PDA

View Full Version : Another bad Barina review.

ronj
19th December 2005, 09:42 AM
This was in Sundays paper here in Sydney, a few motoring writers were asked to pick the best new cars of 2005 and the worst, Isaac Bober states

"Holden Barina, take a class leader and foist a pathetic imitation on to the market that has loved it ever since the beep-beep barina ads. This Daewoo sourced Barina turns out to be a huge disappointment"

Will the Astra/ Vectra replacements get the same review?

Red AH SRI T
19th December 2005, 10:31 AM
astra replacement? hmm that aint happening anytime soon (remember viva sits below astra)

And the vectra replacement is still some way off

Mr T
19th December 2005, 12:22 PM
I may be wrong here, but...

Wasn't the Beep-Beep Barina ad for the Suzuki based Barina...!!!

Shaun
19th December 2005, 12:32 PM
I think the new Barina is well priced. What more do you want for Sub 12K mark. Honestly can you guys give it a rest. Looking at pics on here of the Newest Barina its looking like a baby astra and the price will increase. GET OVER IT..... its about market share.
Glenn your correct about it earlyer model Barina had the slogan "BEEP BEEP" the Opel Version had the Superfreak Barina Chick Ads. I dont believe there were any adverts for the Barina XC.
As for Astra Replacement thats not happening. The AH has been on the market for over 12 months now but Holden isnt pulling the pin on the car.

ronj
19th December 2005, 02:00 PM
I think the new Barina is well priced. What more do you want for Sub 12K mark. Honestly can you guys give it a rest. Looking at pics on here of the Newest Barina its looking like a baby astra and the price will increase. GET OVER IT..... its about market share.
Glenn your correct about it earlyer model Barina had the slogan "BEEP BEEP" the Opel Version had the Superfreak Barina Chick Ads. I dont believe there were any adverts for the Barina XC.
As for Astra Replacement thats not happening. The AH has been on the market for over 12 months now but Holden isnt pulling the pin on the car.

Its all about value for money shaun, so the Barina is sub $12, i'd pay more bucks for a better car. Do you think holden would sell more Barinas if they are priced below $12 or sell more because they are a well designed and built car.

Dee
19th December 2005, 02:24 PM
the onyl add that i have seen for the XC barina is the "Just Cars" ad

"Just got your licence"

*shows girl driving out of garage in a red barina with horns drawn on her head* http://www.justcarinsurance.com.au/images/image_left_barina_girl.jpg

"Just cars insurance
13 13 26"

Shaun
19th December 2005, 02:28 PM
Its all about value for money shaun, so the Barina is sub $12, i'd pay more bucks for a better car. Do you think holden would sell more Barinas if they are priced below $12 or sell more because they are a well designed and built car.

Do i need to point out that small Cheap cars sell well. Hyundai Proved that with there Excel i think. I work in the Motor Vehicle Industry for Daimler Chrysler. Holden are after one thing and one thing only. Market share in all sectors of the market. Read Fridays Sydney Daily Telegraph drive section. They cant survive on The Commodore Sales alone. They need a stronger hold in the market over all otherwise the imported cars end up costing Holden more in the long run. Hence why they have moved to a Daewoo product as the new Barina. The Barina is now marketed at small familys that need the a second cheap car to run around in or the young teenager thats got there p's or on there full licence that want something easy to park and drive around in or someone that want a new car but have a repayment that they can meet and afford with out comprimising there budget or lifestyle. People here bagged the Viva out when it came on the Market there selling well from what im told. Old saying is You pay for what you get. Any person buying a car for about the 12K mark would understand that they are not going to get the features or the quality of a car thats worth 60k.

As for the XC with Auto being that price its due to the fact they are running out the XC Barina. Run out models will alway be lower then retail . even more so with the XC Barina as they have already realised the new model. The Barina is now set to go head to head with the likes of the Hyundai Getz in the Price range they have sat it in.

Red AH SRI T
19th December 2005, 06:26 PM
I may be wrong here, but...

Wasn't the Beep-Beep Barina ad for the Suzuki based Barina...!!!

yes, but also when the SB barina first came out there was a big Beep Beep advertising push

Shaun
19th December 2005, 07:27 PM
yes, but also when the SB barina first came out there was a big Beep Beep advertising push
Who made the SB?

typetnt
19th December 2005, 07:48 PM
The XC Barina had a commercial I believe. It was the Bull fighting ad campaign that Holden held for a few months. The Barinas all drove out like bulls ready for a tournament or something and Holden were advertising the nice price for it.
Correct me if I'm wrong though! :)

Shaun
19th December 2005, 07:51 PM
The XC Barina had a commercial I believe. It was the Bull fighting ad campaign that Holden held for a few months. The Barinas all drove out like bulls ready for a tournament or something and Holden were advertising the nice price for it.
Correct me if I'm wrong though! :)
Thats correct i think.

andrew
19th December 2005, 08:09 PM
And they had an ad like a fox hunt the SRi was the fox and they were on horse back with dog after it. theat ad was about 2 years ago.

