PDA

View Full Version : Article - Toyota to overtake GM - Agence France-Presse

blackSRi
8th December 2005, 07:09 PM
http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,10166,17501211-462,00.html

From correspondents in Tokyo
December 08, 2005

TOYOTA Motor plans to boost output to 8.9 million vehicles in 2006, raising the possibility it will overtake struggling General Motors as the world's biggest automaker very soon, a report says.

The Japanese automaker, which is set to announce its new production plan on December 20, has decided to raise its group output to some 8.9 million units from 8.28 units planned for 2005, the Asahi Shimbun newspaper said.
As Toyota has been conservative in drafting production plans, actual output is likely to near 9 million units, the daily said, without citing sources.

The higher output could mean Toyota will take the crown of top automaker as early as next year, depending on how General Motors recovers in the key North American market, it said.

GM, which has announced plant closures and other restructuring plans for 2006, is likely to keep reducing its output while Toyota expects higher production in Japan, China and the US.

GM plans to produce 9.08 million vehicles in 2005, down from 9.098 million in 2004.

A Toyota spokesman said the company would have no comment until the official announcement of its 2006 production plan at the customary year-end news conference on December 20.
Toyota manufactured a total of 6.83 million vehicles in the 10 months to October this year, up 9 per cent from a year earlier.

Toyota and other Japanese automakers have reaped in profits in the US by pioneering hybrids and other eco-friendly cars. They have since moved cautiously, fretting that too aggressive expansion in the United States would provoke a political backlash

Mr T
9th December 2005, 09:31 AM
It's interesting to note also that Toyota's principals are based on the advice given by Dr Edwards Deming in the 1950's (a swiss born american) and they are still kicking goals...

In the last 5 years, Toyota has been the only Top 4 Manufacturer to grow its sales...and they are growing (by count of units) at the fastest rate of all manufacturers, Hyundai are the second fastest but are growing by the largest percentage.

Anyway GM, Ford and Daimler hold the other spots in the top 4 but have not gown in 5 years in fact Ford are selling less cars now than 5 years ago. Which is pretty ordinary considering the world demand for cars has risen by approximately 20% in that period.

Why, you may ask...because they listen, they have adopted a philosophy of Continuous Improvement in conjunction with Total Quality Management.

Dee
9th December 2005, 09:33 AM
thats great and all, but stupid australia are discontinuing the Corolla Sportivo stock, the great, cheap, small, sporty car they had

*waves goodbye to any new sportivos* :(

blackSRi
9th December 2005, 02:44 PM
What? No 'tivo? When's that happening - I need to get a new car in Jan! Hmm, will I be able to get an Astra VXR - or maybe I should just go a Polo GTi...

Dee
9th December 2005, 02:47 PM
very soon... if they havnt already stopped production

the VXR might be out by jan... expensive insurance on that tho... bit of a bummer

blackSRi
9th December 2005, 03:15 PM
Insurance not a prob - I will get it covered as a leased vehicle with Lumley (whatever I get).

Shaun
20th December 2005, 07:35 PM
As for cars being dropped of production if that happened its very unlikely. To much money has been spent on R&D on the VXR for the Pin to be pulled. they have to recover some money as the cost of putting a vehicle into productions is astronmical. i think the Sportivo was dropped for same reasons the MR2. There engines werent producing the power that they claimed to be and they Have stopped production till the problem is fixed.

Daimler Chryslers hold the Number one Spot in Heavy Vehcles. thats where the core busniess is . Cars are there smaller busniess . but they keep it as it gives them strenght in other areas.