PDA

View Full Version : Astra Sri or Clio Sport

steven.m
1st February 2006, 02:08 AM
Hello everyone im just wondering if any one can help me out with some opinions and facts on the astra sri and the renault clio sport.. Im looking around to buy one of them but i dont know whichis better. My mum personally drives the 04 sxi and it runs very well. Although for me now im looking to buy a new car so yea.
The main question is which one is a better buy. Apart from the fact that there are many astra fans but yea.. hehe

InsaneAsylum
1st February 2006, 08:19 AM
renault clio sport will win in a straight line and around corners. stock vs. stock

they are surprisingly quick little things

mr corsa
1st February 2006, 02:52 PM
buy a turbo barina sri quik in a straight lines and in corners :p

JohnBu
1st February 2006, 02:58 PM
Sri 2.2 isnt really a challenger to the clio sport..

Sri Turbo is more of a competitor..

i like the clio sport (about to buy one over the sri turbo).. but the build quality aint great...

insurance of the clio sport is higher than my astra turbo..

between the SRi 2.2 or Clio Sport, if you could live the smaller cabin, get the RSC for sure!

nadg63
1st February 2006, 04:06 PM
Along with the lesser build quality already mentioned Renaults tend to suffer depreciation alot quicker than the Astra which is something to bear in mind come re-sale time! (also when you drive a Clio the seat/pedals/steering wheel configuration is odd!)

Bernard Siong
1st February 2006, 05:49 PM
MAN CLIO IS THE BOMB! u should know! JAMIES GOT ONE!

GO THE CLIO
astra turbo has nothing on the clio

yes the clio looks stumpy but it adds to the sleepyness of the car!

180HOA
1st February 2006, 05:56 PM
John Bu is right - the SRi Turbo is a match for the Clio, the 2.2 isn't quite on the pace. The Astra and the Clio have quite a different feel/character to each other... If you haven't driven them both yet, do it - that should give you an idea which 'feels' best for you.

I also agree with John - go the Renault over the 2.2 Sri, but personally I'd have the SRi Turbo over the Renault.

Also, my advice is not to worry about depreciation - you kiss a hell of a lot of money goodbye by owning any car - you may as well get what you want.

Red AH SRI T
1st February 2006, 06:23 PM
if u want to drive around ina car that feels like a slightly bigger go kart, go for the RenaultSport Clio, I used to sell Renaults and the Clio is a fu.cking amazing car which constantly brings a smile too your face

If your looking at an SRi i would go for the Clio, however if your looking at an SRiT then it could be a closer call

But then again the Xenon's in the RSC do tip the scales in its favor!

blueraven
1st February 2006, 06:56 PM
ummm...

polo gti instead?

my vote would be for the clio over the sri, and probably the turbos, have read HEAPS about the clio in all the major car magazines, and stock vs stock, (sorry guys) it will still easily beat an astra turbo :(.

JohnBu
2nd February 2006, 09:32 AM
ummm...

polo gti instead?

my vote would be for the clio over the sri, and probably the turbos, have read HEAPS about the clio in all the major car magazines, and stock vs stock, (sorry guys) it will still easily beat an astra turbo :(.

i wouldnt say the RSC easily beat the astra turbo..

over a tight track the RSC would beat the astra, (also beat the XR6 turbo at winton also in Motor Mag BFYB!).. but straight line the astra beats it quite easily over 0-100km & 400m by over half a second.

normal day to day driving, the astra is heaps more powerful, much more torque and is easiler to drive.. my brother thought the RSC didnt have much power, then again the owner was in the beat seat and he didnt rev it to 7,000rpm.

over the twisties, i would say the RSC would win, because it handles better...

thats not to say the astra doesnt handle well.... just not as good as the RSC (few cars do).

build quality was a huge issue for me.. just the examples i saw, the interior plastics were coming off in some sections.... and most people agree the RSC isn't a very attractive car.. i dont mind it.

me, im happy that i choose the astra t over the clio sport... but then again i'll be happy with either car..

break
3rd February 2006, 12:57 AM
Well, the two cars differ quite a bit in price as well... the Astra is usually a few thousand more.

But it depends on what you want. If you want a really involved 'drivers car' with not much in the way of creature comforts, the Clio is your choice (its the car I would drive).

BUT, if you want the better all round car, that not only performs but is comfortable, well appointed, well designed, and has usable interior space... get the Astra.

Red AH SRI T
3rd February 2006, 09:05 AM
Well, the two cars differ quite a bit in price as well... the Astra is usually a few thousand more.

But it depends on what you want. If you want a really involved 'drivers car' with not much in the way of creature comforts, the Clio is your choice (its the car I would drive).

