PDA

View Full Version : VXR vs RS vs GTI 5!!!!

CORZZA
15th November 2005, 10:25 PM
Here it is fellas, witness the supposedly amazing Golf5 GTI getting its backside kicked http://opelownersforum.co.za/forum/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif (as well as the Megane RS)

This is what we can expect at the robots from the new OPC when it arrives http://opelownersforum.co.za/forum/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

VXR vs RS vs GTI.wmv (http://www.zippyvideos.com/7251079582129846/vxr_vs_rs_vs_gti/)

Enjoy

rjastra
15th November 2005, 10:56 PM
iS that the top gear test?

If so... then by all accounts the Megane and Golf are better handlers and have less turbo lag. The Astra only seems to beat them in the dash to 100km/h and top speed

CORZZA
15th November 2005, 11:00 PM
yes it is. its not a bad handler remember its also the driver!!!!

aussie_in_london
16th November 2005, 03:22 AM
and not forgetting
the VXR was the pre production
model with the SRi chassie and suspension
set up

recent UK car mag tests
0-100km
VXR 6.3 sec
GTi 6.5 with DSG 7.2 sec 6 speed manual

SSS_Hoon
16th November 2005, 04:39 AM
dont forget that the vxr has 240bhp where the rs has 220bhp and the Golf has only a mere 200bhp.

overall in that test the golf won though whoo hoo, and i think the golf looks better too.

SSS_Hoon

CORZZA
16th November 2005, 07:40 AM
Back home there is a big rivalry with opel and Vw! VW have just pumped alot of cash into getting the GTI back to its status!

jumbo golf 2 gti was ok

golf 3 GTI a disaster

golf 3 VR6 was even worse considering it was a 2,8 V6 that went nowhere!

At least opel have stayed consistent wirth there performance cars!!!!!!!

btm
16th November 2005, 08:36 AM
nice find corzza...!

InSaNe^Sna1L
16th November 2005, 09:11 AM
The new Golf R32 with the Bora V6 puts out enough to whoop a WRX, and I am sure will be competition for the new VXR.....i still have a soft spot for my old Golf....it was the car i wrote off to get the SRi

JohnBu
16th November 2005, 09:36 AM
The new Golf R32 with the Bora V6 puts out enough to whoop a WRX, and I am sure will be competition for the new VXR.....i still have a soft spot for my old Golf....it was the car i wrote off to get the SRi

the new R32 wouldn't touch the new wrx, std or sti, in terms in speed..
better handling? maybe
looks better? hell yeah
interior quality? for sure
better engine? yeap
more power? depends if you're comparing to wrx or sti
straight line or on track? no...

having said that i'll pick an R32 over a wrx.

Mr T
16th November 2005, 01:25 PM
You wont see this little black duck spending money on Jap Crap ! ! !

I've been in Mz_hoon's Golf 5 GTI....and I like it...R32 to me seems abit over rated (but then I've never been in one) and the VXR...well, I have a soft spot for Quality GM products ! ! !

So, for me...the next negative investment will most likely be a VXR....woot...woot...:D

CORZZA
16th November 2005, 05:04 PM
Ok guys is dont mean to blow my own trumpt but my little corsa gave a R32 carrots and i nailed a Golf 5 GTI robot to robot and then the bugger followed me onto the highway and he only passed me at 225km/h!

This was done in Johannesburg South Africa at altitude which is 2000m above sea level!

aussie_in_london
16th November 2005, 07:24 PM

Eecent German magazine test of the VXR/OPC, Golf R32 & BMW

"Astra VXR/OPC has done an 8 min 38sec round the rIng.... in the wet! Apparently it was foggy on some stages as well.

German Magazine Figures Sport Auto

At Hockenhiem short circuit , Astra 1 18.3 , Golf R32 1 18,4 and BMW 130i 1 19,8

Overall scrores BMW and Astra 42 out of 50 , Golf 36 "

Recent UK car magazine pitted the new WRX against the VXR
they found the VXR could outgun the WRX in the straights but once you hit the twisties the awd shines.

