PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Results

Mr T
18th January 2006, 01:17 PM
A few people have been talking about dyno's and power figures lately, so I thought a few of you (or everyone that has been on a Dyno) would like to hit the list.

I understand that Dyno's are tuning tools but they do offer representation of the vehicles abilities. (tip for Opel owners - take out the ABS fuse)

I will also post up your 1/4 mile times too if you have them.

Here is what is needed to make a mention:

Tyre pressure at 50PSI
4th Gear
Shootout mode
RPM at 100KM/H (so I can convert if the dyno is in KM/H)
No hub dyno's, engine dyno's or G-tech's
PM, post your graph, email to [email protected], or fax to 02 9623 6541 and I'll adjust this post.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

This list has been relocated to Dyno Hall of Fame (http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7625)

Mr T
18th January 2006, 02:27 PM
Here's my dyno and time slip...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/onenutsbigger/dyno-tuned1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/onenutsbigger/14.jpg

SSS_Hoon
18th January 2006, 05:01 PM
here is mine

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sss_hoon/My%20Dyno%20000.jpg

i aint been down the 1/4 yet one day maybe i will et it out there that is for sure.

i have a k&n Panel filter in there genie xtractors sports zorst with 4"high flow cat and a cannon.

SSS_Hoon

Wattie
18th January 2006, 05:55 PM
eerrrm heres mine :)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/wattie83/lastscan.jpg
max power is about 5000rpm,

and 15.63 for the 1/4mile :)

PaulyJ
18th January 2006, 06:03 PM
mr corsa, i envy you!
congrats dude!

Turblue
18th January 2006, 06:04 PM
Here's mine with an AMD remap. Mind you, I do not have that map anymore...

131kw, and 320nm.

TC was turned off, and NO fuse was removed.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/wgiebel/AmD.jpg

PaulyJ
18th January 2006, 06:08 PM
nice one too wayne

and of course everyone else
good work
will get mine soon, just after a few more mods... coming soon

OPC
18th January 2006, 06:39 PM
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah... Ay

Mr T
18th January 2006, 07:16 PM
Here is what is needed to make a mention:

Tyre pressure at 50PSI
4th Gear
Shootout mode
RPM at 100KM/H (so I can convert if the dyno is in KM/H)
No hub dyno's, engine dyno's or G-tech's

^^^^^Dave and Jay ^^^^^

Need 4th gear fellas

If you dont have a 4th gear run get your arse down to Minchinbury on the 28th (http://nsw.opelaus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7497)

mr_sikma
18th January 2006, 09:58 PM
50psi in the tyres????

mr_sikma
18th January 2006, 09:59 PM
Sigma... [email protected]

Shaun
18th January 2006, 11:29 PM
heres my dyno results @15psi but only revs to 7100rpm due to electrical interference and by the way its a sri corsa-c and another thing this is my lowest dyno result
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7849/2299kws4eq.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

WOW... Impressive Tony. Congrats.

Shaun
18th January 2006, 11:43 PM
Glenn Suggestion if i may? can we make a Spread sheet up for this ? ill draw one up and send it on email. then host it somewhere so it can have info added. Also wayne can we have a Motorsport Section added to forum of all TRACK events . IE off street drags track days etc.

mr corsa
19th January 2006, 09:07 AM
5 dynos from nsw
1 dyno from vic
wheres the rest of the dyno results?

Dee
19th January 2006, 09:10 AM
am i allowed to put up my stock rolla stivo results???

Mr T
19th January 2006, 09:12 AM
Sikma: yeah 50PSI is a standard, all dyno's should be run on 50PSI tyre pressure. Also need to sight the signed Dyno (refer 1st post for details)

Shaun: I had thought about the speadsheet but it wouldn't be a working document, so I would have to constantly make adjustments, save as jpg and then host it. Makes for a lot of stuffing around.

Mr T
19th January 2006, 09:13 AM
am i allowed to put up my stock rolla stivo results???

SSS_Hoon is up there...you are more than welcome.

Dee
19th January 2006, 09:32 AM
11-SXI
05 Corolla Sportivo
1.8L na - stock
4th gear
not sure what the rpm was at the peak... where it starts to go up is 6000rpm tho... i can rev out to almost 9000

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/9794/hdachedyno9yc.jpg

the bottom line is the air fuel ratio... we didnt have torque measured on that day

auzvectra
19th January 2006, 09:50 AM
i have the dyno sheet, been posted a few times in different threads, but it aint in shootout mode and dont know what the tyre press was, bout 45ish i think.
but it was 121kw and 14.69, but will have to get another dyno a bit later in shootout mode.
hopefully after it's runnin a little less rich.

