PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Uk...

mr_sikma
24th November 2005, 02:14 PM
Hey,

I have seen a few posts with people talking about Ebay UK. Does anyone use it?

I use EBAY AUS and buy alot of stuff, but there isnt much Opel stuff, just the odd badge etc. I know a guy on here sells some stuff on there, but he said he hasnt got alot of stock left.

So do the people on the UK send stuff to AUS?

Also i found this Currency Calculator if anyone needs it...

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

And here is the site in question...

www.ebay.co.uk

Thanks

mr_sikma
24th November 2005, 02:18 PM
Just found this K&N panel filter (postage: worldwide)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-HIGH-FLOW-Air-Filter-VAUXHALL-CORSA-C-MERIVA-TIGRA_W0QQitemZ4590822400QQcategoryZ10404QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

About $115- to your door! I think i got quoted about the $130- mark here at my local car store!

oneightoo
24th November 2005, 02:38 PM
i just got a K&N panel filter for my calibra at autobarn and it was $120, they didnt have it in stock, but they got it in for me the next day..

R3N
24th November 2005, 02:38 PM
Ok...

Its pretty obvious that there are very little parts available locally, if at all they would have a huge mark up. Its cheaper to buy through eBay, pay all the shipping etc and it'll still work out cheaper.

Here's what you need to know. Go through ebay.com.au per usual and when you click search, tick the box that says show Worldwide, the items that come up are from sellers who ARE WILLING TO POST OVERSEAS, so just email them for a price on shipping. Also if you go through ebay.com.au, they automatically convert the prices for you even if it is in pounds, euros or USD.

If you must use a currency converter, use xe.com ... much better

It works out cheaper to get in a group buy as the costs of shipping can be shared, just like the eyelids group buy we did a few months back.

oneightoo
24th November 2005, 02:39 PM
but to answer your question, yes i've used ebay uk, just make sure that they will post to australia and the cost of postage.. also be prepared to have to wait a while for it to come.. sometimes it will be quick and sometimes it can take a few weeks..

mr_sikma
24th November 2005, 02:54 PM
oh ok.

i ahve used ebay a bit, but only for sigma parts so i have never searched out of aus!

i will definietly be checking it out,a nd maybe get a group buy for the K&N filters or something.

cheers R3N!!!

BassyAstra
24th November 2005, 03:10 PM
Never had real troubles, if you need more specific help just holla im an ebay veteran like R3N.
I just got Power Seller on my account!!!!!!!
Big up power sellllaaaaaaaaa, which acutally doesnt really mean much except for a nice icon...

mr_sikma
24th November 2005, 04:11 PM
Never had real troubles, if you need more specific help just holla im an ebay veteran like R3N.
I just got Power Seller on my account!!!!!!!
Big up power sellllaaaaaaaaa, which acutally doesnt really mean much except for a nice icon...

what is your name on there? and what do you sell / buy?

BassyAstra
24th November 2005, 04:14 PM
I buy and sell general items Sports-Choice

I used to do Car Audio : challengerelectronics22

mr_sikma
24th November 2005, 04:21 PM
How do you get your parts that you sell? (if you dont mind me asking)

BassyAstra
24th November 2005, 04:47 PM
Which ones?

Namus
24th November 2005, 05:31 PM
generally, i've found that if u multiply the prices by 2.25; you will get the AUD price....this worked at the time when i was buying things off Slim earlier in the year...

EL BURITO
24th November 2005, 09:03 PM
Just ask lots of questions and know wat you are biding on. besides from that i have got every thing i have won within 10 days and had no probs.

mr_sikma
12th December 2005, 09:05 AM
i have been looking around alot in the UK,

and they want to be payed in GBP (pounds) or whatever, how do you do this if you transfer the money into their account?

Thanks

imay
12th December 2005, 12:27 PM
they want to be payed in GBP (pounds) or whatever, how do you do this if you transfer the money into their account?

Thanks

Get yourself a new debit account through your bank complete with Visa card access, then set up a Paypal account (www.paypal.com) and buy through eBay. Only keep a "floating" balance in this account, that way IF it is accessed by unscrupulous persons misusing the internet, they can only pilfer the cash you have in that account . . . not your life savings! Well, that's the theory anyway.

Ask if the seller uses Paypal. If not walk away. If you debit money to his account it will cost you bank fees here, and him bank fees there, which he is also going to pass on to you (speaking from expereince). Same goes for bank cheques in foreign currency. Bank fees are worse that postage fees!
Some sellers will charge you a "Paypal handling fee" but you are still better off paying that rather than bank fees.

Good luck shopping, but BE CAREFUL. If you want any other "advice" just pm me.

pred8r
12th December 2005, 06:55 PM
If you can help it dont go through the UK, it works out expensive eg. if its a shop add 17.5% VAT (like GST) on top of the item AND postage. To pay only use paypal, its fast/easy and you dont even need to get out of the chair, western union is too expensive/hard.

Instead of uk go through ebay Ireland. They still speak english and are euro currency.

