PDA

View Full Version : Weird Speedo & T/C

SydneySRi
10th April 2004, 02:37 PM
Hi everyone,
My first post here. I've got an Astra SRi Turbo & used to have a N/A SRi. I have a problem when i stop on the Princes Hwy at Tempe from between Suttons Arncliffe & Canal Rd.
Here's what happens...I come to a complete stop & needle says 0km/h. Almost as soon as it hits 0km/h the needle rises to 10km/h & stays there while i'm still stationary. The k's even click over while i'm still stationary. But when i start moving away, the traction control starts kicking in.

What's going on? :? This speedo thing happened to both my Astra's.

Next time you are here, see if it does the same for any of you.....

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ryan...

frankie9fingers
10th April 2004, 04:01 PM
That is weird! i'm pretty sure the speedo runs on electrics now so my conclusion without consulting the oracle (GAZ) i'd say somehow your revs maybe interfearing with your speedo. Or you have an alien spaceship that stuffs up your electrics stalking you.

SydneySRi
11th April 2004, 08:38 AM
Wonder if being close to the airport may have something to do with it. :? Or maybe there is a some kind of invisible field around the airport that stuffs up the electrics of unidentified flying vehicles?!?! :wink:

NUTTTR
11th April 2004, 10:26 AM
Is it only at that location? Because you may find that radar, etc is quite possibly interfering with the cars electrics... The sensors for the wheels are magneto sensors so it's highly possible
Aaron

SydneySRi
11th April 2004, 11:07 AM
Yeah, it's only on the Princes Hwy between Suttons Arncliffe & Canal Rd. I'm worried its just my cars.

Petros
15th February 2006, 11:54 AM
I have been roaming through the net to find if others have had the same problem. I came across this site. I work in IT and have worked in problem solving electronics for a while. As I have an Astra convertible I have the same problem. Ironically, it is the same patch of road but further along. Here is what I have found out.

The car problem:
Speedo Jumps to 10-12km/h while stopped anywhere from Forest Road Peakhurst (Opposite Mitre 10) all the way along Stoney Creek road to the Suttons dealership. Same problem with the Traction Control. Also happens on other roads around Sydney.

The environment problem:
I know from my work that ElectroMagnetic Fields are a real pain for unsheilded electronics. There is a very high voltage inducing a EMF feild in some electrical cables under the road here (info from some friends of mine). I bought a EMF meter from **** Smith for $30 to test this. Normal background radiation is 0.02-0.04 Gaaus (in your home / on normal streets etc). Unsheilded electrical equipment locks up at 60-80 Gaaus. Put it near your mobile phone reads 40-80 Gaaus while making a call. The road in question comes in at 120 Gaaus! (From the passenger seat height away from the street, let alone the height where the sensors are near the wheels). Put it on the road and it maxes out at 199.

Solution:
I am still fighting with Holden (who is well aware of the problem) on this as it is a sheilding problem in the car. My concern is on the wear and tear of having these systems engage (even though if leave your foot off the brake for about 2-3 seconds the speedo drops to 0 and the system does not engage). My concern too is one day you might find it will trigger the airbags.

We should claim for phantom kilometres on the odometer for this too.

PS> I would hate to think what the people in the homes nearby are exposed to.

Hope this helps.

btm
15th February 2006, 12:31 PM
that is the strangest thing I have ever heard :eek:

Petros
15th February 2006, 12:37 PM
Beleive it or not but it is true.

I would be glad to sit down with someone to go through it

btm
15th February 2006, 12:40 PM
I drive past both those places mentioned above regularly and never noticed that happening....

Makes me want to drive there tonight and see if anything happens to my car....

Petros
15th February 2006, 12:52 PM
I travel these paths early morning (7am-7:30) and (5-5:30) North and South bound for work. Try to pick the left hand lane closest to the footpath.
Cheers.

NUTTTR
15th February 2006, 12:54 PM
I drive past both those places mentioned above regularly and never noticed that happening....

Makes me want to drive there tonight and see if anything happens to my car....

Sounds more like a problem with radiation (EMF) that shouldn't be happening.......... rather than a car problem....... If you look where the car computer is, there's no way to properly sheild the units........ Although they are in completely sealed casings, likewise the ABS/TC computer (on the back of the ABS unit) is a sealed bosch unit..... They all have SOME form of sheilding, but radiation levels that high is stupid....... They have something there that is causing that....... It's not a car problem, i'd bet heaps of others experience it in other cars.......

oneightoo
15th February 2006, 01:10 PM
those wacky germans..