PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a Tech 2?

entice
8th January 2006, 06:00 AM
Out of interest, lets say I could gain access to a Tech 2, other than recalibrating my speedo on an AH Astra, what else can I do with a Tech 2?

Oh, and all this assumes I have access to GMH data for correction and tolerance inputs.

thanks in advance!

Mr T
9th January 2006, 09:30 AM
Its a diagnostics tool, you cant change things that arn't meant to be changed.

You can find and reset fault codes, reset radio code when pin limit has been used, disable airbags/ABS/TC etc (for specified times), reset ECU.

Thats about it, you wont be able to do anything to improve the car, like change the ECU mapping for example.

btw, technically you can't calibrate the speedo - all you can do is select different Wheel/Tyre combinations, but these are only for wheels that are avalaible as OEM options.

stevedee3
9th January 2006, 11:41 AM
AFAIK you can change pretty much anything that can be changed on the car. You could, for example, configure your car to have gas discharge headlights instead of incandescent lamps and then fit a HID kit and have it work. (At least, I guess you can - assuming similar setup to ZC Vectra... )

Chris R
15th January 2006, 11:43 AM
haven't played with one long enough to fully understand it - but you can DL the cars maps and other items and load them to a PC and play to your minds content. I mainly use it to recode keys to CDL modules.

auzvectra
15th January 2006, 02:00 PM
this may help
http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/tech2/
http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/tech2/features.html
it only 4K for a tech 2, prob in us but, would make it 6K.
or full kit at 6K, bout 9K, not as much i thought they would be.

stevedee3
16th January 2006, 09:06 AM
haven't played with one long enough to fully understand it - but you can DL the cars maps and other items and load them to a PC and play to your minds content. I mainly use it to recode keys to CDL modules.I want one... :)

auzvectra
16th January 2006, 06:11 PM
stevedee3, i agree.
would be very interesting.

JR
16th January 2006, 08:39 PM
would u seriously pay $6k - $9k so u can reset stuff and download vital car stats?

i'd rather spend dat money on other things.

sure, i'd love 2 know all dat info (i even wish i had trip computer in my astra!!!), but there is no way i'd spend dat much money.

entice
16th January 2006, 09:39 PM
who said anything about spending a cent??? ;)

stevedee3
16th January 2006, 10:43 PM
would u seriously pay $6k - $9k so u can reset stuff and download vital car stats?

i'd rather spend dat money on other things.

sure, i'd love 2 know all dat info (i even wish i had trip computer in my astra!!!), but there is no way i'd spend dat much money.That's why I don't have one... :)

auzvectra
16th January 2006, 10:49 PM
but it wouldnt just be for urself, would be to do ne (just about) holden with efi.
but yeah, dat a lotta money.
it does do a lot more than just dianostics ect.
if i could be bothered reading through the manual i'd tell u everything it does.

stevedee3
16th January 2006, 11:21 PM
but it wouldnt just be for urself, would be to do ne (just about) holden with efi.But I only have one... :)

auzvectra
17th January 2006, 06:53 PM
were on an opel (holden/Gm) forum arent we.
share n share alike :)

auzvectra
17th January 2006, 07:00 PM
also from what i beleive, the tech 2 can act as an emulator with the right software, i beleive the "sps" software does it.
which means CUSTOM TUNE!!!!!!!!!!
none of this 11-12:1 af, bring it up to 12.5-13:1 what eva suits best.
yah, more power, more torque, higher rev limiter, as they do in the uk n germany.

imad4u
17th January 2006, 10:15 PM
the tech2 is no where near as advanced as the Nissan consult II, the tech2 doesn’t have an oscilloscope, volt meter, CAN Interface built into the tool, you have to use a CAN interface module that connect inline with the cable, every Holden dealership is forever replacing cables due to the design on the system as far as the tech 2 goes compared to other vetronix tools the tech two is one of the worst tool ive ever worked on and with

auzvectra
18th January 2006, 01:16 AM
oh well, looks good in writting.
havent used 1 yet, but sounds good enough for what i want.

stevedee3
21st January 2006, 11:41 PM
This (http://service.gm.com/userguides/english/t2ug-en.pdf) may give some clues, although it seems to focus mainly on diagnosis of the Tech 2 unit itself. It also seems to be directed at North American markets - I haven't found anything that mentions European cars...

gmtech
22nd January 2006, 07:41 PM
Well It Seems I Have Been Prompted To Make A Comment Or Post Something On This Forum By Opelaus Admin So Here Goes......tech 2 Is A Advanced Diagnostic Tool And That Is About It. With The Correct Accessories Like Tis 2000 And A Hardware Key, Yes You Can Alter Settings With Your Vehicle, But In Reality Do You Really Want To Do That?? Also The Hardware Keys Are Only Available To Holden Dealers.you Will Not Achieve Better Performance Out Of Your Motor Car As The Settings Are Set From Factory. To Obtain "better Responce Or Produce Better Power" This Is Only Achieved By Software Which Is Only Available To Gm P/train Engineering And Not The Dealer Network. We Use Laptops And Several Interface Modules To Transfer Data Or Flash Different Calibrator Files. There Are Several Aftermarket Software From The Net That Can Be Flashed Into Engine Ecu's But It Is Not Recommended.like Several People Have Stated On This Forum For This Particular Issue, It Is A Diagnostic Tool That Dealers Use For Diagnostic Work, Yes There Are Other Functions It Can Do Like Live Data Listing, Clearing Dtc's,programming Modules, Keys And Many More Interesting Things. Also There Are Two Variety Of Tech 2's- The Dealer Unit And Also The Service Unit Which Has Limitted Usage For Security Reasons-these Are Used By Smaller Workshops.hopefully That Answers Your Question. Gmtech