OPC
19th January 2006, 10:15 AM
^^^^^Dave and Jay ^^^^^

Need 4th gear fellas

If you dont have a 4th gear run get your arse down to Minchinbury on the 28th (http://nsw.opelaus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7497)
just because ur dyno sheet was done in 4th why does everyone elses hafta be in 4th ?

i know u know mine was done in 3rd cos u were there on the day...whats the difference...

145kw@wheels/[email protected]...

InsaneAsylum
19th January 2006, 10:17 AM
yeah you can post mine in the dyno hall of shame. as i did it on the same day as donna (opelaus/toyota dyno day) there is no torque curve

http://vectra.opelaus.com/dyno.html

oh by the way, it's 2.2L n/a with exhaust, no quarter runs

InsaneAsylum
19th January 2006, 10:21 AM
just because ur dyno sheet was done in 4th why does everyone elses hafta be in 4th ?

145kw@wheels/ [email protected]...

all dyno runs should be done in 4th or 5th for a six speed.

the reason behind this is that 4th (5th on a six speed) is equal to or as close as possible to 1:1 ratio, meaning that your gearbox wont be responsible for giving an abnormal torque reading.

Mr T
19th January 2006, 10:35 AM

i know u know mine was done in 3rd cos u were there on the day... but how can u be sure everyone elses was done in 4th ?

145kw@wheels/ [email protected] all ya get

4th is the standard, as Insane said it has a ratio of 1:1 or pretty close to it.
I can tell what gear dyno's are done in by the speed that is indicated at the bottom or for RPM readouts it is usually prited on the bottom what gear was used.

There is no point having a list if there is no consistancy in the methods used to obtain the figures...

OPC
19th January 2006, 01:35 PM
4th is the standard, as Insane said it has a ratio of 1:1 or pretty close to it.
I can tell what gear dyno's are done in by the speed that is indicated at the bottom or for RPM readouts it is usually prited on the bottom what gear was used.

There is no point having a list if there is no consistancy in the methods used to obtain the figures...

OH OK... AY

fixed my dyno chart for ya

SSS_Hoon
19th January 2006, 06:05 PM
and its also so that they can keep it all around the same hence they want it around the 150kph mark for max speed, some cars are actually in 3rd gear for this though but most are in 4th gear.

SSS_Hoon

Mr T: off topic component edited out

OPC
19th January 2006, 06:16 PM
c'mon jay come down it will be fun, or you too worried that some pulsars will have more then ya. :lol:

SSS_Hoon

how much money have they spent on their engines ?

ive only spent around $3200... im guessing... no wait... i guarentee they have spent more than that...

SSS_Hoon
19th January 2006, 06:28 PM
yeah they most likely have.

i would say even more then that, but maybe not as much as mr corsa.

SSS_Hoon

mr_sikma
19th January 2006, 06:50 PM
does putting your car on the dyno or draggin it void the warranty?

like if something stuffed up on the dyno or drags would you have to hide the fact that you did it at drags / dyno?

i wouldnt mind checkin mine out, but a mate has a worked xr6t and doesnt wana drag it coz of warranty!

OPC
19th January 2006, 06:58 PM

like if something stuffed up on the dyno or drags would you have to hide the fact that you did it at drags / dyno?

i wouldnt mind checkin mine out, but a mate has a worked xr6t and doesnt wana drag it coz of warranty!
tell him if he is worried to take the plates off the car b4 dragin it and put some tape over the rego label

cant see how the dealer would know that you have been to a dyno day.. so... go for it

oneightoo
19th January 2006, 06:59 PM
ya mates prolly worried his worked xr6 turbs has too many mods that would be voided under warranty anyway.. so, if he dont drag it, he dont break it, then no probs with warranty..

nadg63
20th January 2006, 10:53 AM

This reminds me of a guy who used to be in the REX Club that bought one of the original 500 imported 2-door MY99 STi's, (this was the model that cost Subaru Aus thousands of dollars in engine rebuilds due to popping piston No. 3 when the fuel cut came in).

Anyway, said person took it out to the local hillclimb event on the Sunday and sure enough on one of his runs bang, No. 3 piston went to mechanical heaven.

Monday morning gets the car back to the Subaru dealer telling them what has occurred, (forgetting the Hillclimb bit funnily enough!), and stating how he wanted his car fixed under warranty: whereupon out steps their chief Technician who ironically happens to be a registered marshall for motorsport - you can guess where he had been marshalling the day before!

