PDA

View Full Version : Which crap car would you buy?

180HOA
4th February 2006, 11:06 AM
I'm just curious about what people think of the sub $20k small-medium cars out there... say you HAD to buy one of the following cars, which would it be? And I'm just talking about buying the car for what it is off the showroom floor - not about modification potential, etc.

Elantra
Lancer
Tiida (I'm assuming it'll be under $20k)
Viva

EL BURITO
4th February 2006, 11:17 AM
Lancer cos of the 5 year warranty

GeeeAus
4th February 2006, 12:59 PM
Simple it's 'J' platform Car, enough said.

oneightoo
4th February 2006, 02:39 PM
yeah would prolly go the lancer too..

Alfonzo
4th February 2006, 03:40 PM
As much as I hate it, out of those options I'd go the Lancer also. Not because it's the better car, but because Mitsubishi are backing their cars with a "I hope we can sell some cars now" warranty.

Although can I mention another small car? The Fiesta, perhaps? Or if we don't care about wheel covers and base level features, the Focus CL?

pred8r
4th February 2006, 05:55 PM
Tiida because Kim Catral is in the ad and if i didnt like it, its so new itd be easy(er) to sell again.

Off that list Id consider a honda jazz, only because when Mrd Pred was looking it was the one we didnt look at and resale/value would be higher to.

Bernard Siong
4th February 2006, 06:49 PM
i see the commercials that the civics are 20gz too now
i'd go for that

oneightoo
4th February 2006, 06:56 PM
what about the getz? they arent too bad to drive..

bill142
4th February 2006, 06:59 PM
What about Mazda 2's and lets throw in Kia's Daihatsu and Suzuki's for the fun of it

Red AH SRI T
4th February 2006, 07:25 PM
I'm just curious about what people think of the sub $20k small-medium cars out there... say you HAD to buy one of the following cars, which would it be? And I'm just talking about buying the car for what it is off the showroom floor - not about modification potential, etc.

Elantra
Lancer
Tiida (I'm assuming it'll be under $20k)
Viva

I'd go the Tiida, the elantra is just horrible $hit on wheels
The lancer is such a horrid thing to drive, lancers just aren't what they used to be
and i could never bring myself to own a Viva
So Tiida wins :D

180HOA
4th February 2006, 08:10 PM
What about Mazda 2's and lets throw in Kia's Daihatsu and Suzuki's for the fun of it

I know there's a ton of cars under $20k, but I was more asking about the small-medium group - i.e. bigger than, 2, yaris, swift, fiesta, etc (most of those are in a different class both in terms of size (smaller) and quality (better) to the Tiida/Viva/Elantra/Lancer).

pred8r
4th February 2006, 09:23 PM
I know there's a ton of cars under $20k, but I was more asking about the small-medium group - i.e. bigger than, 2, yaris, swift, fiesta, etc (most of those are in a different class both in terms of size (smaller) and quality (better) to the Tiida/Viva/Elantra/Lancer).
Quality Id question regardless of price (even bad cars can be expensive)
as to features Mrs Preds Getz is great, even compared to my SRi.

It has usable cup holders, a stereo that sh!ts all over the GM unit, the rear seats roll forward(not just fold flat). If it had more power and a more comfy set of front seats(instead of barstools) it would have won me. Oh and its HUGE inside. Or if you want bigger inside look at a colt.

One other point to consider, the little cars are SO much easier to park.

180HOA
4th February 2006, 09:49 PM
*sigh*

It was just meant to be a simple question...

KID_SRi
5th February 2006, 05:20 PM
Out of what ya Listed,
I'd take the Viva.
Then Put a Z20LET in it. But thats just me.

But if i was going to keep it stock as a Rock Buy.
Ford Fiesta Ghia.

CJB
5th February 2006, 05:43 PM
I'd go Lancer... but... I'd spend the extra money and get a VR-X ... a black one.

In fact, don't shoot me now... am considering whether or not I should get one.

*hides from Blackie* :D

pred8r
5th February 2006, 06:34 PM
*sigh*

It was just meant to be a simple question...
Easy, divide it into whether you want power or fuel economy, go from there.
(Thats what i did and one of the reasons i got what i did, Both=SRi unless you want NEW 'new' that is)

oneightoo
5th February 2006, 06:34 PM
import crispix, import!!

pred8r
5th February 2006, 08:44 PM
import crispix, import!!

Yeah, get a Sera or a xB Scion

CJB
5th February 2006, 08:49 PM
import crispix, import!!
No matchu, no :D

btm
6th February 2006, 09:55 AM
i'd probably go with the lancer also

Red AH SRI T
6th February 2006, 10:43 AM
why are u all choosing the lancer?

in yesterday paper they had a thing about the cars in this class

for lancer they wrote:

For: Power from new 2.4 engine
Against: Below average in every other respect

CJB
6th February 2006, 10:44 AM
I chose Lancer because out of them all it looks the best.

Red AH SRI T
6th February 2006, 10:49 AM
your taste is in your a$$ crispix

CJB
6th February 2006, 10:53 AM
your taste is in your a$$ crispix
That's what you think... :p

I like the Astra don't I? And anything and everything Opel put out.

Alfonzo
6th February 2006, 06:27 PM
why are u all choosing the lancer?

in yesterday paper they had a thing about the cars in this class

for lancer they wrote:

For: Power from new 2.4 engine
Against: Below average in every other respectI was moreso concerned over who's going to pay if something goes wrong. At least with this crap car it'll be covered for a longer period than any of the other crap cars :)

If you're buying one of these *just to get from A to B* then you're really not going to be focussing that hard on the nitty gritties. Whereas warranty will stand out more, because as I said - for just A to B, you won't want to be pulling your wallet out of your pocket when things do start to go a little screwy (which as I'm finding, seems to be around the 3-4 year period...)

GeeeAus
7th February 2006, 10:52 AM
I was moreso concerned over who's going to pay if something goes wrong. At least with this crap car it'll be covered for a longer period than any of the other crap cars :)

If you're buying one of these *just to get from A to B* then you're really not going to be focussing that hard on the nitty gritties. Whereas warranty will stand out more, because as I said - for just A to B, you won't want to be pulling your wallet out of your pocket when things do start to go a little screwy (which as I'm finding, seems to be around the 3-4 year period...)

Your warranty won't be worth the paper it’s printed on if Mitsubishi goes BANG! at the end of the year, and they will.

The five - ten warranty is actually more gimmick than truth, read the fine print, you'll see it’s just not all that crash hot. Why?

Because nobody with any business savvy, not even Mitsubishi would issue such a blank cheque for a car's drivetrain to last a decade. Most Aussie drivers will do the Kms first, a LONG TIME before the ten years elapses.

It’s just NOT THAT GREAT.

Furthermore it doesn't transfer to the new owner if you sell that car. It’s a gimmick to sell cars, nothing more.

If you are really concerned about warranty, you'd avoid the Lancer like the plague.

GeeeAus