PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Hi Guys!

JP Dyno
2nd April 2004, 07:31 PM
it looks like i hit the jackpot! You guys look like the perfect people to talk to!

Obviously im a new comer, B-). Im purchasing a brand new Astra SRI turbo in the next couple of months and im looking for tuning places and seeing what minor mods i can do for a bit of extra kick (thinking intake, exhaust & chip)

I work in Holden Engineering at F'Bend, But the guys at work weren't much help in aftermarket modification stuff, not for the Opels anyway.

I was originally thinking powerchip, but i heard a few horror stories from customers at my parents shop (engine reconditioners, mainly V8 street rod & racing motors), So i started looking elsewhere.

I was wondering if a few of you folk can get me on the right direction?

From the few posts here it would seem UNICHIP is the best place to start?
I can get friends to help and do the exhaust and intake fairly cheaply, So i guess ill get that done first.

Are there any UNICHIP installers in Melbourne/Geelong region you guys can recommend? (and $$price?$$)
Are UNICHIP's Dyno Tuned? If so ill make sure i get the intake and exhaust set up first...Otherwise it doesnt really matter.

Thanx ahead for any help! Looks like Ill be a regular around here for the twelve months or so i keep this Astra!

Degen-Astra
2nd April 2004, 07:38 PM
WELCOME!!!

Nice choice in motor mate.

As for uni-chip dealers check it out here - http://www.unichip.com.au/wrx/wrx_agents_aus.htm

Hope it helps.

My04SRi
2nd April 2004, 08:36 PM
welcome im pretty new myself and i came to this site coz of the same reason you did :D enjoy your stay :D

Degen-Astra
2nd April 2004, 09:12 PM
Nice to see a big influx of us Mexicans (as our NSW counterparts like to refer to us as!!)

mr_astra_retired
3rd April 2004, 12:41 AM
hey and welcome , well ya come to the right place for info .

On my SRiT ive got a cat back 3 inch exhaust and k&n panel filter with a de-restricted air box , with this done you can hear the turbo spool up much louder then stock.

The concensus about powerchip is its a not a real good money spender for the power , unichip or AMD are a better choice for ecu upgrades.

And its better to do exhaust and filter mods before ecu .

cheers

Steven

Anonymous
4th April 2004, 10:18 AM
Hey welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy your stay.
From what i have read and heard thru the grapevine, AMD is the way to go, but as Steve has said, get exhaust, intake and other mods done first before you get the ecu done. This way you get the most out of the ecu remap.

frankie9fingers
4th April 2004, 11:30 AM
Hi and welcome. Anyone fall in the resin dip at the plant lately? (i've heard stories about that vat b4 they got the robot to do all the dipping)
Also it's funny to hear they want nothing to do with it coz you guys have got german techs in there every second day to check the cnc's.
Also, also which division you work in? i got a guy i used to go trade school with in R&D dept, he's a fitter and turner. can't remember his name!

Finally, i back the others with going AMD. there's a place in richmond, Turblue will be able to give you the details. It's also wise to do that last to get the most out of your mods.

JP Dyno
4th April 2004, 12:04 PM
Thanx for the warm welcome guys. B-)

hehe I dont spend much time in the plants, so i wouldnt really know *lol*. I work in Experimental, in Instrumentation (No, We have nothing to do with the speedo's and fuel guages. different Instrumentation.)

hmm The last fitter apprentice i know that was in Experimental is Charlie, I Think he made full tradesmen last year or the year before.. Not sure.

As for the other employees, Engineers are usually very unco-operative when it comes to after market mods (All the work they put in to get engines running smooth with power and good fuel efficiency), and the mechanics that are around are mostly V8 orientated, Not to mention none of them can really take a Tech-2 outside to tune up peoples cars.

Theres something in the powerchip thread about the ECU eventually writing over the new maps??

Ill probably ask all these questions over again and see who is doing the best job in a couple of months once I've got the car, run it in and done the other mods. I got the quote for the car yesterday **All Excited***.

frankie9fingers
6th April 2004, 04:11 PM
Thats his name! Charlie!! big bloke with a hz pemier(?) if you see him again, tell him frank from trade school (the blacksmith) stop going for smokos every 5min you lazy b!tch

JP Dyno
6th April 2004, 05:10 PM
ahaha
Well, He gets that told that everyday,
It doesnt seem to phase him though. *L*