PDA

View Full Version : How-to: Launch an M3

pred8r
1st November 2005, 08:07 PM
Found this thought Id share, not that many of us would get to drive one but just incase......
Wonder what else itll work on?

This is a trick for extremely fast acceleration in the BMW M3. (It is unknown if it works for the M3 CSL).

You will need:

* A BMW M3 with the Sequential Manual gearbox
* A long, preferably straight road
* A healthy disregard for road rules, and human life.

**Do this while the car is stopped**

1. Switch off the stability sytem and select shift program six
2. Switch the engine to sport mode
3. With the hand shifter in drive, hold it in the downshift position and press the gas pedal

The engine will rev to the pre-programmed rpm (5000 rpm on the European software, 1800-2500 on the American software

Release the shifter: the car will launch off the line with no wheelspin at all, and fly off. It is advisable to keep your hand on the shifter to shift into second, as the engine is already at 5000rpm!

ultim8DTM5
1st November 2005, 08:32 PM
2500rpm on the US software? HAHAHA

JasonGilholme
1st November 2005, 08:33 PM
sick the car has built in launch control!!! wicked

astra_city
1st November 2005, 11:16 PM
yeah the M3's are awesome...I've been in one for a test drive (wasn't driving unfortunately!), didn't get to try out the launch control though :P

Poogene2001
2nd November 2005, 01:10 AM
A rich ****er friend of mine has an 2003 M3 convertible (daddy got it for him). I was lucky enough to witness the launch assistance programme from the passenger seat and although it is impressive, the wheels do lose a bit of grip as they struggle to put the power down. The more impressive thing about the M3 is the brutality of the its sequential shift in the most aggresive sport mode (possible 6?). It just whacks the gears in with no hesitation, almost hurts for the shift to 2nd and 3rd!

Mr T
2nd November 2005, 08:46 AM
Yeah thats the SMG gearbox...

...hahha...use it 8 times and you void your warranty

Namus
2nd November 2005, 03:17 PM
haha nice :)

SSS_Hoon
2nd November 2005, 03:37 PM
yeah i have been in a m3 with this and gotta say its all good, i actually think its 12 times but unsure exactly(unless you know the service department and then you can get it reset mmmwhaaaa).

the 1800-2500 also goes for us aswell, although if you get friendly enough with your service department they can simply flash yours with the euro version all good and it makes a difference.

traction all depends on the tires i guess.

but the gearbox is similar to that in my g/fs golf mmm gotta love it except golf call it DSG not SMG, actually golf bought the plans for it back in the 70's or 80s off porshce as they thought it would cost too much to develop.

SSS_Hoon

Poogene2001
2nd November 2005, 10:06 PM
Umm... I could be wrong, but SMG stands for sequential manual gearbox which is a clutchless manual sort of gearbox.... and DSG is a system that partially engages a gear both higher and lower than the gear a car is driving in, in order to quicken the change (makes for a seamlessly smooth gear change). So as far as I understand, the two things are not the same!
At the same time, I could (and definitely can) be wrong!:confused:

rjastra
2nd November 2005, 10:38 PM
but the gearbox is similar to that in my g/fs golf mmm gotta love it except golf call it DSG not SMG, actually golf bought the plans for it back in the 70's or 80s off porshce as they thought it would cost too much to develop.

They are not the same.

The DSG employs 2 clutches. One for 1/3/5 the other for 2/4/6. It's what allows it to change from one gear to the other so quickly and smoothly.

The smg gearbox on the otherhand has but one clutch. And part of the reason why just about all SMG like gearboxes are rubbish :)

SSS_Hoon
3rd November 2005, 04:38 AM
hence y i said its similar not the same did i not, hence y the DSG is essentially a auto without a clutch pedal and y its way better thenthe smg box and quicker in the changes also.

SSS_Hoon

rjastra
3rd November 2005, 12:33 PM
hence y the DSG is essentially a auto without a clutch pedal and y its way better thenthe smg box and quicker in the changes also

Not really... there is no torque converter like an auto.. IN fact it is nothing like an automatic gearbox in design.

InsaneAsylum
3rd November 2005, 12:39 PM
USELESS!! i will never get to drive an M3

...interesting info though :)

SSS_Hoon
3rd November 2005, 04:00 PM
Not really... there is no torque converter like an auto.. IN fact it is nothing like an automatic gearbox in design.

yes taht is true but i simplified it for those that dont know what all that is, there is no clutch pedal and you can leave it in gear while stopped at a set of lights and it wont stall, too some that is a auto.

SSS_Hoon

zoidberg
3rd November 2005, 08:00 PM
An M3 is my ultimate car cos i'd never go stupid and spend 300k or more on a car. But anyway, If you were buying an M3 then one would think you were "A Driver" and would have an interest in performance car so if you were a "Driver" then why the hell would you buy anything other than a REAL manual.

You see these ppl cruising round in cars like that but in actual fact half of them wouldn't know what most of the stuff did let alone ever use it. They'd crap thier pants if they revved it above 3000 rpm.....

freaktown
3rd November 2005, 11:07 PM
okay. wait wait wait wait wait!

