PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2 Review

extralarge
2nd January 2004, 05:57 PM
For those shopping for tyres on your astra, this is my opinion on the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2.

Was- 195/60R15 Dunlop SP Sport 200E 88H A A A

Currently - 205/50R16 Goodyears 87W A A A - 2,000kms done

In comparison, the goodyears have offered slightly better grip, much better high speed stability (W rated cf H), and their stiffer sidewalls have given the car less body movement. Wet grip is similar to dry. Tyre wear is normal.

The goodyears however, marginally create more noise, and from the plus fitment, its a firmer ride as you'd expect. The dunlops were more on the quiet side and gave a much better, cushioned ride.

What i haven't found is that the goodyears are not confidence inspiring around corners and gives poorer steering feel compared to the dunlops. The goodyears also gave little warning before they lost their grip. I was hoping to get tyres that stuck to the road with excellent cornering abililty.

For the looks (sidewall and tread), grip and better cornering ability, i would recommend the goodyears over the dunlops, especially when the goodyears turn up to be ~$50 less per tyre.

Anonymous
2nd January 2004, 06:10 PM
I'm Pretty One eyed when it comes to Tyres. And theres only one tyre to Use. Falken Azenis(Can't remember Codes) theres 2 types, A Semi Slick which unless you try conering in more 3" deep water they'll let go and Theres a Directional Monsoon Wet/Dry and they stick in what ever ya give 'em, But the Semi Slick is the Best. And They're reasonably Priced(If ya know where to get them. I pay $206 a Tyre(205/50/16), But I've Heard you can expect up $400 a Tyre. Putting Frankly, You'll never find a Better Street Legal Tyre unless you Use Hoosiers or Dunlop XXXXX Slicks. :D

SmellyTofu
2nd January 2004, 06:30 PM
Kid, how noisy are they? I heard it's a rumble noise rather than a whining noise like the FM901. That true? Would you consider them for a Sydney to Melbourne trip without breaking an ear drum? I'm considering either the RT215 (the semi) and the GSD2 (as a cheap runabout tyre) though I'm just so indifferent as to what to get. I know up this way you can get them for $170 or so each (the RT215) and has the same wear index as the stock Michelin MXM so they have to at least last over 49,000km (which is what the Michelins have lasted so far with another 1-1.5mm to go).

Anonymous
2nd January 2004, 11:04 PM
I was using the RT215(semi Slicks).http://www.rsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/all_gifs/Turbo%20page%20gifs/azenis_tire.jpg
They aren't the quietest Rubber when cold or New, But after warmed up and worn in they are pretty quiet for what they are.
The ST115(Directional)http://www.xtremetna.com/falkenst11502.jpg are supposed to be Quiet as a mouse, I've only ever seen 1 vehicle(Audi S2) with them on at Sandown. The Grip on them is nearly as good as RT215 but they go off quicker due too the Pattern and Compound.

SmellyTofu
2nd January 2004, 11:10 PM
I know the ST115 are damn quiet.. I've been in a car with it... maybe a good comprimise anyway between street comfort, performance and price. Sydney's roads aren't as well maintained as Melbourne's ones.

Hardware BoB
3rd January 2004, 03:28 PM
the RT215's wear quick, if you're driving a fast car and you like to push it to the limit, get the RT215, but if you do a lot of normal driving, get the ST, because the RT's are noisy, wear quickly, and aren't very good when cold (however have excellent) grip
they occupy a strange spot between "street" tyres, and actual "R" tyres, like the dunlop formula R or the yokohama A032R They're not as good as these tyres by a long shot but have a lot more wear, and are more 'streetable'

George Costanza
3rd January 2004, 03:33 PM
I've got the ST115's. So far they've been great. Low noise, good grip.

Too bad our roads (Sydney) are crap. I wonder where all that money goes? :P

I hope that helps.

SmellyTofu
3rd January 2004, 10:42 PM
I've got the ST115's. So far they've been great. Low noise, good grip.

Too bad our roads (Sydney) are crap. I wonder where all that money goes? :P

I hope that helps.

How r they in the wet? I heard they were quite crap compared to the old GRb II.

Where does our money go? Remember the 3x3? where's all that? and all that money.. into consolidated revenue to fund everything else but roads.

The holes that are at the corner before the entrance of the Anzac Bridge (into the city) is one you've got to watch. I've bottomed the car out big time there and hopefully haven't cracked the alloys coz of it. It's right in the sweet spot on the outside of the corner and unless you know it well (and run wide), you'll cop a big thump even on stock suspensions and rubber.