CateO
16th November 2005, 07:24 PM
I saw the rest of this part of the episode a while back .. and altho it seemed all sweet and super @ first, when it came to the handling etc. it looked rather 'shonky'. It wasn't THAT impressive in those terms.
But, its hawt .. so who needs to steer ,,,,,, weeeeeeeeeee

aussie_in_london
16th November 2005, 07:30 PM
dont forget that the vxr has 240bhp where the rs has 220bhp and the Golf has only a mere 200bhp.

overall in that test the golf won though whoo hoo, and i think the golf looks better too.

SSS_Hoon

LOL

yeah yeah

dont forget the other 2 are also lighter in comparison
and the VXR was a pre production model not full spec,
the gti (without losing it on the track lol) also having a
slower lap time with the VXR quicker than the tested
R32, so much for flawed handling, whats that make the R32 lol

http://corsa-c.co.uk/gallery/files/1/0/1/vxr_tg.JPG

aussie_in_london
16th November 2005, 07:34 PM
I saw the rest of this part of the episode a while back .. and altho it seemed all sweet and super @ first, when it came to the handling etc. it looked rather 'shonky'. It wasn't THAT impressive in those terms.
But, its hawt .. so who needs to steer ,,,,,, weeeeeeeeeee

keep in mind one thing

The VXR was running on an SRi chassie and suspension set up
not full spec VXR/ Lotus as per the full production model spec
which mind you still has not been released, and having driven both
a golf GTi and a VXR, the VXR really feels more like a performance car
with the power to back it up where as the GTi felt more like a concervative
family hatch in comparison but still very nice.
approx 3 weeks until mine arrives.

CORZZA
16th November 2005, 07:50 PM
Nice one!

@Cateo the car may not handle as well but its not terrible! all up to the driver!

Mr T
17th November 2005, 10:35 AM
http://corsa-c.co.uk/gallery/files/1/0/1/vxr_tg.JPG

Hmm...level peg with an SL55 and beat the CTS-V...this is no slouch ! ! !

Imma gunna get me one

JohnBu
17th November 2005, 11:44 AM
Recent UK car magazine pitted the new WRX against the VXR
they found the VXR could outrun the WRX in straights but once you hit the twisties the awd shines.

hmmm

I'm not doubting what you read.. but i cant see how the new front drive vxr can outlaunch a wrx

new/old wrx do 0-100 in 5.8 .. while the vxr will be quick, i cant see how a stock fwd car can get enough traction to beat that..

around the twisties, a fwd can keep up i.e. clio sport

what mag was this at?

Mr T
17th November 2005, 12:14 PM
I dont think they are referring to a standing 1/4.

But consider this, if the awd and fwd have similar 1/4 mile times, once you remove the awd's launch advantage the fwd will be quicker. So on a track, the time between corners will be quicker in the fwd, how much quicker...who knows ! ! !

Most wrx's get about 1.8-1.9 60" time...most SRi-T's get about 2.2-2.3 60" time. So for the fwd to be able to do a similar (about 0.1 slower) 1/4 mile after reaching 60" 0.4 seconds slower...the VXR must be a quicker car after the traction issue is resolved!!!

rjastra
17th November 2005, 02:36 PM
whoa boys...

The wrx time is 0-100km/h (62mph). the VXr is 0-60mph

meaning the wrx actually has more like a 0.5-0.7 sec advantage.

rjastra
17th November 2005, 02:39 PM
Hmm...level peg with an SL55 and beat the CTS-V...this is no slouch ! ! !

Imma gunna get me one

SL55 = in the wet (note the W).

And... both cars you are comparing it to are 1800-2000kg monsters trying to lap a rather tight track.

A more even comparison is the Megane Cup which laps faster than the VXR yet has less power (ugly bugger though)

woody
17th November 2005, 03:22 PM
and also note the (JC's) addition to the time.. meaning it was Jeremy Clarksons own car and he asked the stig to go gentle on it.

Mr T
17th November 2005, 04:02 PM
SL55 = in the wet (note the W).

Arhh....that sorta pulls it in line a bit ! ! !:(

Mr T
17th November 2005, 04:18 PM
whoa boys...

Just done some research cause you through me off a bit there...

Subaru (http://subaru.com.au/explore/impreza/specifications.asp?body=Sedan&grade=WRX) quote 5.9 0-100KM/H

HSV (http://www.hsv.com.au/vxr/vxr.html) quote 6.2 0-100KM/H

Either way...remove the awd benefit (say, any straight line start from over 20KM/H) and I agree with that journo in a straight line the VXR will be quicker.

