PDA

View Full Version : Insurance companies suck on rim choice

pred8r
30th November 2005, 11:47 PM
I thought today Id look for a new set of wheels today.
I found them in 17"x7" to suit my car;
http://www.speedywheels.com.au/images/wheels/spyder.jpg
Anyway got a price($1500 inc tyres) and thought id just check with the insurance company to see if im still covered, their reply;
"Yes sir you can have any width you want as long as its 6" or less in width".

I rang another one, they said check VicRoads.

After arguing with the VR modification safety 'expert' over the fact my car COMES with 16"x6" from factory, he then concedes that I can have 7" width.

Ring company 2 again "VR said yes its ok, so will you cover me and how much?", "Yes, we will and its $1200/yr", "Ok, Ill get back to you".

Ring mine back, "Will you cover me....7" width?",
"No, 6" is maximum for that car",
"So even though VR says its ok and another insurance co. will cover me, you wont?",
"Thats correct",
"How much am i currently paying per year?",
"$850 sir"

What a dilemma, fork out $1500 for new rims/tyres PLUS an extra $350/yr for an insurance company to cover me, makes choosing a new set of wheels too hard and expensive.
Im just glad I didnt buy them first.

aussie_in_london
1st December 2005, 12:00 AM
mate what it comes down to is
"computer says NO" LOL
insurance companies are a joke.

R3N
1st December 2005, 12:18 AM
ARGH!@!

Just typed a whole paragraph and bumped the damn back button on my mouse.

1) Ring them again, maybe someone else will be more helpful
2) Try more companies, you'd be surprised
3) Rims look hawt, suits the euro look, get them! They're worth it!

btm
1st December 2005, 08:08 AM
ARGH!@!

Just typed a whole paragraph and bumped the damn back button on my mouse.
so why didnt you then just hit the 'forward' button...??

Streetlights
1st December 2005, 08:49 AM
Hmmm, that's weird. I recently got a set of 18's and RACV said it didn't effect my policy at all as long as they were no more than 8 inches wide. I think it added about $2 to yearly cost of my insurance which they wrote off, so it cost me nothing.

Dee
1st December 2005, 12:15 PM
i had the same deal with RACQ and RACV with my old car. as long as the wheels were legal they were ok with them and there was no increase in premium, or excess

blueraven
1st December 2005, 01:22 PM
Hmmm, that's weird. I recently got a set of 18's and RACV said it didn't effect my policy at all as long as they were no more than 8 inches wide. I think it added about $2 to yearly cost of my insurance which they wrote off, so it cost me nothing.

mine added $11 :(

haha :D

anicorsa
1st December 2005, 01:55 PM
Those rim's are sweet...

But word of warning.... I had similar multispoke wheels on mine, and they are the biggest bitch to clean. Getting a sponge in those spokes is a pain in the arse.

pred8r
1st December 2005, 07:11 PM
Those rim's are sweet...

But word of warning.... I had similar multispoke wheels on mine, and they are the biggest bitch to clean. Getting a sponge in those spokes is a pain in the arse.
Thats what im thinking too, but its washed every week or 2 anyway. But i did do a tyre rotate on the 5spoke sri's and they are a bitch to clean too, all that flat surface. (i could go retro and get centerlines :) )

The expensive insurance company was racv, Im just tossing up wether i feel spending $350/yr EXTRA just for the 'privelige' of owning non-stock oversized wheels.

It peeves me off that 17x7 was also a factory option O/S.

Streetlights
1st December 2005, 07:59 PM
I'd ring them again. As I said earlier, if they are less than 8 inches wide, they shouldn't have a problem with them.

ultim8DTM5
1st December 2005, 09:07 PM
If you are paying less than $1k p/a for wheels you are cheering.

Dee
2nd December 2005, 09:27 AM
wow RACV were the expensive ones... i found they were cheaper by about $100 with my barina and now with the Stivo, thats a bit of a shame

mr_sikma
2nd December 2005, 09:40 PM
not bad mags

like the speedy hyperfangs and a type of the simmons, OM's i think!

pred8r
2nd December 2005, 11:24 PM
I'd ring them again. As I said earlier, if they are less than 8 inches wide, they shouldn't have a problem with them.

According to Vicroads, 1" from standard width is acceptable, diameter is irrelevant but now seems based on a maximum increase in tyre diameter (of 15%) based on whats on the tyre placard(?). Funny thing though is ADRs IIRC are 1" from standard in both diameter and width but with an overall track width increase of only 1".

I tried, my current one who shall remain nameless (allianz) have said "Any performance based modifications to the car will render it uninsurable by us."
I couldnt help thinking "why do you think i bought the sports model you tool"

I did find it funny that I got into an argument with the VicRoads vehicle safety bloke as to whether or not my car came with 16"x6" as standard from factory.

ecstasy
3rd December 2005, 02:10 PM
i had a chat with AMII and they said as the rolling diameter is same it's all good. I guess is bull**** from States and Insurance companies. thou i'm still looking for a set of 19's with the right offset.

pred8r
7th December 2005, 12:34 AM
Id like to thank my old insurance company for giving a reason to look for a new one.

By them doing this Ive managed to find someone who (because of my age) doesnt really care what mods are/will-be done to my car.

My new insurance company, AAMI, is also $466/yr as opposed to $900/yr so even after cancelling my policy, my refund from the old one will almost completely cover the new policy for the year.

So again thank you, Allianz, for being so thorough with your underwriting guidelines. I commend your customer service team for enabling such a positive consumer outcome and that i had the good fortune to be a such major part of it.

GeeeAus
7th December 2005, 12:53 AM
Id like to thank my old insurance company for giving a reason to look for a new one.

By them doing this Ive managed to find someone who (because of my age) doesnt really care what mods are/will-be done to my car.

My new insurance company, AAMI, is also $466/yr as opposed to $900/yr so even after cancelling my policy, my refund from the old one will almost completely cover the new policy for the year.

So again thank you, Allianz, for being so thorough with your underwriting guidelines. I commend your customer service team for enabling such a positive consumer outcome and that i had the good fortune to be a such major part of it.

MMMM Sassy.....

low astra
7th December 2005, 05:27 PM
Those rim's are sweet...

hahah dude get ya girlfriend 2 wash em,

and dont worrie bout the insurence 2 much just get em and tell them there standard they never noticed my old hilux had air bags and a c-notch when it went in after getting hit up the backside,
they dont realy know as much as they claim 2

pred8r
7th December 2005, 09:02 PM
hahah dude get ya girlfriend 2 wash em,

and dont worrie bout the insurence 2 much just get em and tell them there standard they never noticed my old hilux had air bags and a c-notch when it went in after getting hit up the backside,
they dont realy know as much as they claim 2

That accident wasnt your fault. If it was it may have been a different issue.

I also think its basically the assessor at the time and how his/her day has been, their stress at home and whether or not the panelshop your car is at has given them a hard time before. And of course their budget/quota of repairs.