Basiaclly Warranty Void and a heavy repair bill!

PaulyJ
20th January 2006, 11:33 AM
the guy got owned!
dont have any dyno figures, but got a pretty dismal 1/4 time on a hot calder park night.
It was my first time to the drags too.
60ft: 2.644
1/4: 18.643s

Car is not setup for drag, more for cornering, but more mods are coming soon.

opel697
20th January 2006, 12:22 PM
i'm heading out to the dyno day on the 28th, so after that i will be able to post my dyno read out. hopefully some of you will head out.

nadg63
21st January 2006, 01:18 AM
Ok, here's one of mine I have found in the system, bit old now and due for an update as soon as the weather cools down a bit! This one was taken straight after an ECU replacement so was supposed to go back for more fine tuning but slacko here hasn't gotten around to it, (will ask for a torque reading next time also!)

RedVYIISS
21st January 2006, 08:57 AM

If the prob happens at the drags, no warranty cover. I don't know about dyno though. It's not a 'motorsport' event. I have to remember to clean the rubber out of the wheel arches before I take mine to the dealers (it's a sure sign give-away that you've been to the drags!) Mine, 235 rwkW, 13.2 @ 107 mph.

Re gear ratio on dyno, 1:1 gearbox ratio is best, however torque readings are still useless as diff ratio and rolling dia of wheel have to be considered.

auzvectra
21st January 2006, 09:04 AM
hey redvyiiss, thats not bad, let me guess ls1 edit, airbox and exhaust?
my dad's got 241rwkw and 12.9, but that was with the clutch slippn, the standard clutch cant hold much power, would of been good for 12.6-12.8 without clutch slip and a good launch.
where bouts u live, who did ur edit?

RedVYIISS
22nd January 2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much it (also done valve springs). I'm NSW Central Coast, Sonny from Maranno's did my tune. It'd do well under 13 with some tyres (13.2 with shagged Nankang NSII's, auto and std stall converter). I'm currently working on a little upgrade though...... watch this space. :D

mr_sikma
23rd January 2006, 08:36 AM
yeah mate just has the same mods. air filter, edit etc on the xr6.

he has had a diff replaced aswell as the gearbox and had that fixed a few times also! went in there with fairly bald tyres too.

but with his car, aswell as the SS and definitely the Sti, they are sports cars meant to be driven hard etc so aslong as you arent hitting rev limilter etc every second then it should be covered!

Pauly: is that the same motor as the C's? i wouldnt mind taking mine ;)

FlySri
23rd January 2006, 09:00 AM
Sparks and I would post ours in the opel hall of shame!! I got 64kw and Sparks 80 something!! We had the tc off but I think we should have ripped the fuse!!! More info needed till we go again!!

Mr T
23rd January 2006, 09:07 AM
Ok, here's one of mine I have found in the system, bit old now and due for an update as soon as the weather cools down a bit! This one was taken straight after an ECU replacement so was supposed to go back for more fine tuning but slacko here hasn't gotten around to it, (will ask for a torque reading next time also!)

What type of car is this mate, what mods, any 1/4 figures?

Torque is ok, I can calculate that...

auzvectra
23rd January 2006, 07:55 PM
i reacon me gf's would be worse, corsa 'b' 1.2L tbi, 33kw at the fly :(
also we just had to replace the diff in me dad's sv8, they didnt cover it cause it was lowered!!

PaulyJ
23rd January 2006, 09:53 PM
Sikma, the C's have a different 1.4L. Its a X14XE with 66kw at the engine stock.
Mine is a C14SE with 60kw at the engine stock.
Now about 7?kw i hope, because i easily get stock Corsa B's.
Extractors coming within the next month, which will complete my exhaust system.

mr_sikma
24th January 2006, 08:09 AM
so i would be looking at around the high 18sec mark then!?!

PaulyJ
24th January 2006, 10:53 AM
high 18, low 19
keep in mind, the corsa c is heavier than the b's.
if yours is stock, then i'd say you'll be in the 19's.

auzvectra
24th January 2006, 05:00 PM
only 1 way to find out :D
and yeah, the c's are a lot heavier than the b's.

nadg63
24th January 2006, 05:21 PM
What type of car is this mate, what mods, any 1/4 figures?

Torque is ok, I can calculate that...

