PDA

View Full Version : 20% tint

1OPL2C
27th October 2005, 07:27 PM
i'v neva been inside a car with 20% tint... so can any1 tell me if its hard to see out from the inside? eg.. can u see your blind spot if u turn your head while driving at night, or even can u see your side mirrors properly at nite.

just want to know if visibility for the driver is bad..

EL BURITO
27th October 2005, 08:12 PM
y do you want to put illeagal tint on your car

Clint
27th October 2005, 08:18 PM
aparently mine is the darkest legal tint, 25% or 30% i think. i was told that by tint a car, its written on the windows i will check later. there is no difference really from the inside looking out. i really dont see how i have the darkest legal tint cause mine isnt that dark compared to a lot of ones i see. in the day its slightly darker looking than no tint and at night it looks slightly mirror like and black. but it will not affect visibility at all

NUTTTR
27th October 2005, 10:31 PM
Clint, you have 30% tint, meaning it cuts 30% of light, i have 35% tint (legal) which means it cuts 35% of the light, it's not dark at all....

By 20% tint he means it cuts 80% of light......... In darkness "20%" tint is definately very dark...

1OPL2C
27th October 2005, 10:37 PM
i saw a pic of 20%.. and its heaps dark.. so mite just get 25-30% if its possible.. 35% is still light!

low astra
27th October 2005, 10:42 PM
my rear window is supposed to be T15, its easy 2 see through,

If you want a real dark look just get your rear window done with illegal tint and the rest with legal

its legal ( in qld ) and gives the blackest u can get while being legal

1OPL2C
27th October 2005, 10:49 PM
how come it will be the darkest legal if u get the illegal rear windscreen and the rest of windows legal?

EL BURITO
27th October 2005, 11:06 PM
probly because you can see your blind spots through the side windows. How would it be leagal to not have rear window on Vans and decals and such i think that might be the reson.

I paid $180 for mine from Tintacar. Darkest leagal with life time warranty looks good. If you have dark interior the tint looks darker. The back window on a hatch leting los of light in would help if it nocked most of the light.

1OPL2C
27th October 2005, 11:23 PM
so would it look funny if i had legal front windows, then darker rear windows

SSS_Hoon
28th October 2005, 04:30 AM
no alot of cars have legal front and darker rears i was told that it aint illigal as long as the front is legal, dont quote me on that though.

SSS_Hoon

JasonGilholme
28th October 2005, 07:31 AM
Just remember that if you have a smaller car the tint will be more effective then on a bigger car. My mate who works at a tinting place has a comonhore and it has 20 percent on it and its not too dark, He put the same tint on a mitsubishi mirage and it was dark as anythin, both from the inside and outside.

remember this when making your decision. Also alot of good tinting places will have some glass that already has the tint on it so you can see what it looks like.

Cheers

Jason

R3N
28th October 2005, 01:42 PM
no alot of cars have legal front and darker rears i was told that it aint illigal as long as the front is legal, dont quote me on that though.

SSS_Hoon

...too late

1OPL2C
28th October 2005, 03:00 PM
ok.. i had a loko at some car's he had, and 20% isnt that dark at all. it looks dark when you stand far away, but wen u come like 10 meters away you can see in.

so i got it done 20%

JasonGilholme
28th October 2005, 03:01 PM
good choice.

SSS_Hoon
28th October 2005, 03:16 PM
yeah when i get my sss redone that is what i will be getting 20% all round.

my g/f got 30 on her Golf GTi and its not that bad at all

SSS_Hoon

Wattie
28th October 2005, 04:20 PM
mines daaaark, but i dunno how much.. hehe its ok but when you park at night you need to wind down the window to see in the mirror, and if you but the interior lights on all you see is yourself in them haha
other than that its friiiikin awesome!

kirssn
28th October 2005, 04:40 PM
i drive a commodore where the tint is as dark, if not darker that watties and i hate driving the damn car. esp in the night. i refuse to change lanes unless absolutely necessary and tend to drive in a different manner to which i drive my own car. way too many blind spots. driving in the day is ok but if its an over cast day, it can be just as bad as driving at night. windows down to park etc like wattie - cannot wait til the power windows get put in so i can see a bit more of whats around me with the mirrors.

Bernard Siong
28th October 2005, 05:57 PM
i have 20% on my civic now
depends on the film
dyed 20% are crap!
i got a metal film but the least reflective ones because i like the matt black look better on a white car..
on my astra i had the darkest legal which is 35% and that looked pretty dark because the astra interior is very dark and the windows have a slight factory tint.
in sydney having darker tint in the back and lighter in the front is still illegal unless your vehicle is for commercial use.
if you want your windows to look dark leave your interior stock dude, cause the white throw on seat covers and the blingy silver things will make your cars windows look lighter

RapidSRi
28th October 2005, 06:08 PM
I have seen grey import 4wd's with darker front door windows than the back door windows, and looks a bit odd

the back screen would look okay darker i rekn just keep the sides the same

1OPL2C
28th October 2005, 06:09 PM
yeh i had the metalise film..
and i can still see out from the inside very clearly..

&..how did u know i had throw on white seat covers haha...

Alfonzo
28th October 2005, 07:04 PM
*sigh* have fun reversing at night.