pred8r
22nd January 2006, 08:25 PM
FWIR on a corsa c you (without the 'secret' password) can turn on 'one press all doors unlock'.
With the 'password' the only other thing (useful, or knew what it did) i changed was had some function turned on, i think it was called 'mind you home' or something, as for what it did i have no idea. But from what someone else said it enables this, if you flash high beams with keys out and you can walk off and lock the car and the headlights will turn off in about 30secs. I thought it may have turned on the other rear foglamp, so both work, which i dont know because i havent checked if it even has a globe in it. The service dude didnt know what it did but was just curious to fiddle with something different(too many commodores methinks)

stevedee3
23rd January 2006, 09:49 AM
pred8r, sounds like you are talking about "Follow me home". After opening the driver's door, if you flash the headlights, they will stay on for 30 seconds after you lock the car to illuminate the area around the car. The reversing lights also come on to light up the back. That's how it works on a Vectra C anyway.

entice
23rd January 2006, 12:01 PM
so.. GMTECH, how do I get onto one of these powertrain/engineering guys? Might have to pop down to the new building on Salmon St with a case of beers me thinks....

:)

J/k

stevedee3
23rd January 2006, 01:29 PM
My guess would be that you'd need to learn German and visit Opel (maybe Bosch) with your beer. Do Holden actually do any engineering work on Opel vehicles in Australia?

Mr T
23rd January 2006, 01:31 PM
Do Holden actually do any engineering work on Opel vehicles in Australia?

Yep, they designed the Holden badge...but even that is fitted in Antwerp...

pred8r
23rd January 2006, 02:40 PM
pred8r, sounds like you are talking about "Follow me home". After opening the driver's door, if you flash the headlights, they will stay on for 30 seconds after you lock the car to illuminate the area around the car. The reversing lights also come on to light up the back. That's how it works on a Vectra C anyway.

Thats it, I think it was Dug74 that told me what it did, but his is a later model so maybe it came 'enabled' from factory, mine got optioned :p later.
Also from what it was called you can understand why i assumed it could have been the twin rear fogs.

auzvectra
23rd January 2006, 08:01 PM
yeah the 2nd foggie isnt connected, just ask dug74 he connected his up.

gmtech
23rd January 2006, 09:33 PM
Hello entice-member
Here in melbourne the work that gets done is current product issues and calibrations for our climate and conditions. The majority of the test products are all vauxhall based now days as this is close to our spec we use here in australia. No enhanced work is carried out only if there is a driveability issue then this gets relayed back to germany for assessment,evaluation and aprovement. Currently there are several vauxhall based vehicles that are being tested for hot start conditions and options. Who knows we may find ourselves with new spec engine's later in the year.....shhhhhh ;-) GMTECH

imad4u
23rd January 2006, 09:38 PM
Well It Seems I Have Been Prompted To Make A Comment Or Post Something On This Forum By Opelaus Admin So Here Goes......tech 2 Is A Advanced Diagnostic Tool And That Is About It. With The Correct Accessories Like Tis 2000 And A Hardware Key, Yes You Can Alter Settings With Your Vehicle, But In Reality Do You Really Want To Do That?? Also The Hardware Keys Are Only Available To Holden Dealers.you Will Not Achieve Better Performance Out Of Your Motor Car As The Settings Are Set From Factory. To Obtain "better Responce Or Produce Better Power" This Is Only Achieved By Software Which Is Only Available To Gm P/train Engineering And Not The Dealer Network. We Use Laptops And Several Interface Modules To Transfer Data Or Flash Different Calibrator Files. There Are Several Aftermarket Software From The Net That Can Be Flashed Into Engine Ecu's But It Is Not Recommended.like Several People Have Stated On This Forum For This Particular Issue, It Is A Diagnostic Tool That Dealers Use For Diagnostic Work, Yes There Are Other Functions It Can Do Like Live Data Listing, Clearing Dtc's,programming Modules, Keys And Many More Interesting Things. Also There Are Two Variety Of Tech 2's- The Dealer Unit And Also The Service Unit Which Has Limitted Usage For Security Reasons-these Are Used By Smaller Workshops.hopefully That Answers Your Question. Gmtech

the TIS hardware key and software is able to be brought from vetronix dealer network...

if you would like more information please speak wit the australian dealer petroject, they are also vetronix's service provider. http://www.petroject.com.au/tech2.html

stevedee3
23rd January 2006, 10:19 PM
Here in melbourne the work that gets done is current product issues and calibrations for our climate and conditions. The majority of the test products are all vauxhall based now days as this is close to our spec we use here in australia. No enhanced work is carried out only if there is a driveability issue then this gets relayed back to germany for assessment,evaluation and aprovement. Currently there are several vauxhall based vehicles that are being tested for hot start conditions and options. Who knows we may find ourselves with new spec engine's later in the year.....shhhhhh ;-) GMTECHHi gmtech, I'm curious (if you can say) - how different is an Holden Vectra CDXi from an Opel Vectra GTS or Vauxhall Vectra SRi?

Thanks.

Clint
24th January 2006, 11:02 PM
ive got the tis 2000 software. still working out how to use it, all i can do so far is look at wiring diagrams lol, and dam they are in very good detail and explaned very deeply. last time i installed it i could diagnose problems and find solutions but cant seem to do that this time i installed it. i think i gotta fiddle more when i find some time

auzvectra
25th January 2006, 08:02 AM
No enhanced work is carried out only if there is a driveability issue then this gets relayed back to germany for assessment,evaluation and aprovement.

gmtech, does that mean u can sort out my drivability issues???
PLEASE, it's killin me :(