The WRX does roughly 14.0 1/4 and the VXR roughly 14.2 but I bet the VXR has a higher trap speed.

dug74
17th November 2005, 04:51 PM
whoa boys...

If you also watched some other footage about the cars..you would have noticed it was tested straight line 0 -100 on 18" wheels and they had to do a gear change just before the speedo reached 100kms....they also said if the car was on 19" they wouldnt need to make that gear change from 1st to 2nd and the car would have been between 0.1 to 0.4sec faster.

Cheers
DUG74

Red AH SRI T
17th November 2005, 04:51 PM
I'd happily have the VXR

or the Megane RenaultSport Cup ;)

CORZZA
17th November 2005, 05:50 PM
if the HSV lost abit of weight! what a demon it can be!

aussie_in_london
18th November 2005, 01:58 AM
if the HSV lost abit of weight! what a demon it can be!

on saying that

the VXR brand manager Stu Harris let me in on an idea vauxhall are kicking around at present, also autocar mag cought wind of it 2 weeks ago

"Shane,

Its an idea we're kicking around . Weight off would be nearer 90kg .

Overall weight is fairly important but if we can shed the weight from the front and move to a near 50 : 50 weight distribution then the benefit to handling on a track is substantial

stu"

aussie_in_london
18th November 2005, 02:03 AM
If you also watched some other footage about the cars..you would have noticed it was tested straight line 0 -100 on 18" wheels and they had to do a gear change just before the speedo reached 100kms....they also said if the car was on 19" they wouldnt need to make that gear change from 1st to 2nd and the car would have been between 0.1 to 0.4sec faster.

Cheers
DUG74

your on the right track
the claimed 6.2 sec was achieved on 19" wheels
where as the standard 18's have recorded a time of 6.3 sec 0-60 miles.
With 18's the gear change from 2nd to 3rd is required at 58 mph where as the 19's can run 2nd through to 62mph following this its fair play for the rest of the 1/4 mile stretch with many believe the 18's will record a slightly faster time, something to do with physics and stuff (to far back for me to remember how it works lol)

btm
18th November 2005, 07:55 AM
its amazing how much difference an extra inch on the wheel can make....

aussie_in_london
18th November 2005, 09:19 AM
hmmm

I'm not doubting what you read.. but i cant see how the new front drive vxr can outlaunch a wrx

new/old wrx do 0-100 in 5.8 .. while the vxr will be quick, i cant see how a stock fwd car can get enough traction to beat that..

around the twisties, a fwd can keep up i.e. clio sport

what mag was this at?

0-100 isnt what it is all about, thats just one figure of comparison

Autocar magazine

subaru's progressive power delivery outgunned by astra's turbo hit,
show the impreza a twisty road and it comes alive, astra almost too alive, and slower as a result, but still engaging. There is little to choose between them in outright performance even if they achieve it in very different ways
unquote

JohnBu
18th November 2005, 09:20 AM
its amazing how much difference an extra inch on the wheel can make....

its also amazing what an extra inch can do to girls also :)

back on topic..

anyway go the VXR.. i'll consider getting a 2nd hand one in a couple of year to replace my astra turbo.. (i personally cannot justify the depreciation of registering a brand new car)..

has HSV confirmed its coming to Aust?

JohnBu
18th November 2005, 09:24 AM
0-100 isnt what it is all about, thats just one figure of comparison

Autocar magazine

subaru's progressive power delivery outgunned by astra's turbo hit,
show the impreza a twisty road and it comes alive, astra almost too alive, and slower as a result, but still engaging. There is little to choose between them in outright performance even if they achieve it in very fifferent ways
unquote

sorry i misinterpreted what you said..

i agree once rolling awd loses its advantages...

i think i hope they (vxr) fix compared to my astra turbo is the steering.. i find it lacks feels and is slow just off centre

aussie_in_london
18th November 2005, 09:33 AM
VXR's steering is very responsive
even the astra 888 doesnt compare with the VXR.

Lotus work on the VXR
changed the dampers/struts, springs, roll bars, moved the roll centres,
new front knuckle and steering maps,
quite radically compared to previous astras

rjastra
18th November 2005, 10:33 AM
Is everyone forgetting the WRX now has a 2.5L engine :)

Mr T
18th November 2005, 10:47 AM

Even with the 2.5L, its still 7KW down on the VXR...

