PDA

View Full Version : K & N

ZC_74
7th December 2005, 05:40 PM
Went to an Autobarn today to buy a K & N filter for my new car (ZC Vectra). Their response - never been one imported to OZ through our distributor. I find this very hard to believe. The other comment made was that if I bought one from ebay for example (one specified for a C) that it would not necessarily fir because our airbox may be different. I find this one hard to believe also.

Any views or thoughts.

stevedee3
7th December 2005, 09:08 PM
Any views or thoughts.The first bit sounds plausible but the second bit doesn't.

R3N
7th December 2005, 09:12 PM
All you need is the K&N part number and you're on your way. btw there was a research done on the filtering capabilities of various aftermarket filters, nothing good has been said about the K&Ns, particularly about it letting in more dirt than a standard paper filter.

ZC_74
7th December 2005, 09:15 PM
All you need is the K&N part number and you're on your way. btw there was a research done on the filtering capabilities of various aftermarket filters, nothing good has been said about the K&Ns, particularly about it letting in more dirt than a standard paper filter.
So what would your suggestion be? Every new car I have bought, the first thing I have done is buy a K & N and never had any problems.

R3N
7th December 2005, 09:24 PM
standard paper filter :D

any gains would be negligable, money better off spent on a nice sounding exhaust :p

besides, if the oil from the K&N were to get into the piping, it would fk up the AFM

RapidSRi
7th December 2005, 11:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with K&N, go for it

InsaneAsylum
8th December 2005, 08:26 AM
a lot of the time at automotive/tyre/accessories places, they will tell you that it doesn't exist because their too slack to do the work. laziest mother f*ckers ever

MK
8th December 2005, 11:35 AM
Hi,

this is what i could find on K&N website:
Year-Make-Model-EngineSize PartNumber
2005 OPEL Vectra C 1.9L L4 DSL - All Automotive Air Filter 33-2848

not sure if it helps, maybe you can check the K&N website for yourself, this way you know what you are looking for...

Take care,
Marcin

mr_sikma
8th December 2005, 01:30 PM
they may not be listed as vectra or whatever as such

but i know skylines and commys use the same ones, so you may have to do the same

or ebay.co.uk alot cheaper on there too!

ZC_74
8th December 2005, 09:46 PM
Hi,

this is what i could find on K&N website:
Year-Make-Model-EngineSize PartNumber
2005 OPEL Vectra C 1.9L L4 DSL - All Automotive Air Filter 33-2848

not sure if it helps, maybe you can check the K&N website for yourself, this way you know what you are looking for...

Take care,
Marcin

Yeah this is the number I got also but still same response from Autobarn. It will be a UK deal I think.

Degen-Astra
8th December 2005, 09:50 PM
I had the exact response from Autobarn for my 2.2 Astra. "Never sold one and our distributor says that they havent imported one".

mr_sikma
9th December 2005, 12:06 PM
but if they really wanted too they could.

i was told there was no such thing for my barina!

MK
9th December 2005, 12:10 PM
What about other retailers? Repco for example... or maybe http://www.tccamotorsport.com.au/ or even better, K&N themselves, their website has a reseller\dealer locator.

Alfonzo
9th December 2005, 02:36 PM
I had the same response from AB when I bought one for my C22SEL powered Veccy B. I said "Right, import one then." They then went on to tell me I'd have to pay for the shipping, and originally I was fine with it. I went to K&N's website and found the part number for it from their online system (remember, it's an Opel ;), double check by measuring your bog stock filter with the specs on the site) and gave that number to them directly.

Long story short I didn't actually get it from them, they took to fkn long to order it. So I ended up buying it from somewhere online.

Give Rocket Industries a bell (www.rocketindustries.com.au (http://www.rocketindustries.com.au)), they're the Australian supplier. From memory you can buy from them directly, and it'll help them a great deal if you just give them the part number you want.

Good luck, the gains are minimal but my car makes a "cute" little whine now when the revs are up a bit, and I quite like that.

ZC_74
9th December 2005, 08:02 PM
I had the same response from AB when I bought one for my C22SEL powered Veccy B. I said "Right, import one then." They then went on to tell me I'd have to pay for the shipping, and originally I was fine with it. I went to K&N's website and found the part number for it from their online system (remember, it's an Opel ;), double check by measuring your bog stock filter with the specs on the site) and gave that number to them directly.

Long story short I didn't actually get it from them, they took to fkn long to order it. So I ended up buying it from somewhere online.

Give Rocket Industries a bell (www.rocketindustries.com.au (http://www.rocketindustries.com.au)), they're the Australian supplier. From memory you can buy from them directly, and it'll help them a great deal if you just give them the part number you want.

Good luck, the gains are minimal but my car makes a "cute" little whine now when the revs are up a bit, and I quite like that.

You see this is the problem. Autobarn told me that they didn't even have a number for it. He checked the Ryco book - same deal. I then showed him how to look it up on the K & N website. Got a part number and he rang rocket. No luck. But would find out a price and get back to me. I've seen them for sale on ebay. I think that's where I'm going.

ZC_74
14th December 2005, 07:34 PM
Can anyone tell me if a K & N induction kit would void Holden Warranty. Not a panel but the proper full kit (pipe, fittings, cone filter)

mr_sikma
14th December 2005, 08:56 PM
well i think in some states its illegal so anything illegal would most probably void ya warranty.

they could say that it sucked up some crap off the road, therefore we arent giving you a new motor, etc

doubt that, but maybe!

Alfonzo
15th December 2005, 11:19 AM
I believe if you got POD induction in QLD you need to have a little shield around the actual filter. Not sure about other states and legalities though, although I think it might have some effect on the warranty, yeah...