PDA

View Full Version : New Ultimate 100

InSaNe^Sna1L
12th January 2006, 07:07 PM
Has anyone used this and do they recommend 5% Ethanol for the astras?

lowey22
12th January 2006, 07:42 PM
i haven't even heard of Ultimate 100! i am interested in the ethanol issue also.

blackSRi
12th January 2006, 08:06 PM
I was reading Wheels mag these hols and the main issue with ethanol is deterioration of engine components that are alcohol-sensitive - eg rubber seals, tubing/pipes etc.
Euro-built cars (where in Europe, ethanol is usually used to boost octane rating to 98 - eg France) have no issues with burning upto (I think it was) 15-20% ethanol blended with petroleum. 100%-ethanol running (like in Brasil and in trials in Germany) requires significant engine mods - but in normal amounts it's no issue.

I ran 98RON with 10% ethanol (From the Independent fuel outlet down the road from BP on the City Bypass (Kings rd) Melb) in my friend's Astra City - 2 tanks - no issues - plenty of oomph and the engine hummed on Fwy driving to Ballarat and Portsea.

EL BURITO
12th January 2006, 08:46 PM
well u cant get it in WA cos of some laws, that basicly give BP a monopoly on 98 fuel

oneightoo
12th January 2006, 09:13 PM
does anyone know when they started using the ethanol blended fuel in europe? i ask as the newer opels wouldnt have these issues, but what about the odler ones, say an opel built in 91, lets just throw in for example the opel is a calibra, possibly red in colour..

EL BURITO
12th January 2006, 09:17 PM
it was in the 90's i read some were 92 but dont quote me

Wattie
12th January 2006, 09:19 PM
I ran 98RON with 10% ethanol (From the Independent fuel outlet down the road from BP on the City Bypass (Kings rd) Melb) in my friend's Astra City - 2 tanks - no issues - plenty of oomph and the engine hummed on Fwy driving to Ballarat and Portsea.

i ran the Liberty 98 with ethanol im my fuel injected bike, and didnt go as well. no where near as good at BP and Caltex 98, i'd rate it about the same as normal premium unleaded.

low astra
12th January 2006, 10:38 PM
i saw it for the first time today at the servo, so im giving it a wack now, it was $1.30L so i only put in $20 buck just to give it a try,

strangly enough no breath taking changes after 11.3 min of driving, maybe a long drive tomorow night will show me something

NUTTTR
12th January 2006, 10:45 PM
I've used optimax 100 and because it takes me 2 weeks to go through a tank at the end of 2 weeks i filled up with normal BP unleaded and the car performed SO much better... Initially it's great, but once it's a day or so old it started to feel worse and worse, till it was better performing with reg unleaded.... my 2c is don't buy it, it's like normal Optimax, crap!

Wraith
12th January 2006, 11:02 PM
mmmm curious, want to hear from a turbo owner if they've tried it and what results.

I know this topic has come up numerous times before, but on repeated trials with my Astra T comparing Optimax 98 to BP Ultimate, I've always noticed far better power and response with the Optimax, cars runs alot flatter with the Ultimate.......

My Astra T has a remap only, everything else is stock standard.

Was waiting for the introduction of Caltex 98 in Melb. to give that a go, will now try this 100 Optimax first as Caltex 98 is still not available in Melb.

NUTTTR
12th January 2006, 11:17 PM
my car has better response for the first day with optimax, but that's it... and optimax is proven to lose octane as it sits.....

blackSRi
12th January 2006, 11:27 PM
$1.18/L sold it for me in Vic - in Perth 98RON is $1.23

Alcohol for cars is nothing new - have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_alcohol_fuel .
Ethanol started to be widely used in the late 80's in Europe as an oxygenator - like MTBE - mainly to help with limiting harmful emissions. Oh and Sweden is the place of 100% Ethanol fuel trials. I miss 104RON in Osaka/Kobe.

InSaNe^Sna1L
13th January 2006, 08:16 AM
Hmm alcohol fueled car eh........1 for me....1 for the car....1 for me.....

Looks like I won't be using it in the car then. Think I will stick to normal Ultimate.

Didn't know there was an issue with Optimax though. Might stop using it for a while. Besides.....Shell tends to be the cheapest anyway, so might keep using them.