PDA

View Full Version : How to Mount

EL BURITO
10th January 2006, 01:41 AM
K i ordered my new number plates today. I know the pre drilled mounting points will not be in the right place for my car so wat to do. How can i mount the plates with out drilling the middle of the plate.

oneightoo
10th January 2006, 08:38 AM
drill the bar maybe? lol

Turblue
10th January 2006, 08:55 AM
If they are not personalised, just drill through. That's how mine were done. Just use nice bolts.

Otherwise, maybe a frame might do the trick.

InsaneAsylum
10th January 2006, 09:00 AM
double sided sticky pads maybe

Dee
10th January 2006, 09:04 AM
go to holden and get them to drill the bumper bar... i think they have a template so the holes are straight and in the middle of the number plate section

EL BURITO
10th January 2006, 04:52 PM
If they are not personalised, just drill through. That's how mine were done. Just use nice bolts.

Otherwise, maybe a frame might do the trick.

They are personalised polycarbon plates. Were do you think i may find a plate or would i be best off building one?

Clint
10th January 2006, 05:49 PM
i just drilled holes into the plates when i got them, just drilling holes into the bumper wont be good cause behind the current holes in the plastic, or metal on the boot, is metal for the screws to screw into, and on the bumper this metal is moulded into the plastic i think, well thats how the vectra is anyways

EL BURITO
10th January 2006, 05:55 PM
yea there is 2 screw holes with a plactic bit in them. I am thinking about how i would build a mount to use the scres in the plate and the car.

Red AH SRI T
10th January 2006, 07:53 PM
you can go to supper cheap auto and buy a plate mounting frame that srews into the euro plate mounting points, and then u simply screm your plates into that through the plates in the holes.

Either that or go to your local holden dealer and inform them that u have jjust purchased new plates, and they have a template that they use to drill holes in the plates to match up with the screw points in the bumper.

DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN YOUR BUMPER

mr_sikma
10th January 2006, 09:33 PM
no one has aksed yet...

what plates did you get???

i was thinking the same thing if i get new plates. the ones i have now i just drilled thru but used allen headed chrome bolts.

also i am having a look for something for you!

mr_sikma
10th January 2006, 09:37 PM
i am pretty sure BA55UP has some carbon fibre shaped one on the back of his astra. i am looking for the pic now.

mr_sikma
10th January 2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2637

EL BURITO
10th January 2006, 11:43 PM
there is no way in hell i would drill holes in my car Black AH CDX thats wrong. They drilled my current plate at holden when i got the car and its screws are on an angle. Plus its Poly carb not aluminum so i want to keep the smooth finish.

Sikma i will let you know wat i got when i get then cos i am doing some stuff to the back and it should all be done in the next 4 weeks hopefully still making up my mind on some things. Like my badges and building a new shelf for my speakers.

EL BURITO
10th January 2006, 11:45 PM
BA55UP were did you get the fames from and are they ajustable my plate is 9 characters long

low astra
11th January 2006, 12:23 AM
just go to a scrap metal merchant and get a peice of aluminum about the same size as your plate, then drill it 2 suit you car and then drill it to suit you plate, moght cost u 20 bucks but it would be a easy way to do it

EL BURITO
11th January 2006, 12:35 AM
thats wat my dad said but what i couldnt work out was what to do about counter sinking the screws at the top of the plate

BA55UP
11th January 2006, 07:32 AM
hey mate shoulda shot me a PM hehe just saw the thread now, bought the cover from supercheap, i am thinking the euro plate shape cover would maybe fit yours.

and i used a nice out door heavy duty double sided tape, i then cut strips and covered the whole plate, take awhile but i did this around march last year and they havnt budged since, been through mud, dust, rain, (havnt tried snow yet :P) and anyways if they fall off i can just put more double sided tape on :)

NEVER EVER EVER drill the bumper yourself
espeically if they are a long personalised plate, the next person the car goes too wont want 2 holes on either side of thier plate hehe

oh and FYI when i got my astra direct from holden the plate was screwed through one of the letters and did not look straigh at all to me... this was a brand new astra that just rolled off the truck....

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8216/plates4ul.jpg

crazyk78
11th January 2006, 07:50 AM
go to holden and get them to drill the bumper bar... i think they have a template so the holes are straight and in the middle of the number plate section

Don't worry about going to holden. Just make a template out of cardboard and test it out.

EL BURITO
11th January 2006, 10:13 AM
i will go have a look at super cheap after work. see wat they got

mr_sikma
11th January 2006, 11:33 AM
yeah i may do the same thing!

mmm double sided tape though, would have to be the strong stuff!

low astra
11th January 2006, 05:57 PM
thats wat my dad said but what i couldnt work out was what to do about counter sinking the screws at the top of the plate

do u mean the screws on the number plate or the mounting plate? if the number plate, maybe use a centre drill, you can buy them from any tool shop for a few bucks, or use a cap head screw,

if the mounting plate just use a drill bit 1 oe 2 mm bigger than the head of the screw and drill it gently you should be fine

EL BURITO
11th January 2006, 08:45 PM
use the holes in my bumper and hatch to attach the mounting plate and then use the 4 holes pre drilled in the plate to attach. attaching the screws through the plate then mounting plate. I i thinking i might get some thick tin plate to drill through and spray it black so it blends in. Nothing at super cheap that could be useful my plate is going to be to big

NUTTTR
11th January 2006, 10:54 PM
double sided tape is a bad idea.... Just IMHO!

Why? Well, because when you use double sided tape water "pools" on the foam, in the foam and behind the plate, paint is porous, water gets through and you'll end up with rust holes if you give it a few years. Just IMHO...
Up to you, if you don't keep the car long, it's someone elses problem
Aaron

BA55UP
11th January 2006, 11:29 PM
hmmmm i can see where you coming from, but i would think its a better alternitive to drilling into the car....

NUTTTR
11th January 2006, 11:43 PM
just drill the plates... If you are REALLY concearned, use REALLY small screws.... just take the inner boot panel off to put a nut on the inside.... you'll never see that! (likewise with bumper you can just reach behind it)... I would HIGHLY recommend NOT drilling the car, it gives you two holes, make it work... get a euro adapter and just deal :)

Aaron

EL BURITO
12th January 2006, 12:16 AM
Wat is a euro adaptor Wat dose it look like and how dose it fit?? Even the euro plates sold in WA dont have the right holes for euro cars. All plates supplyed in WA TODAY have the standard positioning holes so one in each corrnor.

mr_sikma
26th January 2006, 11:25 PM
so what plates did you end up getting?

EL BURITO
27th January 2006, 06:40 PM
Well i did it. they are on. didnt drill holes in the plate. used 3 lenths of alloy 2 rivets and 2 extra screw and nut per plate. They are on and i like em. they black.

DirtyHarry
27th January 2006, 07:14 PM
Ive seen on an astra in wollongong a bracket for the australian plates to screw into the european holes. ive been trying to find this bracket for ages. It looked like a professional thing. Maybe the dealer down there sourced it from somewhere.

MK
30th January 2006, 09:57 PM
What we need is these:

http://www.hotofoto.pl/images/marcinkozinski/nmbrpltfrme.jpg

For Australian size number plates offcourse...