Use babelfish and translate the other EU pages you want, you can ask them questions the same way.

mr_sikma
13th December 2005, 11:21 AM
whats the link for ebay ireland?

they got all the same irmscher gear?

pred8r
13th December 2005, 07:28 PM
www.ebay.ie

Id assume so, its mostly the same sellers selling worldwide anyways.

mr_sikma
13th December 2005, 10:56 PM
do u use that? or just ue ebay.com.au and use advanced search?

pred8r
13th December 2005, 11:43 PM
if you dont sell worldwide your listings dont appear in other countries.

go to motors.ebay.com its the US car section
type autometer hit search
do the same in the .au one, with worldwide checked, youll see what i mean.

dug74
14th December 2005, 12:59 AM
if you want to do a currency conversion...then visit

http://www.xe.net

Cheers
DUG74

mr_sikma
14th December 2005, 11:16 AM
yeah i get ya...

but if they are going to send worldwide they would sell worlwide woudnt they, so it would come up in the search!

pred8r
14th December 2005, 08:49 PM
yeah i get ya...

but if they are going to send worldwide they would sell worlwide woudnt they, so it would come up in the search!
Not always, It never hurts to ask. I had a contact when i was after Autometers who could do them for about 50% the retail cost of them here, delivered to my door. He didnt do worldwide because of the 'high' postage costs, but said if i was happy with the postage, no problems.
This though is the problem im having with EU/UK, no-one wants to post to here regardless of cost, and its extremely hard to get quotes on shipping.

I tried to order some stuff from the uk last night, sorry sir its too large. From the US, no problem sir, its leaving today and will be there in 10-14 days. WHY didnt the US have the corsa c too :(

mr_sikma
14th December 2005, 08:54 PM
yeah would be good.

maybe you can let me know what esle you are after and it mite make it easier if we both order some? i know you are in melbourne but if they send 2 or more to aus at once it may make it easier?

pred8r
14th December 2005, 09:11 PM
My next O/S purchase for the car will probably be either a grille badge or a new grille.

Local though will be wheels and maybe a sunroof (research permitting) the roof I may try and organise a group buy/install if theres enough interest, so to those who read this, EOI? (webasto/Hollandia 300 is most likely, at around $1250 each, single buy)

dug74
14th December 2005, 09:45 PM
My next O/S purchase for the car will probably be either a grille badge or a new grille.

Local though will be wheels and maybe a sunroof (research permitting) the roof I may try and organise a group buy/install if theres enough interest, so to those who read this, EOI? (webasto/Hollandia 300 is most likely, at around $1250 each, single buy)

:D@ research permitting.... i guess you were talkin about me.

Cheers
DUG74

pred8r
14th December 2005, 10:11 PM
:D@ research permitting.... i guess you were talkin about me.

Cheers
DUG74

'research permitting' covers all of my research, heheheh, of which your experience in, are definately going to be a major factor in my decision.

I no longer trust salespeople, since becoming one (and im an honest one. I spend too much time listening to wrong/lies/crap information that someone else has filled their head with and to correct it, is almost impossible, because someone they didnt know told them wrongly)

If you have X product and have personal experience with it and dont gain from a purchase of it then the information is unbiased(mostly) and you are able to make more of an informed decision.

mr_sikma
14th December 2005, 10:23 PM
about the front badge, do you have facelift model?

if so the 10cm round by 12-13cm left to right flash badge will be fine?

pred8r
14th December 2005, 10:25 PM
Prefacelift

mr_sikma
14th December 2005, 10:27 PM
i think the 10 x 13cm badge fits that aswell?

i was told by rmscher-bits that they have the same part number

if it doesnt fir mine you can buy it, lol

mr_sikma
17th December 2005, 11:49 PM
Just signed up with paypal...

to pay in pounds, i have to add a bank acount, then add funds from that account to my paypal.

then transfer the AUS$ into GBP?

sound right?

thanks

oneightoo
18th December 2005, 12:48 AM
dont think so, i just recently bought quite a few things from ebay uk, which hopefully will be delievered shortly, thru paypal, and i havent attached any bank account details..

mr_sikma
18th December 2005, 01:16 AM
can you please explain how you did it?

on ebay it says pay via paypal, then how did you transfer the $$$

was it in pounds or $aus?

oneightoo
18th December 2005, 11:12 AM
when you win an item, go to "My eBay", next the the item will be the price of what you won it for in pounds and also is AUS dollars, click on the "Pay Now" button, it'll take you to the payment screen where you can choose your preferred method out of the options the seller as given you. PayPal is usually always the first one and always selected, make sure it is, then click on the pay now buttin, it'll ask you to login into paypal, just log in and then click on the pay button, and it'll give you a reciept, then just go back to my ebay and you might have to select the item as payment sent..

but paypal will transfer the AUS equivilant of pounds to the seller, you dont have to do anything else..

mr_sikma
19th December 2005, 09:06 AM
someone said it one of the older posts about keeping money in your account?

is this if you set-up a bank account thru paypla or something?

i will have a look now and hope it works!

mr_sikma
20th December 2005, 12:14 PM
ok i just paid for some stuff.

just had to add a credit card and payed by that!

oneightoo
20th December 2005, 12:26 PM
lovely.. glad you were able to get what you need done..

RapidSRi
20th December 2005, 07:10 PM
try LMFVauxhall

they have good stuff, are reliable and answer emails

mr_sikma
20th December 2005, 11:38 PM
try LMFVauxhall

they have good stuff, are reliable and answer emails

will do ;)

EL BURITO
21st December 2005, 12:03 AM
Theres an corsa Irmy grill for 99 pounds on there at the mo they said will post to Aus for another 20 pounds. Ws thinking bout it
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORSA-C-IRMSCHER-FRONT-GRILL_W0QQitemZ8023424032QQcategoryZ43118QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

oneightoo
21st December 2005, 08:04 AM
i just bought a whole heap of stuff from them last week, just waiting for it all to arrive.. yeah they're very good, and they answer emails pretty much straight away which is great..