PDA

View Full Version : How do you fit aerials to the NEW ASTRA AH??

astramad
28th January 2006, 05:19 PM
Hi Everyone Out There, Don't ask but my aerial mount is already broken! Wondering if anyone has fitted a new aerial to their AH Astra? Also does anyone have a price on the part, I'm after the mount which fits on the roof not just the aerial it's self. thanks for your help;)

Gildo
28th January 2006, 05:29 PM
...........................electric car wash????

astramad
28th January 2006, 05:33 PM
Oh! O.K. I'll have to tell then! Roller Door! Was extremely lucky though, as I got no dints, just ripped the aerial mount off a little:confused:

extralarge
28th January 2006, 05:52 PM
the mast screws off anticlockwise

just get a replacement from holden

astramad
28th January 2006, 05:58 PM
Hi, Thanks for that, but it's the bottom mount I need, have been told it is bolted in through the roof and you have to remove the interior lining to refit another, but was wondering if anyone else has ever done one?:rolleyes:

bill142
28th January 2006, 08:42 PM
wow thats going to be messy if you have to do that. I've pulled the roof lining out of an LD Astra but thats really no use. Does it have airbags in the A pillars?? (if any are sold in this country with them there) that could complicate things. I need to get a shorter mast for mine as it occasionally hits the garage door on the way in and out.

astramad
28th January 2006, 11:05 PM
No, it doesn't have air bags in the side pillars. I was told by Holden (I'm in Australia) that you have to drop the lining to get to it, and it can crease the lining when you do this and is a fiddly job and labour intensive. My husband has used the old electricians tape which seems to be holding at the moment and I can still receive all radio signals and you really wouldn't notice if you didn't know, but I know and have only had the car a couple of months! I was really lucky though as the roller door actually hit the car roof right where the aerial is and not elsewhere otherwise I'm sure I'd have a dint in the roof! I hit the romote control when I took the handbrake off and didn't know, had windows up and air-conditioning on and radio on! Have know placed the remote control in the side pocket of the drivers door! That's the only thing I'm disappointed in with the Astra is the lack of room to put things! Apparently the Viva has 22 places!! Ha HA!:rolleyes:

Red AH SRI T
29th January 2006, 02:17 PM
and the lack of cup holders!

although i do like the muffin holder in the glove box

ROCCO
29th January 2006, 03:49 PM
Can you just take it back to holden and make up some stoery and get it done under warrenty if its only a few months old??

astramad
29th January 2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, was thinking that way too! Have heard some were replaced because they couldn't get a good AM signal. Has anyone out their had their's replaced and did they just replace the Rod or the whole fitting? Would love to hear!:)

bill142
29th January 2006, 05:13 PM
Can you just take it back to holden and make up some stoery and get it done under warrenty if its only a few months old??

That would only work if there isn't anyt noticeable impact damage. If it looks like the mount broke because of stress you could probably get away with it.

Chris R
30th January 2006, 05:49 PM
you have to drop the side panels out and everypanel around the rear of it. form there the roof will fall down and the amplifier will unbolt ffrom the bottom and unplug. that unit is common from 2003 on in ANY opel vehicle. cost is $20 or so from a wrecker.

astramad
30th January 2006, 09:29 PM
you have to drop the side panels out and everypanel around the rear of it. form there the roof will fall down and the amplifier will unbolt ffrom the bottom and unplug. that unit is common from 2003 on in ANY opel vehicle. cost is $20 or so from a wrecker.:)

Thanks for that great info, if I was to try this operation myself is there any danger of creasing the roof linning or is it glued to a board??
You sound like you have done one before? if yes do you recomend I give it a go myself:eek: as Holden want $150-$160 to do it plus parts.

Chris R
30th January 2006, 10:45 PM
:)

Thanks for that great info, if I was to try this operation myself is there any danger of creasing the roof linning or is it glued to a board??
You sound like you have done one before? if yes do you recomend I give it a go myself:eek: as Holden want $150-$160 to do it plus parts.
if you can remove the panels then you are halfway there. most of them are on clips. if you get it down enough then you wont have to worry about creasing it. it takes a lot to crease it anyway.

I have done a few of them :)

astramad
30th January 2006, 11:05 PM
:) Thanks alot Chris for your knowledge, will let you know how I go or someone else does!;) That's why this site is so great for information and wealth of knowlege:)

astramad
5th March 2006, 04:09 PM
:) Thanks alot Chris for your knowledge, will let you know how I go or someone else does!;) That's why this site is so great for information and wealth of knowlege:)

Hi Guys, Well I took my Astra AH CD into the local stereo fitter to have the aerial mount replaced. They did a fantastic job, you wouldn't even know it's been touched. It took 2 guys about 2 hours to do! And they know what their doing!! The fitter told me it's a fiddly job and there's just enough room to fit your hand in to turn the screw that holds it down as the aerial is fitted on the roof support! So then I went down to my local holden dealer and asked if they had a spare aerial rod laying around and guess what I now have a new aerial rod as well!! So I'm more than pleased!! So I just thought I'd let you know as everyone has been very helpful with information for me;)