PDA

View Full Version : A quick peek at new Nissan Tiida spec

astra03
30th January 2006, 06:24 PM
Just had a very quick look at thespecs of the new Pulsar replacement from Nissan. As it will be in competition with Astra and Viva just interested as a previous Pulsar owner to see what it had.

A all alloy 1.8 engine, with constant variable valve timing, 93kw and 174nm on standard juice, respectable figures.
6 speed manual transmission, doesnt really reflect any great fuel consumption reduction figures as quoted by them.

Like to know what Nissan are thinking but in this day and age:

All models have rear drum brakes, abs as standard on all except base model.

Sedan version has only 60/40 split rear seat on the very top model, both base models ST and ST-L do not.

Centre rear seat belt is lap only, this is enough for the Wheels magazine to exclude it from any 2006 Car of the Year judging, as it does not meet their safety requirements criteria.

These omissions would be enough for me to not consider that car as it is now as a future replacement for my Astra G. What the G first came out in what 1998, it has those omissions as pretty much standard , 4 wheel discs (ABS as an option and finally as standard when model just ended). 60/40 seats and a FULL 5 seat lap/sash safety belt setup....

Interesting.......

CJB
30th January 2006, 06:31 PM
How can it not do the middle lap sash? and I don't get cars not doing the fold down seats in the back - same as the Lancer.

180HOA
30th January 2006, 06:35 PM
Hmm. So it's not particularly good looking, and it sounds like they've gone cheapo. Pretty fitting replacement for the current Pulsar, then...

Red AH SRI T
30th January 2006, 09:07 PM
and all models no matter how much you spend, have 15 inch wheels!

BTW, the Astra G never had ABS as standard across the range, even at the end, base models (City) had it as an option

Considering Renault's inut with Nissan i think the Tiida is a huge dissapointment

astra03
31st January 2006, 09:29 AM
To Black AH, I apologise about the ABS on the Astra G. I thought it was standard on the end of model Polish built Classic. But it was a package option, not standard. I was thinking of the last model Pulsar, that had ABS.

The reason I traded the Pulsar I had in on a Astra and not another Pulsar, was principally that those 3 omissions, in particular, the no 60/40 on a sedan and no full 5 seat belt setup. I cannot for the life of me see how a brand new car like this can not have those as standard. I think they will pay the price Nissan.

01CDsedan
31st January 2006, 09:45 AM
That's pretty poor for a brand new design. Not impressed with the interior either, very blocky design and cheap materials quality.

Wraith
31st January 2006, 11:00 AM
This is not new.

Nissan Pulsars have been getting cheaper and crappier ever since about 1994 - after the N14 model.

I had a brand new N14 ('92 model) - top car - after that model I quickly lost interest.

At that time Nissan was trying to compete against Hyundai's.

The new models were actually heaps cheaper than previous ones and it showed.........

astra03
31st January 2006, 02:24 PM
Wraith, yes you are right. I too had a brand new N14 1992 model, one of the last built in Australia. It was a great car, never an ounce of trouble.

6 years later I bought a second hand N15 model and although it gave no trouble, it was not as nicely finished as the N14 I had. Normally when Japanese built means better quality, in this instance, the N15 was not as good in finish.

Since then they have kept the Pulsar going with a good price tag until the Tiida was going to replace it. What a disappointment!!

01CDsedan
31st January 2006, 08:38 PM
I was thinking about this just the other day - all the cars that came out of Nissan's 'Project 901' in the period 1989-90 or thereabouts - N14 Pulsar, R32 Skyline, Z32 300ZX to name just a few - were brilliant cars, world beaters. Yet when it came to replacing those cars, either Nissan lost its way or the downturn in the Japanese economy led to Nissan taking economy measures, and its cars haven't been as good since.

Which is a shame, I'm a Nissan fan but there is nothing in the current lineup that I'm even remotely interested in buying.

RapidSRi
1st February 2006, 09:09 PM
I can't believe they still make cars with rear Drum brakes, shame

and the name Tiida is wierder than ever

MK
3rd February 2006, 01:51 PM
Hi,

Where is the Nissan Tiida made? Japan?

We will see more and more "cheap" products from car makers... to make up volume, car companies are sourcing more "cheaper" versions to make up the sales volume... besides its not the car companies who sell the cars, its the potential buyer who "sells" them... when people have no money they are the one who "shape" the cars that car manufacturers design and sell...