BMW not only Builds and designs a "Launch System" for the M3 but installs it on all M3's.

But then says "Oh, by the way while your just signing that Document there so we can take your money, i should warn you, Use that "Launch System" 8 times and your warranty is void"

Thats bull****.

And i know somepeople will argue, but you can do stupid launches on most cars and if you do it repeatedly, you will damage something and the dealer will void your warranty. But thats not the same as building it into a car and then saying, oh but dont touch it!

Thats like getting a Lapdance, you know you shouldnt touch but you cant help it! :)

Poogene2001
4th November 2005, 01:59 AM
There is the other option of reving the engine upto 5000rpm and then slamming it from Neutral to Drive... that has a similar effect on the longevity of an engine.... ie NOT GOOD

blueraven
4th November 2005, 02:39 AM
erm.. i must be missing something....

why not just learn to launch the car with out assistance? somehow i dont think it takes a nuclear physics degree.....

Mr T
4th November 2005, 10:12 AM
so if you were a "Driver" then why the hell would you buy anything other than a REAL manual.

For the same reason people dont use Australia post anymore...Email is easier and more effecient.

Some people embrace technology, others fight it!

zoidberg
4th November 2005, 10:44 AM
For the same reason people dont use Australia post anymore...Email is easier and more effecient.

Some people embrace technology, others fight it!

Hey dont get me wrong!!

I'm not fighting it in anyway what so ever. I love new gadgets but an M3 is a performance car and im just not a fan of an auto being in one

Mr T
4th November 2005, 11:50 AM
No, No, ... I knew what you meant...;)

Just making the observation, as were you !

astra_city
4th November 2005, 01:11 PM
erm.. i must be missing something....

why not just learn to launch the car with out assistance? somehow i dont think it takes a nuclear physics degree.....

I'd guess it's because with the SMG, you can't control what revs you launch from like in a manual, so the launch control allows you to launch from higher revs.

Mr T
4th November 2005, 01:44 PM
And possibly also because there are not too many tallented people that can successfully launch a 13 sec car and acheive its maximum accelleration...

...the ones that can/think the can buy HSV GTS's and do it the hard way and save a few bucks!

SSS_Hoon
4th November 2005, 04:30 PM
if you were a "Driver" then why the hell would you buy anything other than a REAL manual.

mmm coz if you were a real driver then you would know that the time inbetween gear changes is crutial in terms of times and keeping the engine in the usable rev range(gotta love that dont ya glenn).

hence the design of the SMG and its a real manual still has a clutch pedal don't it :lol:

Hey dont get me wrong!!

I'm not fighting it in anyway what so ever. I love new gadgets but an M3 is a performance car and im just not a fan of an auto being in one

the M3 aint a auto hence the M=manual in SMG(i think :lol: )

same reason as above a performance car is built for exaclty that for performance, a manual takes longer to change then some autos depending on the driver obviouisly so with the SMG they are tring to get the ebst of both worlds there.

and well most of the top drag cars are all autos or sequential manuals even the top fuel cars.

:end rant now :)

SSS_Hoon

astra_city
5th November 2005, 02:16 AM
And possibly also because there are not too many tallented people that can successfully launch a 13 sec car and acheive its maximum accelleration...

...the ones that can/think the can buy HSV GTS's and do it the hard way and save a few bucks!

Well I still think that a 'talented' person would use the launch control feature if trying to get the best 1/4 mile time simply because of the higher launch rpm. Launching from low revs in the normal mode obviously wouldn't be as quick....I don't think it's simply a matter of all SMG drivers not knowing how to drive a manual!

And you can't really compare a GTS and a M3 - quite a different appeal and in my opinion, not in the same league as all round cars (although you'd want the M3 to be better given the price obviously).

Poogene2001
5th November 2005, 12:25 PM
hence the design of the SMG and its a real manual still has a clutch pedal don't it :lol:

I cant tell if thats sarcasm or not...
but no theres no clutch pedal in an SMG

SSS_Hoon
6th November 2005, 01:16 PM
I cant tell if thats sarcasm or not...
but no theres no clutch pedal in an SMG

no it wasnt sarcasm, as im fairly sure the m3 that i was in with it had 3 pedals now unless the newer ones dont run it this one deffinatly had it, afaik it was only needed when stopped and taking off.

SSS_Hoon

ultim8DTM5
7th November 2005, 12:45 AM
Nope they only have two and a dead pedal. Always have in the S54 (E46 M3 SMGII 01>) and the S52 (E36 SMG 96>99)

SSS_Hoon
7th November 2005, 03:46 PM
Nope they only have two and a dead pedal. Always have in the S54 (E46 M3 SMGII 01>) and the S52 (E36 SMG 96>99)

ok i stand corrected then, as i was only in the passengers seat it looked as if there were 3 pedals and everytime we stopped or took off looked like he used it.

mmm interesting.

SSS_Hoon

ultim8DTM5
7th November 2005, 06:25 PM
Its easy to make the mistake, as the dead pedal is of the shiny alloy design as the other two.