Hi Mr T,

It's a '99 WRX that I have owned from new, with quite a few mods. (so the dyno reading is 'at all four'). Has been an on-going project that I tend to lose interest in at times - hence not having taken it back for fine tuning yet; probably only travelled 3-400kms at most since that dyno reading 10 months ago - SAD! [I tend to take my SRiT, (when it's behaving - see some of my previous posts!), if I have to drive somewhere]

Sorry, no 1/4 mile times as designed to go around corners, not boring straight bits.

break
25th January 2006, 12:23 AM
cbf scanning the sheet again.... so you'll have to take my word for it (I posted the sheet AGES ago on here so some people will likely remember and back me up).

XC Barina 1.4 manual (the earlier model engine too)
1.4/stock as a rock with 98 octane fuel
No torque reading was provided, but it was obvious from the power curve that max torque occurred almost spot on 4,000rpm
53.39fwkw (72.6hp) @ 6,000rpm

Assuming the reading was right... that means I should have around 72kw @ fly.... which means i've gained 6kw (or 10%) from the 98 octane fuel. Thats huuuuuge from fuel alone on a factory car.

Mr T
25th January 2006, 09:53 AM
I found your Dyno... http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2515&highlight=dyno ...but its in 3rd gear mate. You need 4th gear to make the list.

mr_sikma
25th January 2006, 11:36 PM
so in order to be on 'your list' we have to tell the workshop to do it the way you had yours done?

every worshop knows how to tune a car on their dyno so a power figure for this list should be enough ;)

SSS_Hoon
26th January 2006, 09:08 AM
see mr sikma you have that wrong, most workshops do know how to tune a car, they also know that by putting the car on the rollers in 3rd gear gives a higher reading so that way the customer who they assume knows nothing leaves thinking there car has more power then what it really does.

take for instance MR T/MRS T car at the last dyno day i went with them too, there car in 3rd was around the 115kw mark when they put it in 4th it was only 98kw(traction control) and my SSS was 84kw and i know that there car has more power then that.

although i will say that there are certain cars out there that need to be in 3rd gear as they have different ratios then standard or whatever the case maybe, hence y most good dyno tuners aim to get the max power around the 150kph mark some cars are at this speed in 3rd but not many are.

SSS_Hoon

auzvectra
26th January 2006, 10:55 AM
then y dont we do it in 3rd in our sri-t, 160kmh in 3rd so peak power would be around 142kmh?

SSS_Hoon
26th January 2006, 01:18 PM
then y dont we do it in 3rd in our sri-t, 160kmh in 3rd so peak power would be around 142kmh?

i think that is y they do it in stock ones, as the srit is right around the shift point of the gears for the dyno,but 4th is just more commonly accepted i think.

SSS_Hoon

Mr T
26th January 2006, 09:00 PM
so in order to be on 'your list' we have to tell the workshop to do it the way you had yours done?

every worshop knows how to tune a car on their dyno so a power figure for this list should be enough ;)

This was discussed back on page 2.

'your list'...it's got nothing to do with the way that I had mine done, 4th gear is a standard as the gear ratio is 1:1 or pretty close to it. In any competition 4th gear will be the only one considered, that’s just how it is.

The other discussion about Astra’s having tall ratios and therefore should be done in 3rd is warranted but consider that dyno's are supposed to be a representation of drivability. Just because we have (relatively) tall final drives doesn't mean that we change the rules, because on the road we still have that same final drive and the car will perform accordingly.

If the workshop that you attend cannot get the correct power output recorded by using 4th gear, then perhaps there is a problem with the Dyno itself or maybe the meteorological data is entered incorrectly.

Wattie
27th January 2006, 07:11 AM
i had mine done at SAS and in 3rd gear it got 113kw i think,
they gave it a hit in 4th and only got 103 kw. he just wanted to see what it did. so 3rd gears ARE higher readings.
on sat we will see what i get at the NSW dyno day with pulsar forum. :)
IN 4TH GEAR

Mr T
27th January 2006, 08:42 AM
Wasn't that at Autotech Dave, where you got the 113.3KW...???

Wattie
27th January 2006, 03:34 PM
Wasn't that at Autotech Dave, where you got the 113.3KW...???
oops yess Autotech.. hehe

Dee
28th January 2006, 03:10 PM
This list has been relocated to Dyno Hall of Fame (http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7619)

this is what i see when i click this link....

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Turblue
28th January 2006, 09:50 PM
Try here (http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7625).

This should be correct.

break
30th January 2006, 03:51 PM
I found your Dyno... http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2515&highlight=dyno ...but its in 3rd gear mate. You need 4th gear to make the list.All other cars on the day were run in 3rd so i'm assuming this was taken into account with the calibration of the output.

