PDA

View Full Version : SRi Astra buying tips

scroobles
1st December 2005, 03:32 PM
Hi guys and gals,

I'm considering switching my current motor for an Astra SRi, and I'm wondering if anyone has any buying tips, or problems to look out for on these models? I'd prefer an 03 as I much prefer the look of the 5 spoke wheels, but I'm still open to the older models.

So, a few questions if that's ok:

What, if anything, are the differences in the MY01, 02 and 03 cars?
How difficult is it to change to stereo over in these cars? I can't be without my MP3 discs ...
Can the MFD be retained for a new stereo? The steering wheel controls?
What sort of prices should I be looking at? - the car websites seem to go from 15k to 30k (even for non-turbo versions)
Are there any major services that I need to be wary of? timing belts, etc

My current car is an 01 VXII SS, and as much as I love this car, I need to downsize for a while, save some dough, but not be caught with a car with a steep depriciation. I'll miss the power and the size, I'm sure, but these things come and go ...

Thanks for any help!

Cheers!

oneightoo
1st December 2005, 05:28 PM
mate, i had an 03 SRi and by far it was the ebst car i ever bought, got it brand spanking new, paid $33k for it, sold it a few months ago for $19k.. resale on one if you bought it new aint that good since the turbo came out, but buying second hand is the way to go..

mine was immaculate condition and only 35,000km's and $19k was the ebst offer i had in 6 months of trying to sell.. so i took it..

as for the steering wheel controls and changing the head unit.. not a problem, you can get an adaptor for most head units so can use your controls, but you dont get the display in the dash..

dont worry about the timing belt, you dont have one, the SRi is chain driven.. just keep your fluids checked up on and the correct pressure in your tyres and you will never have a problem with an SRi..

hope this helps

Degen-Astra
1st December 2005, 06:18 PM
Firstly Congrats at looking at such a neat car.

I bought my SRi new in 2004 (MY03 model) and have loved it ever since. The torque of it is really nice. Although the power is down some what compared to similar or even lesser sized motors.

Apparently a possible issue lays with the Cam Timing Chain.
I draw your attention to this post - http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6196

I have not yet experienced this concern.

Differences between 2001-02 to 2003.
Okay...firstly RIMS.
2001-02 = Twin spoked five spoke 16's
2003 = Five Spoke (Spanner) 16's

Interior
Seats
2001-02 = Pull out thigh supports
2003 = No thigh supports

These are really the most notable and noticiable differences in the model years.

Stereo - If you buy certain types of Blaupunkt Stereos you can retain all functions including display, Steering wheel controls AND dimming control! (My Fave!), but as 182 says...adaptors can be bought for most other brands for the controls only.

People asking over $24-25 k are kidding themselves. I bought mine brand new for $26k on the road in June 2004, as most dealers just wanted to get rid of them when there was only a few left mid last year.

Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck with the purchase.

scroobles
1st December 2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys - that's really useful.

As for the MFD - if found this UK site that seems to be selling adaptors that will let you use the screen with a kenwood unit

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=279

- am I misreading it or something? Are these different to the ones we get here?

Cheers

Degen-Astra
1st December 2005, 09:07 PM
Which part do you mean?

In Vauxhall/Opel's there are 2 versions of the MFD. The ones we have in Aust. only have Time/Date/Temp - Stereo displays

There are MFD's that show travel details like MPG, Distance to empty, etc as well as the aforementioned info.

Is that what your misreading in regards to the differering types?

scroobles
1st December 2005, 09:31 PM
sorry to sound like a fool with this one ... the site mentiones:

Compatible with 'TID' (rectangular) type dashboard displays only

Not compatible with 'CID' (square mono-colour) or 'GID' (square multi-colour) type displays

So - do local cars have a TID, CID or GID?

rjastra
2nd December 2005, 09:45 AM
The only thing i can think of was that they deleted the alloy spare from later models. Also they fitted the car with cheaper Pirelli P6000 rather than the exxy Michelin Pilot HX.

Later models has the chrome rings on the instruments.

I've had mine for 4+ yrs and 65000km and it has been one of the best cars I have had.

Currently fitted with Koni sports and a rear antiroll bar.

Unless Holden bring out the new Sri turbo soon I am looking to trade over to a new Polo Gti. Inexpensive for what you get and the engine has a billion power up options it seems.

JohnBu
5th December 2005, 04:26 PM
The only thing i can think of was that they deleted the alloy spare from later models. Also they fitted the car with cheaper Pirelli P6000 rather than the exxy Michelin Pilot HX.

Later models has the chrome rings on the instruments.

I've had mine for 4+ yrs and 65000km and it has been one of the best cars I have had.

Currently fitted with Koni sports and a rear antiroll bar.

Unless Holden bring out the new Sri turbo soon I am looking to trade over to a new Polo Gti. Inexpensive for what you get and the engine has a billion power up options it seems.

what will the Polo GTi cost on road... they are $27k which i think is good value with the 1.8L turbo thats been around for 10 years or so.. good potential.. but servicing wont be cheap..