PDA

View Full Version : Renewed Faith in Holden Service

woody
3rd January 2006, 01:50 PM
OK so for a while there is was a bit miffed with the service i had been getting at my local dealership (Hunter Holden St Leonards).

The reason being... I took my car in for a standard 15k service and on receipt of the car it had developed a problem.. an oily smell had developed throught my aircon & heating. At fisrt i put it down to a small spill of oil on the engine while the oil was changed but after a week i expected the spillage to have burnt off and the smell to have dissipated... it didn't...

I took the car back to Hunter Holden and advised them of the smell, they took the car in and duly returned it telling me there was nothing wrong with it and that although they could smell the problem they could not find it...

I wass a bit miffed to say the least.. i vented my anguish here some a while back and Krissn spoke to me and advised me on a couple of things when dealing with Hunter Holden.

Armed with my new found information and the fact that the car had now sprung a very small oil leak i returned to Holden. they took the car... i returned at the end of the day and found they had done little but clean the engine as they could not determine where the leak had come from - i was asked to drive the car for two days then return so they could determine where the problem was coming from and fix it... two days later i returned and handed over the car again.

On my return to hunter holden that night to pick up my little girl i was told that they had changed two gaskets on the engine and after the test drive had found that my Cylinder Head Assembly had a crack in it.. they would order in a new one (at a cost to them of $3718) and that it should be available within a few days.

On the 28th of december I took my car back to them.. they gave me a little silver 1.8 Astra Sedan (which drives like it has a ferrari engine under the bonnet, i kid you not!! Shame about the knocking engine and the worn out, off side wheel bearing) and took my little lady away for her cylinder head transplant.... it's been 6 days now.. i miss her... i miss her total closure... i miss her electric windows... i miss her sub... i miss the torque at high speeds... so i called them. i spoke to my original adviser at 9:30 this morning who told me that the surgeons were still working on her and that her vital signs were good. She was still in intensive car(e) but should be into the recovery unit by this afternoon and able to come home soon.

so my faith is restored.... for a while there i became very frustrated with the sevice and the laxsidasical approach to finding the original issue with my car... in hindsight had they looked harder (or had i know to ask for a specific mechanic) they may have found the issue before it cracked my cylinder head.. and saved themselves $3718 dollars... but it's done now.. and they've been very nice... so for all my previous vents.. i apologise..

However if i get my little lady back and she splits her stitches and starts bleeding again..... you'll all hear about it!! ;)

CJB
3rd January 2006, 03:12 PM
ha ha ha woody at your 'style' of writing that. That's great though. I guess every now and again Holden feels they have to do the right thing by you, just to make sure you come back.

woody
3rd January 2006, 03:23 PM
**Update**

The hospital called... she's still under general anaesthetic... but they are winding up the tail end of the operation now, she's booked in for post operative physio in the morning and... hopefully... she will be home tomorrow...

(possibly with a sticker that says.. " i was a good car at the service centre" and a lollipop!)

R3N
3rd January 2006, 07:30 PM
does blackie know about this?!

EL BURITO
3rd January 2006, 10:33 PM
right heres wat i dont get who pays for the warranty work??
the Franchise, the manufaturer or Insurense taken out by ether partys.
I have had my car in for warranty work befor and not once retured to the dealer were i bought my car for this work. Sorry to go a little off topic woody but this seems the right place to ask the question.

Mrs T
4th January 2006, 09:06 AM
right heres wat i dont get who pays for the warranty work??
the Franchise, the manufaturer or Insurense taken out by ether partys.
I have had my car in for warranty work befor and not once retured to the dealer were i bought my car for this work. Sorry to go a little off topic woody but this seems the right place to ask the question.

Holden pays its dealers to complete warranty works. It provides the parts and pays for labour

Mr T
4th January 2006, 09:25 AM
And further to that Peta,

Holden would subsequently bill Opel for the work if it is on an Opel.

The dealer is paid a predetermined hourly rate that is dependant on the score that they receive on the SSS (Service Satisfaction Servey) which is roughly 60-90% of typical hourly rates that the dealership may charge for service.

woody
4th January 2006, 11:58 AM
Rang the hostipal and got cut off... Tried again and the poor little girl is still in surgery... probably won't get her back til tomorrow :( it's been 7 days now...

Red AH SRI T
4th January 2006, 10:25 PM
does blackie know about this?!

sorry, been away on holidays, just got back an hour a go, besides i work at HEARTLAND Holden, not Hunter :eek:

woody
5th January 2006, 09:04 AM
***Update***

Really hope i get my little girl back today - have spent the morning driving.. well more like sliding... to work in the courtesy car, no ABS.. crap tyres on a greasy road... almost ran up the arse of a Honda and a BMW !!

Must get coffee!!!

woody
5th January 2006, 02:12 PM
OK so called again today and was told the cylinder head had come back and was being fitted and that the car would be ready by 12pm tomorrow!!! WHAT..... The cylinder head assembly had arrived on the 28th.. It was supposed to have been beeing worked on for the past five days!!

My faith is dwindling.. I have become irate!!

Can anyone tell me the expected timeframe for a cylinder head assembly replacement???

Blackie.. can you advise??

Mr T
5th January 2006, 02:27 PM
If your talking about fitting one...its only 10 bolts....

...and a little bit of teadious fidly sh!t

woody
5th January 2006, 02:38 PM
Let me Clarify MR T... the Cylinder head had a crack in it - they ordered me a new one which (Apparently) arrived on the 28th - i left them with my car that afternoon and was told it would be 2 days. The deal was that they had to remove the cylinder head assembly and replace it with the new one then do some compression tests.

(plus the fiuddly bits)

Does this sound right and if so what sort of time do you belive this should take??

Mr T
5th January 2006, 03:01 PM
I think they are over due....based on you previous posts i think they have told you some porkies...

woody
5th January 2006, 03:23 PM
right tah... based on that i'm going to chew the adviser a new Ar$$hole when i speak to him next.

woody
5th January 2006, 03:46 PM
ok so i was very calm when i spoke to him and let him explain that the new head had to go to the machine shop and as it comes completely blank, all the specific components had to be installed and tested (vaules springs etc etc). The car has now been put back together and is ready to go but i'm letting them keep it til tomorrow so they can run it in for a while and ensure there are no more issues.

So at 12pm tomorrow i'll be picking her up.. i'll throw a post up when i get back to work and let you all know how she's running.

Mr T
5th January 2006, 03:54 PM
Arh...that sounds reasonable...!!!

woody
5th January 2006, 04:16 PM
to tell you the truth.. as long as i can have it back tomorrow and hand them back the nasty little astra i got as a courtesy car i'll be a happy man

woody
6th January 2006, 03:07 PM
got her back this morning.. all clean and sparkly too.. have to drive her gently for a week but so far so good.

Mr T
6th January 2006, 03:14 PM
got her back this morning.. all clean and sparkly too.. have to drive her gently for a week but so far so good.

Arh thats good stuff mate...