BUT, if you want the better all round car, that not only performs but is comfortable, well appointed, well designed, and has usable interior space... get the Astra.

you've obviously never looked at a RenaultSport Clio's equipment list, cause that thing is just jam packed full of goodies
4 Air Bags, leather/Alcantra Seats, Climate Control, 6 Stacker, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, XENON HEADLIGHTS.......need i go on?

PaulyJ
3rd February 2006, 10:16 AM
Tough call
Both are great cars, and now with the Polo GTi in the equation... hmmm even tougher.
Best thing for you to do is go and actually drive the cars yourself, and buy the one that is better suited to your needs and driving style.
Whichever one you end up getting, i know you'll have fun.

break
3rd February 2006, 10:57 AM
you've obviously never looked at a RenaultSport Clio's equipment list, cause that thing is just jam packed full of goodies
4 Air Bags, leather/Alcantra Seats, Climate Control, 6 Stacker, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, XENON HEADLIGHTS.......need i go on?Have you driven one for any period of time?

At the end of the day the Clio still feels cheap inside (the one I drove had leather and climate control), where as the Astra I drove never gave me that feeling.

That said... if you can afford these cars your not off the asking price of the new Polo GTi @ $26,990 (they can be bargained down to $28k on road if you try hard), which would be my ultimate car. I'm yet to drive one but i've heard nothing but praise for them.

Red AH SRI T
3rd February 2006, 11:09 AM
Have you driven one for any period of time?

At the end of the day the Clio still feels cheap inside (the one I drove had leather and climate control), where as the Astra I drove never gave me that feeling.

That said... if you can afford these cars your not off the asking price of the new Polo GTi @ $26,990 (they can be bargained down to $28k on road if you try hard), which would be my ultimate car. I'm yet to drive one but i've heard nothing but praise for them.

sure have, i used to sell Renault's and had one as a drive car, so i know what they are like :D

blueraven
3rd February 2006, 02:55 PM
asking price of the new Polo GTi @ $26,990 (they can be bargained down to $28k on road if you try hard

Oh no you cant... i bargained like crazy to the point of not wanting to sign witout free tinting or free floormats... the floormats they would give, but they sure as hell wouldnt budge on the price...why would you when there is a 3 month wait time? spend some time on the vwvortex forum..everyone is killing themselves trying to get deals and it just aint happenin.

like some people i know have said to try and get a 'deal' on a golf gti...erm...10 month wait people. if your used to dealing with holden/ford/hydai/mitsubishi who are really trying to sell their cars then sure, play ball.. but when demand is far outstripping supply, why would they care about trying to drop their price? i know some dealers have happily given deposits back when orders for golf gti's were cancelled for long waiting, because they knew it wouldnt spend an hour on the showroom floor.

hell the dealer i went to has sold 3 of his demos golf/polo gti's at FULL COST.
i was told that when i said "if you wont give me a better price on the new, what will you do a demo for?" his answer? "sorry, same price." this was after i cut through the sales rep who couldnt help me and was talking to the head honcho.

i havent signed yet...but next week i will be down there with my serious face, and hopefully i will get my tint, floormats and maybe even some airfresheners for free :D

PaulyJ
3rd February 2006, 03:02 PM
By the sounds of things, good luck getting the air-fresheners :D

break
3rd February 2006, 04:06 PM
Oh no you cant... i bargained like crazy to the point of not wanting to sign witout free tinting or free floormats... the floormats they would give, but they sure as hell wouldnt budge on the price...why would you when there is a 3 month wait time? spend some time on the vwvortex forum..everyone is killing themselves trying to get deals and it just aint Well a good friend of mine just picked up one without any options for $28k drive away. I'm going to check it out this weekend.

Mind you... he had his paid for well before any of them were delivered. He has been driving around in his car for over a week now, so he hasn't had to wait too long for his.

blueraven
3rd February 2006, 06:47 PM
hmm...well i suppose if he had ordered before they had enough orders to make sure the would be sold out for a few months...

so yeh, i geuss you could have got a deal if you pre-ordered one.... but then what if it got here and turned out to be a dog of a car? i'll never buy a car i havent driven first ('cept of course if anyone has 911 gt4 up for grabs for next to nothin :D)

steven.m
5th February 2006, 06:50 PM
thanks guys for all ur opinions and advice.. umm.. i think the first thing id do for now is just to drive each car before i start looking around again. But so far im more looking into comfort then speed. For an 18 year old i take this as my big investment. Hehe.. Cheers

rjastra
5th February 2006, 10:34 PM
The Polo Gti comes with floor mats as standard. I got tint thrown in. Fairly good trade on the Astra as well.

Overall I am impressed with the Polo. There is alot of potential in the car and they are selling (supposedly) like hot cakes.

I have heard of people selling < 1 yr old Golf Gtis for close to the amount they bought them for.