InSaNe^Sna1L
18th November 2005, 11:18 AM

Good point.....

As a few mentioned already, the Euro golf R32 would be a heaps better buy than the WRX. It may not be quicker off the mark but would still be hella fun to drive. And probably more comfortable.

Here are some new specs too

WRX Std (F/AWD) - 169kw 2.5ltr 4cyl with 320nm 0-100 5.9secs (subaru.com.au)
VW Golf GTi (FF) - 147kw 2ltr 4cyl turbo 280nm 0-100 6.9 for Auto, 7.2 for Man (volkswagon.com.au)
VW Golf R32 (F/AWD) - 177kw 3.2ltr 6cyl 320nm 0-60miles 5.9secs (random site)
VXR (didn't specify engine placement and drive train) - 176kw 2ltr turbo 4cyl 320nm 0-100 6.2secs (from Holden.com.au)

CORZZA
18th November 2005, 08:35 PM
on saying that

the VXR brand manager Stu Harris let me in on an idea vauxhall are kicking around at present, also autocar mag cought wind of it 2 weeks ago

"Shane,

Its an idea we're kicking around . Weight off would be nearer 90kg .

Overall weight is fairly important but if we can shed the weight from the front and move to a near 50 : 50 weight distribution then the benefit to handling on a track is substantial

stu"

so they gonna do it?

aussie_in_london
18th November 2005, 09:45 PM

thats what was put up against the VXR in the UK
the new facelifter 2.5 lt

aussie_in_london
18th November 2005, 09:48 PM
Good point.....

As a few mentioned already, the Euro golf R32 would be a heaps better buy than the WRX. It may not be quicker off the mark but would still be hella fun to drive. And probably more comfortable.

Here are some new specs too

WRX Std (F/AWD) - 169kw 2.5ltr 4cyl with 320nm 0-100 5.9secs (subaru.com.au)
VW Golf GTi (FF) - 147kw 2ltr 4cyl turbo 280nm 0-100 6.9 for Auto, 7.2 for Man (volkswagon.com.au)
VW Golf R32 (F/AWD) - 177kw 3.2ltr 6cyl 320nm 0-60miles 5.9secs (random site)
VXR (didn't specify engine placement and drive train) - 176kw 2ltr turbo 4cyl 320nm 0-100 6.2secs (from Holden.com.au)

interesting time of the R32 0-60 miles you put up
the facts in Europe / UK have it at 6.4 sec time real world time and also on the VW website, possibly quicker with DSG, but alot of extra money to be spent on a car already going for £25 grand standard also the R32 has run some slower lap times (only slightly) than the OPC/VXR in recent German mag tests
Hockenhiem short circuit , Astra 1 18.3 , Golf R32 1 18,4 and BMW 130i 1 19,8

CORZZA
18th November 2005, 09:50 PM
so whats the ideal size to getthe best times?

aussie_in_london
18th November 2005, 10:36 PM
so they gonna do it?

still on the drawing board but most probably
the VXR brand manager wouldnt have told me about it i believe
if it had no chance of hitting the streets, doubt you guys will see it
as it will probably run as a limited edition but who knows
'watch this space'

Brett
19th November 2005, 09:33 PM
I dont know if you guys saw a recent Evo mag where they ran the Vxr , the GTI, and the megane, against each other. Over the 1/4 mile the vxr won, with a 15.2, and the megane and gti both ran 15.3, I was very dissapointed by the vxrs times, as it seems slower then a stock previous model sri turbo.

aussie_in_london
20th November 2005, 12:10 AM
also on that fact EVO mag also posted the slowest 0-60 mile time of 6.7 sec compared with 6.3 recorded by autocar mag with a 15 sec quarter mile,
best time to date that i have actually seen at the tuner GP was 14.7 sec. Also remember the 1/4 mile run against the 3 on TG, deffo a larger gap between the GTi and VXR than .1 sec, more like 1.5 plus sec.
but remember all these times have so far been recorded in pre production models as there is still no production models out there, hopefully for not to much longer.

CORZZA
22nd November 2005, 12:52 PM
True!

i had 17" on the little corsa and my pull off through 1st and 2nd was slower!