PDA

View Full Version : Price for a 04 Barina SRi??

sparksy
28th January 2006, 01:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm getting a new SS Ute so its almost time to get rid of my barina.

Any idea how much I should be asking for it?

04 SRi
28000kms
remus back box and stock one
Magma Red
Tinted windows

In good nick, couple of stone chips.

Am I dreaming if I ask for $16k?

pred8r
28th January 2006, 06:09 PM
If you shop around different dealers, if its in good original nick you may get $12-15k for it trade-in, much quicker than trying to sell for 6 months and getting same or less. Get it detailed before looking to trade in, $135 for a detail could relate to $1k trade-in

My boss got $12k for a '98 VTII exec wagon (110k kms) traded on a '06 BA basemodel wagon. I love the way they did it, played GM dealerships off against each other, then when the trade-in price was high enough, bought the BA, which is what they(company not boss) wanted anyway.

Edit: seeing you are in melbourne, get your trade-in prices at dealers in melb, not necessarily a GM dealer, then go out to buy eg sunbury/geelong/bendigo

sparksy
28th January 2006, 07:55 PM
Not traiding it in unfortunatley. So taking it to a dealer will be a waste of time.

EL BURITO
28th January 2006, 08:44 PM
did a serch a month ago there was nothing under 17K for an SRI any age in Perth

180HOA
28th January 2006, 10:29 PM
Edit: seeing you are in melbourne, get your trade-in prices at dealers in melb, not necessarily a GM dealer, then go out to buy eg sunbury/geelong/bendigo

What would that achieve - I'm confused?

pred8r
29th January 2006, 09:34 AM
What would that achieve - I'm confused?

the dealerships still need to sell x amount of cars, everyone comes closer to get 'better deals', making it harder for the out lying dealers ;) more leverage for you

180HOA
29th January 2006, 10:03 AM
But the cost of a new Holden to all dealers is the same. A deal that one can do, any of them can do. And what's the point of focusing on the trade-in price? Shouldn't it be on the 'changeover' price? If the dealer can only get $x for a trade in, any additional amount they appear to 'pay' for your trade is, in actuality, a reduction in any other discount you might receive off the new car. The end result (i.e. how much money the buyer has to pay to drive a new car) probably won't be any different.

Charlatan
29th January 2006, 12:45 PM
$16k sounds about right. Prices are all over the shop on carsales, but people are dreaming imho.

pred8r
29th January 2006, 07:30 PM
But the cost of a new Holden to all dealers is the same. A deal that one can do, any of them can do. And what's the point of focusing on the trade-in price? Shouldn't it be on the 'changeover' price? If the dealer can only get $x for a trade in, any additional amount they appear to 'pay' for your trade is, in actuality, a reduction in any other discount you might receive off the new car. The end result (i.e. how much money the buyer has to pay to drive a new car) probably won't be any different.

I agree to a point, dealers would have $X markup they MUST make on eack vehicle, this would vary between dealerships. How else would you explain a $4k difference with the same trade-in price on the same vehicles that my boss was looking at?

The variance was $32k to $36k, one dealer even said "$34.5k thats it, if you get it cheaper elsewhere go there. I cant do better." needless to say, he didnt get another call from us.

That dealership will never get another one from me, because of $200 he lost the sale on one of the Rina's i was looking at.
There were 3 on the market at the time, it sat in his yard for another 3 months.
Was also only $500 cheaper on a Black C2, with 30k kms on it, than a brand spanker, i was like WTF?!?

You guys are under the assuption Dealers MUST sell you a car. They'd LIKE to, but, they dont HAVE to sell it esp. at ANY offer you make. Someone else will always come along and buy it at the higher price.
All you need to do is find a dealer who HAS to sell the cars to make his quota, which is more often the outlying ones and you can save $X000's.
Even $20 is better in my pocket than someone elses.

PaulyJ
29th January 2006, 07:47 PM
OK back to the topic

I think you'll get around 17k
Give it a good detail, make it look showroom condition, and you'll sell it easier
Advertise for 18k, they'll offer you 16k, sell for 17k.

pred8r
29th January 2006, 08:51 PM
If you are not trading, seriously consider ANY reasonable offer, if they are even looking at your car and have close to the dollars you are asking, take it.
If they walk, they may have been the only person in the next 6 months who looks at it at that price.

Its a buyers market, unless yours is something 'different' or someone wants a specific colour/model.

beep beep sri
31st January 2006, 04:35 PM
totaly agree pred8r. unfortunatly selling cars is a b1tch at the best of times