01CDsedan
19th December 2005, 09:33 PM
And there was the ad when they decontented the XC and dropped the price, with the car driving around the shipping containers on the docks. This was 1-2 years ago.

pred8r
19th December 2005, 11:45 PM
the SB Barina was built by opel - Corsa B

Ok if GM wanted to bring in a cheaper car for 'families' as a second car, why then didnt they bring the Reva?
its an Electric car, costs $0.09/100kms to run, would be in a similar price bracket but damn wouldnt they be stepping on BIG toes then?

[Insert Rant]
Strange considering almost every other major country offers a rebate/incentive for alternative powered vehicles that we dont. But then maybe GM & Ford would leave, BFD, when the government has LET every other major manufacturer import everything and basically become a distributor for OS product with no manufacturing done here anymore anyway.
An 'Australian' Built car PUH-LEEZE, the electronics are either european or US sourced, the wipers come from china, the trim would too, aussie ASSEMBLED yes I'd agree with but to try and claim that everything was done here or even to infer it, we SHOULD be insulted. They are all multinational companies and probably big enough that their MAINTANCE bill alone is higher than Australias income from tax. The door handles for the commodore are probably off a saturn geo anyway.

HMMPH
[Rant off]

ronj
20th December 2005, 12:38 PM
I believe that you should get a quality vehicle for under 12k. sure i would not expect the top quality and features of a $60k car. people may buy the new Barina because of the price but if the quality and reliability is not there they will avoid it in droves.Its interesting that you are in the motor industry and you have the opinion that buyers dont expect quality at lower prices. But in saying all this time will tell, lets see how the Barinas sales figures match up against the slightly more expensive alternatives.

CJB
20th December 2005, 01:13 PM
For some reason... $12,990 to me sounds cheap and nasty, where as $13,990 seems more of a good deal.

Maybe the next gen Daewoo Barina will improve a bit more. I think if they wanted to do this, they should have opted for the new design Kalos/Aveo/Gentra or whatever. Why use an older model when a new one is being released next year, or has it been released now?

I don't imagine the sedan will do too well either. Look at the Echo sedan, only old woman seem to drive them here in Queensland - but then again, they say we are an aging country, therefore more of a market for these little sedan bubbles.

Is there a sales figure already or will there be one soon? I'd like to see their sales and expected sales in a comparison table actually. Same with the Viva, and the Astra H.

The other XC ad more recently was an ultra blue model and a red one and maybe a black one driving around a dark city flashing their lights parking and stuff.

Dee
20th December 2005, 01:28 PM
never saw that ad crispy, i do remember the others tho...

btm
20th December 2005, 01:30 PM
i remember that one crispix (so don't worry, you're not seeing things again) :)

CJB
20th December 2005, 01:49 PM
Cool - was starting to wonder....

yeah it was on, like a month ago, maybe two months ago. Was late this year anyways. A car I don't see advertised anymore, the Astra H.

I hate the new Barina ad though. So silly, yet I can't help but watch and puke.

Yes Mr T the beep beep started because on the Suzuki based Barina's they added looney tunes characters to the car, Road Runner more specifically. Then when the SB came out, didn't they do the beep beep in the form of writing it on the back of the car or the horn noises in the ads.

Then the super freak came out in 1997 didn't it when they all converted to the 1.4 and got body coloured bumpers... around the time that the cabrio came out.

Dee
20th December 2005, 01:57 PM
wow crispy is really up on his barina general knowledge :)

maybe you shoul go on "Australia's Brainiest Kid" next year and wow them all with your knowledge of Barinas :rofl: that would be hiliarious

CJB
20th December 2005, 02:05 PM
wow crispy is really up on his barina general knowledge :)

maybe you shoul go on "Australia's Brainiest Kid" next year and wow them all with your knowledge of Barinas :rofl: that would be hiliarious
ha ha. I get bored at work and sometimes I try not to spam so much and one day I found a link and I read all about the Barina history. Found it all through google! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Barina

edited link into the post!

Dee
20th December 2005, 02:31 PM
useless fact: i used to have a MF Barina... 1991 model, 1.3L engine with no power at all

CJB
20th December 2005, 02:35 PM
useless fact: i used to have a MF Barina... 1991 model, 1.3L engine with no power at all
"Beep Beep" Donna

*pokes tongue out and runs*

Useless fact: I had two SB Barina's... I am a super freak :p

Dee
20th December 2005, 02:45 PM
or super silly for going back and getting another one :D

rob had an SB... it was the goldy-greeny babypoo colour apparently... i couldnt see him in that...