But yeah, from the sheet you can see max torque hit at 4,000rpm (where the first part of the line kinks), then max power is just over 6,000rpm
http://home.iprimus.com.au/devroomefamily/dyno.JPG

SSS_Hoon
30th January 2006, 09:03 PM
so put us both in the hall of fame well update mine that is.

the golf is 3550rpm in 4th at 100kph.

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon
31st January 2006, 08:42 PM
can someone edit the links in my post with the readouts on it with these following links as they will work now.

the golf
http://members.optusnet.com.au/sss_hoon/Dyno%20Sheet%20001.jpg

the pulsar
http://members.optusnet.com.au/sss_hoon/My%20Dyno%20000.jpg

SSS_Hoon

Mr T
31st January 2006, 10:31 PM
can someone edit the links in my post with the readouts on it with these following links as they will work now.

Yep...Done...!!!

DIXIE
17th November 2007, 02:24 PM
here's my vl back when it was running like crap, with a list of problems a mile long, and the worst power curve in history lol

oh and its in 3rd gear cause there is no 4th lol.

http://i12.tinypic.com/80op76h.jpg

xplosv57
17th November 2007, 03:51 PM
Wow I never knew about this thread!!!

Since there's other makes and models other than Opel's here, may as well post my results so far...

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/1613/calaisdynoreportschooleg6.png

Has since run a 13.4 @ 166km/h in full street trim!!

mr corsa
17th November 2007, 09:14 PM
unlock the dyno hall of fame thread

OPC
17th November 2007, 11:11 PM
here's my vl back when it was running like crap, with a list of problems a mile long, and the worst power curve in history lol

oh and its in 3rd gear cause there is no 4th lol.

oh well that's just not good enough for Mr T... he wants 4th gear dyno's only

DIXIE
18th November 2007, 06:03 PM
lol my vl doesnt have 4th gear lol wtf am i meant to do

xplosv57
18th November 2007, 07:17 PM
lol my vl doesnt have 4th gear lol wtf am i meant to do

Put it in H!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Mine was done in 3rd also, no point doing it in 4th as it's an overdrive!!!

I think the whole 4th thing is for 5 spd manuals only, don't forget us auto owners!!!! :D

SSS_Hoon
19th November 2007, 10:04 AM
the 4th thing is for lazy dyno operaters that cannot be botherd calibrating the dyno for every single run that they do is all if set up correctly then 3rd n 4th gear will be close.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
19th November 2007, 10:19 AM
Steve congrats, that's awesome stuff :clap: you gotta love V8's :)

SSS Hoon, just noticed your Golfs torque readout - 608.7nm :confused: are you sure you don't have Steves V8 in there :D

SSS_Hoon
19th November 2007, 01:12 PM
yeah LoL i know its a tad high, not sure why as all the others on the day were right, and they had another dyno day yesterday and again they were all right, we didnt put the GTI on to check again as no point there has been no mods done to it.

I deff think there is a error with that readout for sure, i think when they entered the figures for the calculations they entered the wrong numbers maybe.

where is the bottom end of that graph?

SSS_Hoon

InsaneAsylum
19th November 2007, 01:31 PM
4th is for 5spd manuals.... basically put in the gear that provides the 1:1 ratio

OPC
20th May 2008, 02:03 AM
in the end dyno readouts are ghey and are only for tuning

get the car out to the track and show everyone how its done

14.3 stock Astra H OPC

Bring on the Bluefin, Manifold, Turbo, internals, Eibach's, FMIC, Miltek, LSD & C.A.I.

Mr Corsa here i come

Apex
20th May 2008, 06:33 AM

14.3 stock Astra H OPC

Bring on the Bluefin, Manifold, Turbo, internals, Eibach's, FMIC, Miltek, LSD & C.A.I.

Mr Corsa here i come

Shit that’s quick (for a poxy Astra)! Almost a second quicker than what Motor magazine tested it at… What strip was that? Post up the time slip :)

mr corsa
20th May 2008, 07:47 AM

14.3 stock Astra H OPC

Mr Corsa here i come

SO IS CHRISTMAS :clap:

SSS_Hoon
20th May 2008, 08:01 AM
Damm what a thread revival...

should really update mine i guess, one day ill get around to it.

As for getting it out there damm straight as soon as i sort out the niggly little bits for my car i will be back out there to take a few seconds of my old woeful time(hopefully).

