PDA

View Full Version : Astra Diesel on the way?

01CDsedan
13th January 2006, 08:56 PM
An article in CarsGuide (or was it Drive?) today suggested that Holden was likely to start selling a turbo diesel Astra this year. Anyone heard anything else about this? Could be just the thing to eat into diesel Golf sales.

EL BURITO
13th January 2006, 09:51 PM
i read somthing along those lines in the West AUS

NUTTTR
13th January 2006, 10:35 PM
if it does good power, i'd get one :)

aussie_in_london
13th January 2006, 10:53 PM
if its the 1.9 cdti, very good engine, 150bhp easily moded to 190 and not an expenisve mod at all and very good on the fuel 40+ mpg. Its suprising how quick this engine is in the sports hatch

EL BURITO
14th January 2006, 05:36 PM
if its the 1.9 cdti, very good engine, 150bhp easily moded to 190 and not an expenisve mod at all and very good on the fuel 40+ mpg. Its suprising how quick this engine is in the sports hatch

with that fuel economy that is deffinatly worth a look, might wate a bit longer and see if we deffinetly are getting it

01CDsedan
14th January 2006, 10:15 PM
How do those numbers translate to metric? Bhp and Mpg mean nothing to me...

NUTTTR
14th January 2006, 10:49 PM
How do those numbers translate to metric? Bhp and Mpg mean nothing to me...

to get kw simply multiply by 0.75...

40+MPG translates into metric as 'very very good'

Aaron

EL BURITO
15th January 2006, 12:55 AM
1Mile = 1.6km
4.54L = gallon
Fuel take is 52L or 11.5 Gallons
14km to the L

733KM per tank approx (depends on how ya drive it)

That help

Red AH SRI T
15th January 2006, 08:36 AM
there was a test in wheels recently of the Astra SRi CRDTDi (i think thats what it was called), anywho they said that once on the move its better than the SRi Turbo, they also said holden should have a diesel astra here before the end of the year, and my boss said the same thing

EL BURITO
16th January 2006, 01:09 AM
besides wat fuel gos in em and the engine differences and fuel ecomomy, wat is the difference's beteen a passenger diesel Vs petrol. I have only driven 4x4's with diesel??

01CDsedan
16th January 2006, 09:22 AM
The main difference you'd notice in driving is the restricted rev range - while diesels produce good torque, it all happens in a fairly narrow band. Fine if you don't mind changing gears a lot to keep the car on the go. There's also the characteristic of a lot of turbo cars, which is basically stuff-all go below a certain rpm until the turbo has spooled up and then it all comes at you in a great big rush.

The upside is that diesels are great for fuel economy at cruising speeds, so they're perfect for people who drive on freeways and highways a lot. Around the city, you might get sick of changing gears and of the 'no power-lots of power' transition after a while.