replacement value is close to teh $20K mark)

beep beep sri
9th February 2006, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=entice]who said you cant drive a ferarri?

Last one I saw was on a track doing laps at Winton... (550 Maranello)

yes on a track not in the real world. buy a hk bathurst monaro and you can drive it and drive it and drive it not worrying about every km that you clock up. ferarri's do not like having high km on them same as lombo's etc etc. give me a CLASSIC AUSTRALIAN MUSCLE CAR thats where its at. tune the thing yourself change the oil youself and no one questions it buy a ferarri and go to sell it and ill bet whoever is looking at it asks who serviced it

ultim8DTM5
9th February 2006, 10:24 PM
Yes, but one is a piece of **** Holden and the other is a several hundred thousand dollar car.

If you can afford the car, you can afford to have it serviced by the best.

Alfonzo
9th February 2006, 10:30 PM
1964 Ford Mustang coupe, please.

My mate used to have a '65, in frost white with a black leather interior, LHD. Daaamnnnn, it was nice to cruise in. Was funny when we took it for an idle through a housing estate - all the blokes out mowing their lawns around mid-life crisis age stopped and watched us slowly roll by, the 302 with twin straight out exhausts doing it's rumbling thing under the bonnet all the while...

Tricky Ricky
10th February 2006, 01:22 PM
Lotus Esprit V8
Audi Quattro turbo
TVR Tuscan Speed 6

Gildo
10th February 2006, 01:57 PM
Give me Elanore (gt500) anytime!

KID_SRi
10th February 2006, 06:31 PM
yes on a track not in the real world. buy a hk bathurst monaro and you can drive it and drive it and drive it not worrying about every km that you clock up. ferarri's do not like having high km on them same as lombo's etc etc. give me a CLASSIC AUSTRALIAN MUSCLE CAR thats where its at. tune the thing yourself change the oil youself and no one questions it buy a ferarri and go to sell it and ill bet whoever is looking at it asks who serviced it

I agree to disagree, I have a Genuine XY Falcon GTHO Phase III. I have owned it since my Grandfather gave it to me, It had 20,000 Miles on it. Now it has 21,350(or so) I have never touched it, All work is/was done By the Original Skunk Works GTHO Workshop. When ya sitting on 1 of Australias Most Collectable Cars, Ya can't Chance any thing. I did 4 Hot Laps @ Bathurst and Nearly wrote it off @ 140mph. Ya won't find any Genuine Bathurst Monaro or Falcon GT on a Track.
Replacement is impossible. Unless you make a Mock up.

entice
11th February 2006, 07:04 AM
I agree to disagree, I have a Genuine XY Falcon GTHO Phase III. I have owned it since my Grandfather gave it to me, It had 20,000 Miles on it. Now it has 21,350(or so) I have never touched it, All work is/was done By the Original Skunk Works GTHO Workshop. When ya sitting on 1 of Australias Most Collectable Cars, Ya can't Chance any thing. I did 4 Hot Laps @ Bathurst and Nearly wrote it off @ 140mph. Ya won't find any Genuine Bathurst Monaro or Falcon GT on a Track.
Replacement is impossible. Unless you make a Mock up.

That's indeed a pretty penny you're sitting on right there....

I would love to have say an A9X or even an Lc XU1 in my garage...heck, i'd even drool over the xy (and that's a huge admission given I'm not a fan of the blue oval).

There's a lot to be said about a classic car...and indeed, when you want to make a statement on the road, not much can be done over a classic...

Been driving my 124 daily for the past 7 weeks (I know, the lack of a/c in the summer is making me shed the pounds in sweat) and I definitely have been generating a hell of a lot more interest in that than I did in the STI.. and the interest is from respect and admiration..not hoons and w@nkers.

ultim8DTM5
11th February 2006, 05:07 PM
I'm growing deaf from my inner Pieralessandro whose screaming for me to buy a 124CC haha

Keggus
12th February 2006, 02:46 PM
1964 Porsche 911, just for the purity of the design at that stage (no whale tails, or rubber bumpers), and the relative affordabilty. Now if only I could find one.

MK
13th February 2006, 08:46 PM
this is my choice of a classic car...ok so most will say (and they have) there is no technical marvels or breathtaking achievements this car has... but to me its the feeling of the car. the history it has with it.

http://www.hotofoto.pl/images/marcinkozinski/syrena104.jpg

however to keep with the majority, i would definiately would like to own a mint example of 1969 Ford Mustang Coupe (Pony)

btm
14th February 2006, 10:10 AM
this is my choice of a classic car...ok so most will say (and they have) there is no technical marvels or breathtaking achievements this car has... but to me its the feeling of the car. the history it has with it.

http://www.hotofoto.pl/images/marcinkozinski/syrena104.jpg

however to keep with the majority, i would definiately would like to own a mint example of 1969 Ford Mustang Coupe (Pony)
link does not work for me :(

the suspense is killing me :p

sasrit
14th February 2006, 11:10 AM
affordable - 1973 Porsche 911T/S
a little less affordable - Porsche 930 Turbo
money no object for me - 1962 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso........gorgeous

MK
14th February 2006, 07:08 PM
Sorry btm...
heres couple of my all time favourites.. one made in Poland (long long time ago) and the second in the former East Germany...

entice
15th February 2006, 07:40 AM
Ahh yes.. the Trabant...

my fondest memories of the Trabant is when one ended up in Jeremy Clarkson's hands!

:)

btm
15th February 2006, 09:17 AM
I've got a problem with me Goggomobil....

G O G G O :D:D:D

:p

NUTTTR
15th February 2006, 11:21 PM
Has to be a Charger :)