Dyno's are good for mod differences and should always be taken with a grain of salt, its too easy to fudge numbers on a dyno.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
20th May 2008, 08:59 AM
Another thread that refuses to die :D

sooty
20th May 2008, 09:03 AM
An oldy but a goody lol
For 6 pages there's not actually that many dyno readings...surely more people would have them :)

Wraith
20th May 2008, 09:27 AM
An oldy but a goody lol
For 6 pages there's not actually that many dyno readings...surely more people would have them :)

Not really when you think about it :)

This is an Opel fraternity, so there's not many types of powerful hi performance cars in their inventory - to date anyway - so the whole dyno/racing part of it, is only alive with the few that'll extensively mod and tune their cars, so as to go down the dyno/racing road etc. :)

If this were your typical Japanese car forum, such as the GT-R and Evo forums I'm a member of, they actually have specific dyno/racing sections and are a hive of activity as that's a main part of what these cars are all about :)

On the OzEvo forum, there's actually a funny section, that's for all the people who've got less than 200kw at the wheels on their Evo - guess what, it's just about empty :D meaning most members have had their car tuned and dynoed and have more than that :)

sooty
20th May 2008, 09:30 AM
Not really when you think about it :)

This is an Opel fraternity, so there's not many types of powerful hi performance cars in their inventory - to date anyway - so the whole dyno/racing part of it, is only alive with the few that'll extensively mod and tune their cars, so as to go down the dyno/racing road etc. :)

If this were your typical Japanese car forum, such as the GT-R and Evo forums I'm a member of, they actually have specific dyno/racing sections and are a hive of activity as that's a main part of what these cars are all about :)

On the OzEvo forum, there's actually a funny section, that's for all the people who've got less than 200kw at the wheels on their Evo - guess what, it's just about empty :D meaning most members have had their car tuned and dynoed and have more than that :)

Yeah that's fair enough, i understand it's not really a race car breed of forum lol, but essentially everyone has done some form of modification and i just thought more people would be interested to see what they got...
I know i am lol....

SSS_Hoon
20th May 2008, 09:49 AM
yeah but most ppl, dont bother with it as they take what the manfufactors claims for gospel.

And others use dyno only to guage improvements before and after mods like me.

Then you get those that live by the figures the car makes on the dyno and design the car to make power on a dyno only with a power band of only a few hundred rpm. And wonder why they get beaten by a car with less power but a much broader power band.

I also think that is interesting and fun but then again im a nerd....:D

SSS_Hoon

Apex
20th May 2008, 10:28 AM
I can see where he is coming from (no not Russia) lots of dyno’s give lots of different power figures.

I personally have seen variations of up to 10kw on some of my cars..

Here’s my run.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/tteett/CCI00012.jpg (http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/tteett/CCI00012.jpg)

Yes its running rich bla bla we are all experts bla bla.. Have had it checked and its running fine. Will be converted back to stock on the weekend anyway as im selling it.

Anyone want springs, intake and downpipe for an AH?? PM me your offer.

Wraith
20th May 2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah that's fair enough, i understand it's not really a race car breed of forum lol, but essentially everyone has done some form of modification and i just thought more people would be interested to see what they got...
I know i am lol....

I can only speak for myself and I have done 'some' mods to my turbo vert, but it's not enough to warrant the expense or time effort to go out and dyno the thing - I'm happy with it as is - if I took it several steps further, then yes, it may justify going to the dyno, whether it be for a power verification or more importantly - getting it tuned/set up properly :)

In the past, I've had quite a few very powerful built cars and those were all regulars at the tuning/build shops dynos - at that level most if not all are :)

I've got a whole heap of dyno print outs of past cars of mine and have literally spent thousands of dollars in the past for dyno sessions...

But for my vert that simply has a flash and rear muffler change - IMHO dyno session = waste of time and money ;)

Apex
20th May 2008, 12:07 PM
The runs I have done have been a mixture of both Tuning runs and Power runs.

Im in a NZ European car club (eurosport.org.nz) and have attended a few dyno power run mornings that work out quite economical. I have organised one for this coming Saturday (if you’re in town) and it only works out to $40.00 a vehicle based on 20 cars over one morning.

OPC
20th May 2008, 09:08 PM
Shit that’s quick (for a poxy Astra)! Almost a second quicker than what Motor magazine tested it at… What strip was that? Post up the time slip :)

someone told me that when motor mag do the 1/4 mile times they have a passenger and a full tank of fuel

Apex
21st May 2008, 06:50 AM
Regardless Im sure we would all like to see your time slip! Out of curiosity what time’s are you Ausi boys getting?