Europe is a perfect example... you have Renault who sell French made Clios and Megane for buyers who can afford to tick the option list (ABS, Disk Brakes, MP3, Climate, Cruize Control and so on) and pay a small price premium for a car made in French factory. Then you have Renault also manufacturing and selling the Romanian models (sorry not sure which ones are they) with drum brakes, no abs, one air bag, no radio, plain interior, steel wheels and so on... and they sell heaps of those, because thats all people can afford and want to pay for a car...
VW owns Skoda for example... they sell heaps of those in their dealerships as a cheap alternative to anyone who cannot afford the VW models... and so on.

Holden is doing it now... Barina and Viva and soon the Vectra replacement (have they came up with a name yet?) all made in Korea... other car makers on Australian market will follow soon.

Nissan will sell lots of Tiida, no doubt about it... but yes, lack of all wheel disk brakes or proper all seat belts, even on a base model in this day and age of technology is... sad.

RapidSRi
3rd February 2006, 07:21 PM
marcinkozinski's right. tiida should be better than whats been offered (even if does have Renault styling)

...maybe Nisssan will kindly follow the steps of VXR (HSV) Astra and ST (XR5) Focus and bring out a GTi version of the Tiida, rebadge it SSS -As Renault share engines with Peugeot!!

01CDsedan
3rd February 2006, 07:34 PM
Renault and Peugeot engine sharing? Not since the days of the PRV V6, as far as I know...

Red AH SRI T
3rd February 2006, 10:38 PM
...maybe Nisssan will kindly follow the steps of VXR (HSV) Astra and ST (XR5) Focus and bring out a GTi version of the Tiida, rebadge it SSS -As Renault share engines with Peugeot!!

oh no they don't

although renault and nissan share engines, mostly diesels

Red AH SRI T
3rd February 2006, 10:48 PM

oh no they don't

although renault and nissan share engines, mostly diesels

GeeeAus
3rd February 2006, 11:02 PM
It may be of interest to know that Skoda is a company which despite its' geography (being made in the Czech republic) and poor reputation in times gone by; has managed to turn itself into a company with some great products.

In fact they make some of VWs designs better than VW does.

In particular the Octavia is a brilliant car with great consumer and professional road test reviews and high reliability ratings.

It even looks all right.

I'm awaiting the launch of Skoda here in Aus as VW is considering the potential that car may have here. It’s already available in NZ. I rang VW sales HQ in Victoria, they said there were actively working toward brining Skoda back to Aus, and the Octavia was hot on the list as the car to introduce the brand.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/global/company/city/Company+and+city.htm

The Sport Octavia RS
http://www.skoda-auto.com/global/showroom/octavia_rs/presentation/

The Octavia & Octavia Combi (Estate)
http://www.skoda-auto.com/global/showroom/newoctavia/

Octavia UK Owner Reviews And Comments
http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Skoda_Octavia.html

Parker's UK Auto Review
http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/review.aspx?model_id=1276

All Quite Compelling Really.

GeeeAus

MK
4th February 2006, 01:06 AM
Definiately... Skoda is a great alternative and will make a competetive addition to Australian car market... on my numerous visits to europe (Poland) i have had the pleasure of driving few of the models available... let's hope VW hurry up and bring the Skoda to Australia.
Hopefully it will be a mixture of value and quality... Octavia and Fabia.

As for french car manufacturers sharing engines i believe there are two that have a jointly owned engine factory, just not sure which one, either Citroen and Peugeot or Renault... no sure.

Tiida will definiately sell very well, mostly it will be budget minded families who want affordable Japanese (instead of Korean) car. Pulsars have always sold well... especially the Pulsar Plus edition. In Tiidas case it will probably be the base model that comes out on top... i could be wrong however.

180HOA
4th February 2006, 10:32 AM
Citreon and Peugeot do a bit of engine sharing. I know the C4 and 307 share engines, and I think I also read transmissions and maybe platforms are shared?

As for the Tiida selling well... If it's cheaply made, has a stupid name, and looks odd to boot (like the deformed bastard child of a 307 and a Megane), I'd be giving it a wide birth. It looks like it'll be just another 'Korean' car, even if it is produced by a Japanese maker. Personally, I'd probably buy the Viva rather than the Tiida.