Seriously, I can never understand why people want to put a knowingly illegal product on your car just to have "heaps dark" windowz. May as well cut your springs as well, it'll get you heaps lowz too, and it's about as legal too.

I had DOT30 on my Lancer, and it was dark enough. Even in direct sunlight. And it was on a white body too. Here:

Without tint (http://members.iinet.net.au/~baedmunds/tim/Lancer/104-0418_IMG.jpg) (2 hours and 83km old, actually)
With tint (http://members.iinet.net.au/~baedmunds/tim/Lancer/withwheels/105-0501_IMG.jpg)

FYI it was Tint-A-Car Ash Cool.

1OPL2C
28th October 2005, 07:18 PM
umm.. f rom ur picture, you cant see into the sides.. mine during the day you can.

and it doesnt look dat dark from the inside at nite..

Alfonzo
29th October 2005, 04:40 PM
So darkest legal 30% is definately dark enough then? :) :p

1OPL2C
29th October 2005, 05:18 PM
there wasnt 30% wen i asked.. only had 35% then next darkest is 20% which is wot i got.

16vopl
29th October 2005, 05:40 PM
35% is the darkest legal here, and im pretty sure its the same in nsw.

please take into account the different angles your veiwing the tint from... obviously looking at the lancer you are effectively looking through two windows with DOT30 tint on all windows eccept the front.

as for tints, ill be getting mine from TKO in perth and having it sent here. red reflective but legal darkness.

Seriously, I can never understand why people want to put a knowingly illegal product on your car just to have "heaps dark" windowz. May as well cut your springs as well, it'll get you heaps lowz too, and it's about as legal too. there are other benefits aswell... the darker tint the less fading and interior will cop, also the vinyl on the doors wont bubble as soon as it would in direct sunlight.
some tints will also help reflect light and stop it from heating up as much during the day.

no doubt you knew that but just wanted to rain on someones parade like the old 'guru' or some sh*t.

Fungusfee
29th October 2005, 05:46 PM
i got 3m scotchtint black on mine and its pretty dark. guy who sold it told me it was the darkest legal tint as well (seems to be a trend here) but dunno wat percentage.

kinda odd though, sometimes looks lighter than i remember, then other times it looks darker. either way it's good for security 'cos you can't see in the car

Alfonzo
29th October 2005, 09:04 PM
My bad, I just checked my reciept. It was 35%. Darkest legal. This one was pretty high up in the UV blocking ability too.

Yes the camera angles are slightly different, this wasn't planned to sway the outcome. It really was dark regardless of the angle, that was just the best picture to display said darkness (as I no longer have the ability to take photos of that car :) )

However no, I didn't want to just "rain on someone's parade". I find it funny that people are just so willing to throw caution into the wind purely so they look better. After we had this (http://opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6666) discussion also :)

16vopl
29th October 2005, 11:55 PM
i know what your saying but i dont know of anyone whos been defected yet, not here anyway.
ive heard stories though sure

im willing to throw caution to the wind because, door cards bubbling is a common problem and redoing the door costs more then replacing a tint after a defect.
i generally carry a reasonable amount of money in my wallet and a broken window and flogged wallet are more expensive then getting a tint replaced. (if i was to leave it, or my phone and someone broke in...)
for the newer cars replacing a tint once or twice and maintaining a reasonably nice interior might improve resale etc etc.

its a chance im willing to take.

low astra
30th October 2005, 01:45 AM
i just checked up on the laws about window tint,

your front drivers/ passengers windows can be T35, all other side/rear windows can be as black as u like ( evan painted black ) as long as u have 2 wing mirrors,

also about grey import 4WD's having windows lighter at the front darker at the rear, have a good look at 4WD's, my Dad's Discovery came standard like that as do many of the new toyota 4WD's, i think most mafactures are leading towards this trend at the moment

R3N
30th October 2005, 05:43 AM
make sure you check your own state laws first...

Clint
31st October 2005, 12:56 AM
i checked mine and ive got t35 on all the windows, it doesnt seem as black as what ive seen on many other cars but it must be unless they're using an illegal tint

SXXXI
1st November 2005, 05:52 PM
i have 15% on my windows and i would never go any lighter than that. I don't care if its illegal. What cop pulls over riced up astra anyway...none! 15% is the best tint as it blocks the most uv rays out of any of the tints on the market, any darker and it starts to absorb the heat. People tend to have darker tint on their back windscreen or rear windows on a two door coz they cannot be wound down. The cops check the % by slipping a little computer thing over the glass. If they cant test it like that then theres not a lot they can do.

16vopl
1st November 2005, 07:11 PM
im pretty sure here its a lazer device and can be placed anywhere.
i think youll find any tint will absorb heat and that 5-10% wont do squat in terms of how much heat it actually absorbs.

Petey
3rd November 2005, 05:50 PM
Hey all,
I've done the same as some others here. Gotten the darkest tint for the rear windows & normal (legal) tint for sides. No problem with 3 cars done in the last 6 years!

You can't really tell the difference from outside the car either. And internally it's the same, no problem looking out. I do notice that the tints keep the interior vinyls, cloth/velour from drying up & losing their colour.

Also never had a problem with the jacks either...