Wraith
21st May 2008, 09:13 AM
someone told me that when motor mag do the 1/4 mile times they have a passenger and a full tank of fuel

The runs I've seen pics of show only the driver in the car !!!

Don't know if the tank is full or not though ???

SSS_Hoon
21st May 2008, 10:15 AM
there is carying sources as to what they actually run with and some runs are done with and some without.

One of the drivers in the race team my dad works for, is a driver for Ian Luff Motivation Aust, and also a test driver for a few different magazines.

From a brief chat i had with him about it and what i could gather as he was not giving too much away, is that it depends, sometimes they do it with some luggage and passengers and other times they dont, and sometimes its a average of a few runs and others its only the one run that was the best, and most of the time its done with GPS sensors not actual 1/4 mile strips either. As for fuel it also varies.

SSS_Hoon

blueraven
21st May 2008, 12:13 PM
The runs I've seen pics of show only the driver in the car !!!

Don't know if the tank is full or not though ???

I have seen motor/wheels state this fact in some of their articles.

they state the times were done with a full tank and passenger, and one of the readers sent a letter abou tit and they replied with something along the lines that it was a throwback to the days when a guy had to sit in the car to time the runs, they said it was unfair to all of a sudden remove the passenger from the times becuase whe you would compare old times vs new the new time had an unfair advantage eg: 1985 ss vs 2005 ss, the 1985 would have been done witha passenger so to get a good comparison you would have to do the test of the 2005 with a passenger.

motr and wheels claim 14.1 an 14.3 for the 08 sti for a 1/4 mile, and 5.2 sec to 100kmph.

thats funny since i have seen dozens of 1/4's from the states of stock cars doing 13.2-13.4 on the 1/4 and 4.6-4.8 sec to 100km(even tiff needle confirmed 4.8).

Wraith
21st May 2008, 12:39 PM
I have seen motor/wheels state this fact in some of their articles.

they state the times were done with a full tank and passenger, and one of the readers sent a letter abou tit and they replied with something along the lines that it was a throwback to the days when a guy had to sit in the car to time the runs, they said it was unfair to all of a sudden remove the passenger from the times becuase whe you would compare old times vs new the new time had an unfair advantage eg: 1985 ss vs 2005 ss, the 1985 would have been done witha passenger so to get a good comparison you would have to do the test of the 2005 with a passenger.

motr and wheels claim 14.1 an 14.3 for the 08 sti for a 1/4 mile, and 5.2 sec to 100kmph.

thats funny since i have seen dozens of 1/4's from the states of stock cars doing 13.2-13.4 on the 1/4 and 4.6-4.8 sec to 100km(even tiff needle confirmed 4.8).

That's the way it is then :)

I'm curious how the Motor times are nearly always quicker than the Wheels times and that's with full tank and passenger...

And yes, for some reason our times seem slower than the Yanks ???...maybe/could be because they do 0-60mph runs (0-100km/h = 0-62mph) - not sure about the 1/4 though as they still use the imperial measurement of 1320ft which is actually a bit longer than our standard metric distance of 400m...(1312.33ft)

Could also be final spec/tune, fuel grades etc. ??

mr corsa
21st May 2008, 07:11 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

CORZZA
25th May 2008, 06:15 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/Corzza/PICT0089.jpg

Apex
26th May 2008, 07:48 AM
Now that’s really impressive. And on a Dynodynamics meter too! Hub or Rolling road.

PS: What the heck have you done to that Mazda! :eek:

SSS_Hoon
26th May 2008, 09:40 AM
damm i forgot this was on, wanted to go. oh well for the better as my new zorst aint on yet anyway.

Congrats corzza nice result.

Although the MPS should be done in 5th gear not 4th to get as close to 1:1 as possible(would only be a few kw difference anyway if the dyno was setup correctly that is) but still great results none the less, you had it down the strip yet?

Gets a bit rich up the top end there though considering it has DISI it should be able to run a touch leaner then that around the 12 right through would be nice, unless the tune has it rich up top to keep the EGT low as this is what they do with the GTI's.

SSS_Hoon

GreyRex
26th May 2008, 10:26 AM
Can someone do me a favour and describe why all dyno graphs have a power (kW) curve, but it seems to vary between them having a torque curve or a boost line?

I thought all dynos showed a power and torque:confused:

For me, torque really is the more important part

Wraith
26th May 2008, 11:19 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/Corzza/PICT0089.jpg

Great result :clap: I love the MPS3...

