PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed Re: Steering lock

break
31st December 2005, 01:52 PM
Hey all,

Before we start, remember I drive an '01 Barina (just a 1.4L manual)... it has power steering, and some electronic steering adjustment that varies the amount of power assistance on the steering depending on how fast you are going.

Anyway... I went to start my car (just cleaning the engine bay so I wanted to have the car running before I do it), and the steering lock is preventing me from turning the key in the ignition.

I know... I know... you turn the wheel slightly one way or the other until it will let you turn the key... but the thing is this isn't working... no matter where I position the steering wheel I still can't get the key to turn.

I'm going to take of the plastic covering below the steering column... but i'm not sure what I need to be looking for to release the steering lock.

Can anyone help me out here? Even just some idea of how I should look for to release it?

But yeah... i've just got the feeling that the lock had engaged... and the 60 degree heat that would have been in the car (seeing its 35 degree's outside today) has made some of the metal in the steering column expand a little too much for the steering to unlock.

But yeah... any help would be appreciated.

Mods, I posted this in general because:
a) I need help fast
AND
b) The steering column is similar on most Opels.

BA55UP
31st December 2005, 02:08 PM
general problem in the holdens the starters get sticky in the heat, is it still under warrenty?

i remember a few people have had this prblem and helden have replaced the igintion plate.

cant remember exactly how it all works or what exact bit you need to replace but im sure others will now i have brought it up :D

break
31st December 2005, 02:17 PM
general problem in the holdens the starters get sticky in the heat, is it still under warrenty?

i remember a few people have had this prblem and helden have replaced the igintion plate.

cant remember exactly how it all works or what exact bit you need to replace but im sure others will now i have brought it up :DCar is unfortunately no longer under warranty :(

I'm going to see what I can do with it.... if not its trailor back to holden to get fugged up the ass for a new ignition :(

BA55UP
31st December 2005, 02:26 PM
ouch, maybe wait till it cools down man, but that doesnt mean this problem wont happen again next summer :(

break
31st December 2005, 02:27 PM
Just some things I'm going to try:

- Unlocking and locking the car... as it might be the imobiliser not disengaging
- Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (for same reason as above)
- Cooling the lock down (In the event that its the heat making the metal expand that is doing it)

BA55UP
31st December 2005, 02:28 PM
see as above :P

InSaNe^Sna1L
31st December 2005, 07:01 PM

cant remember exactly how it all works or what exact bit you need to replace but im sure others will now i have brought it up :D

i noticed that...i thought it was a problem with having too many keys on my keyring and buggering up my ignition

crazyk78
1st January 2006, 10:23 AM
I know this may sound stupid, but when you put your key in, push it in and turn it as well as jiggling the wheel.

My TS astra sometimes has a rough and sticky key but if I push it in and turn it is ok.

BA55UP
1st January 2006, 10:51 AM
unfortnetley some are just better built then others :(

lets us know how you go man but i am pretty sure once they get stuck they wont move for no body....

break
1st January 2006, 03:59 PM
I know this may sound stupid, but when you put your key in, push it in and turn it as well as jiggling the wheel.

My TS astra sometimes has a rough and sticky key but if I push it in and turn it is ok.I've tried that.

I'm going to use the vaccum cleaner and suck out any crap in the locking mechanism... then i'm going to use some graphite powder and see if that works.

crazyk78
1st January 2006, 05:46 PM
Another dumb point.

1. Is the key worn?

2. Have you tried the spare key?

Dee
2nd January 2006, 05:53 PM
laurie's mum had that problem with her 01 astra the other week... when the tow truck came to pick it up to take it to holden to get it fixed after a few days of not being able to get it started... the fkn thing fixed itself...

remember we are in melbourne here and it wasnt that hot that week... no idea what it was... next time it is going straight to holden as it is an existing problem with this car (among others) and they are going to fix it for free... let me know if you find out what it is trev... i'll get them to fix that now and see if it happens again

EL BURITO
2nd January 2006, 07:02 PM
laurie's mum had that problem with her 01 astra the other week... when the tow truck came to pick it up to take it to holden to get it fixed after a few days of not being able to get it started... the fkn thing fixed itself...

My mum drives a cruze not an astra. :rolleyes:

break
4th January 2006, 09:42 PM
Another dumb point.

1. Is the key worn?

2. Have you tried the spare key?No the key wasn't worn, but I did try the spare key and that didn't work.

I had called up holden and I was going to tow it back to get it repaired... but instead my father insisted we have a go at fixing it. So we removed the locking mechanism from the car and took it to a locksmith, who spend 2 hours fixing it (with help from my father funny enough) and charged us $90 (its $90 an hour, but he said half price since my father helped him).

So yeah... if this happens to anyone else... screw taking it to holden... get your local locksmith to do it for $180... but as a warning... ALOT of dash plastics need to be removed in order to properly remove the mechanism... it will take you around 2 hours to remove the mechanism.

BA55UP
4th January 2006, 11:43 PM
interesting to know.... but i mean if you got warrenty, then just take it in, but very good compremise for the older cars

break
5th January 2006, 12:38 PM
interesting to know.... but i mean if you got warrenty, then just take it in, but very good compremise for the older carsYeah, if the car was under warranty I would have taken it back to holden (well, I would have made them send a tow truck out to pick it up).

That said, I'm still pretty suprised that such a new car (its only got 44,000 on the clock) could have silly ignition problems like this. While I can't expect superb build quality for a cheap hatchback, I expect more than issues like this.

Dee
5th January 2006, 01:12 PM
My mum drives a cruze not an astra. :rolleyes:
mine does too.... but i bet your mum's name isnt sharon (my boyfriend laurie's mum's name is sharon)

Nem
5th January 2006, 09:07 PM
Mine (Astra 01 SRi) was done under warranty. Dealer fess'ed up and told me straight out it was a known issue. All swapped no charge and no need to book it in to get it done! Thanks North City Holden! (Perth)

break
6th January 2006, 04:46 PM
A tip for anyone that this happens to in the future.

You can turn the locking mechanism if you use a hammer and tap the key in as you turn it. However, this isn't a permanent fix and will only allow you to just start the car that one time to get yourself to the holden service centre.

MK
6th January 2006, 06:56 PM
this happened to my falcon ute after i cleaned the engine bay, the ignition key would not turn at all... i thought something was stuck inside. NRMA attended and the mechanic cleaned something inside the engine bay (excess water\degreaser) and the thing started up straight away!!!