CJB
20th December 2005, 02:49 PM

rob had an SB... it was the goldy-greeny babypoo colour apparently... i couldnt see him in that...
yeah I am still waiting to see pics of that! I had two silver ones... identical. But he suits the Astra.

The SB compared to the XC was small. Oh well. BG was the girls name wasn't it, that did the super freak ads, that carton girl.

I don't like the new one though... a car doesn't play basketball, especially not a Daewoo!!! Let's keep the ads realistic, like super freak :p

I am reading on google that they spent $1 million on that TV ad. It's a funny site so I won't believe it till I read it elsewhere.

CJB
20th December 2005, 02:54 PM
a questionable review of the Barina?

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=10724&vf=0&bg=8&pp=1

Dee
20th December 2005, 02:57 PM
yeah Barina Girl or something...

i must say that when i was buying my last car (barina) in 2003, i didnt even know that the XC was released... even though it had been around for 2 years, i didnt see many and didnt see any ads tho, maybe because they were so expensive back then. they were will $20+ when i bought mine in July 03, i got it for less thank god... otherwise i still would have been driving the MF

Dee
20th December 2005, 02:59 PM
ohhhhhhhh the first line

"Just because it wears a Holden badge is no guarantee of quality, writes BILL McKINNON."

thats nasty

rated 2 stars = "2 stars: Just transport"

ohhhh that hurt

CJB
20th December 2005, 03:00 PM
Thank god for your discovery :p

I remember the first time I saw an XC, a white one from the ACT parked down the street. I thought it was the ugliest thing I had ever seen. I didn't even like the City version until the girl next door moved in :p she had a white 1995 model. I liked it, so I bought a 1999 model when we moved out.

I don't really remember the ads for the XC in the early days. My first knowledge of the SXI came from when they were usually doing end of financial year run out ads.

In fact, Holden don't seem to market their cars on tv ads like they use to anymore. None of the big car peeps do.

CJB
20th December 2005, 03:01 PM
ohhhhhhhh the first line

"Just because it wears a Holden badge is no guarantee of quality, writes BILL McKINNON."

thats nasty

rated 2 stars = "2 stars: Just transport"

ohhhh that hurt
The truth hurts doesn't it Donna :p

RapidSRi
20th December 2005, 06:46 PM
We should be dirty with holden for their decision, after all this is Opelaus not Daewooaus.com

btm
20th December 2005, 06:52 PM
We should be dirty with holden for their decision, after all this is Opelaus not Daewooaus.com
amen brother! :)

pred8r
20th December 2005, 08:21 PM

Brocade, didnt age as quick at tiger on the VT though.

Barina girl USED to be BG.com.au, gone now.
And to whoever said realistic, I have never had my hair done by doing donuts. (waits for Cate-o's reply :))

Rumour; SB was convertibled by HSV.

CJB
20th December 2005, 09:54 PM
all I know about the Cabrio is it didn't sell as well as hoped. But I also heard somewhere along the line that it was a HSV thing because they cut the roof off here and modified the car in Australia. I could be speaking sh*t though.

pred8r
20th December 2005, 10:10 PM
all I know about the Cabrio is it didn't sell as well as hoped. But I also heard somewhere along the line that it was a HSV thing because they cut the roof off here and modified the car in Australia. I could be speaking sh*t though.
It didnt sell well because it was a $15k car selling for $25ksomething because it had a soft roof, have it as an option, yes, but $10k+ be realistic.

Probably why the Copen died in the A$$, it should have been sub$20k, and would sell like a rocket, people want a cheap convertible, not an 'exclusive' one.

EL BURITO
20th December 2005, 11:55 PM
Same story i gess the tigra will be in a few years. It costs A LOTS $$$ FOR A 1.8 but god dam i wouldnt mind one

Alfonzo
21st December 2005, 12:48 AM
Well the Tigra seems to be in direct competition with the Peugot 206cc, and I do see a few of those around every now and then. It's not going to be a big seller though, and I'm sure they'll be aware of it. And while there's no auto option, it's not going to sell any faster, come to think of it.

Why Holden decided to bring a small market Opel over here and then serve chicken feed to the masses is beyond me.

I shall leave this post where it is now, otherwise I'll probably be ranting for another two hours (and I need sleep!!!!!!!)

EL BURITO
21st December 2005, 12:51 AM
tigra is prob the closest i am going to get to a corsa D. And butting it that way Holden are really puzzerling