Should be pumping out at least 230kw at the engine, this MPS would be a real surprise package ;)

So what's the torque output ??? that would have to be at or over 450nm at the engine for sure :)

Wraith
26th May 2008, 11:23 AM

Although the MPS should be done in 5th gear not 4th to get as close to 1:1 as possible(would only be a few kw difference anyway if the dyno was setup correctly that is)

SSS_Hoon

Don't know about that one SSSHoon, Corzza or someone else will have to confirm, but the MPS 3 has a 'variable' final drive ratio in 5th and 6th gears, so 4th would be the one to the the dyno run...

Would love to see this MPS 3 run the 1/4, it's a definite 13sec candidate ;)

SSS_Hoon
26th May 2008, 11:34 AM
the MPS 4th gear is 1.171 and 5th is 1.085 around those numbers from memory. the final drive is 1st-4th 3.941 and 5th-6th is 3.350, wont make all that much difference on the power output just where it peaks is all, with those gearings it would prolly put it too fast, most likly approaching 200kph.

Yeah the GTI has a variable final drive in 5th and 6th also really wierd although you never feel it engage though(not sure if you would or not anyway).

Dyno readouts mizled can have whatever the operator wants to put on there, the most common are power and either torque or AF/R, for me the AF/R is more important then torque as with a torue reading is not going to tell me if my engine will lean out and blow up.

SSS_Hoon

GreyRex
26th May 2008, 11:46 AM
Dyno readouts mizled can have whatever the operator wants to put on there, the most common are power and either torque or AF/R, for me the AF/R is more important then torque as with a torue reading is not going to tell me if my engine will lean out and blow up.

SSS_Hoon

Ok thanks. Only reason I ask is because I got mine done, and it had power and boost... apparently

So does that mean you have power and one of either

-boost
-Air/fuel ratio

or

-torque?

Sorry about the question... it's good to know what to expect!!

SSS_Hoon
26th May 2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah but not all, as to get boost for example they need to hook the sensor into it to get it.

After the run they will still have all the numbers and data in the system so you can ask for a readout with the torque on it instead or say it beforehand so they cans et it up for you before the run.

Some places can have all of them on there if you want.

I would rather see power boost/air-fuel then torque on there as already stated as its more of a guide as to how the engine is handling it and what its doing, unless im just after a power run then i would get torque and power put on there.

You already had yours on a dyno have you? have you posted up the graph for us too have a look see at?

SSS_Hoon

GreyRex
26th May 2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah but not all, as to get boost for example they need to hook the sensor into it to get it.

After the run they will still have all the numbers and data in the system so you can ask for a readout with the torque on it instead or say it beforehand so they cans et it up for you before the run.

Some places can have all of them on there if you want.

I would rather see power boost/air-fuel then torque on there as already stated as its more of a guide as to how the engine is handling it and what its doing, unless im just after a power run then i would get torque and power put on there.

You already had yours on a dyno have you? have you posted up the graph for us too have a look see at?

SSS_Hoon

I unfortunately don't understand exactly how a boost line should look, or how to read the air-fuel ratio.

My boost line was basically a horizontal flat line that waved a little

And yes, i got mine dynoed. I can't be bothered putting it up. It made a higher reading than what all were expecting... I was happy:)

It's been flashed now so it'll be different

CORZZA
26th May 2008, 06:44 PM
damm i forgot this was on, wanted to go. oh well for the better as my new zorst aint on yet anyway.

Although the MPS should be done in 5th gear not 4th to get as close to 1:1 as possible(would only be a few kw difference anyway if the dyno was setup correctly that is) but still great results none the less, you had it down the strip yet?

Gets a bit rich up the top end there though considering it has DISI it should be able to run a touch leaner then that around the 12 right through would be nice, unless the tune has it rich up top to keep the EGT low as this is what they do with the GTI's.

SSS_Hoon

Thanks man!

Mate my mps is using the stock ECU which is why its rich up top. Waiting to get the Xede chiptorque intercepter in to lean it out a tad. There is a fella with 206kw ATW with the chiptorque in so im hoping for that.

All the cars on the day were run in 4th

CORZZA
26th May 2008, 06:48 PM
Great result :clap: I love the MPS3...

Should be pumping out at least 230kw at the engine, this MPS would be a real surprise package ;)

So what's the torque output ??? that would have to be at or over 450nm at the engine for sure :)

Hey Wraith!

Thanks man! im very happy with the result seeing as the stock ones were putting out around 158kws.

Yeah the torque was up near 450Nm. So they said. next time im going to get a torque read out.

Really want to get her out to the track. Finding time is the problem.